Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Shooters FORM Forum » Hitting Left When Shooting Three Under

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hitting Left When Shooting Three Under
Outrigger
Member # 7151

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Outrigger   Email Outrigger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I transitioned to three under a couple of months ago in an effort to improve my shooting from an elevation (a treestand). Much of the time, I feel like I have made good progress and am shooting pretty good, but frequently I hit left. If I change back to split finger for a few shots, it seems to bring me back on target (at least my windage). Any thoughts on what might cause me to hit left when using three under?

--------------------
Greg

Posts: 43 | From: Middle Tennessee | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tracker12
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 38129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tracker12   Email tracker12   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My left hits are usually a result of collapsing during the release. I did find I collapse more often with 3 under than with split.

--------------------
T ZZZZ

Posts: 1790 | From: Maryland | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SAVIOUR68
Contributor 2015
Member # 35651

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SAVIOUR68   Email SAVIOUR68   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IMO it may be due to your anchor point from split to 3under, try to change your anchor slightly to adjust it.
Posts: 461 | From: UNITED STATES OF TEXAS | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
olddogrib
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1481

Icon 1 posted      Profile for olddogrib   Email olddogrib   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't know if it would even be a factor in your case, but sometimes folks change anchor location and/or finger, (i.e. go from index to middle)when switching to 3U from split. My index finger is only about 2/3rds as long as my middle and it caused my anchor to move further away from my face. Things like that can best be compensated for if you figure out what you changed. My release changes all the time and I'm not even trying!

--------------------
"Wakan Tanka
Wakan Tanka
Pilamaya
Wichoni heh"

Posts: 1661 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matt Parker
2017 Contributor
Member # 40902

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matt Parker   Email Matt Parker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had the same problem, eventually learned that the higher anchor was causing my anchor to be on my jawbone which put the arrow at a angle to the target. I had to lower my anchor to keep the arrow in line with the target.

--------------------
Matt Parker

Posts: 82 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
McDave
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 10587

Icon 1 posted      Profile for McDave   Email McDave   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If your groups are tight, I would go with the others and think that your new 3 under anchor is causing the nock of the arrow to be to the right of where it was when you shot split (assuming you are a RH shooter). You can either work on getting the arrow back under your eye, or tilt your head over the arrow if that's not possible.

If your groups are not tight, you may have picked up some form issues when you switched, just because of the different feel of the shot. There are a lot of form issues that could cause a RH shooter to impact left: torqueing the string or bow, not getting the string elbow back behind the arrow, creeping, peaking, alignment, etc. These things tend to sneak in from time to time, even when we don't change anything, but changing something makes us focus more on whatever it is that we changed and forget to focus on some other things that are important.

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

I'm a man, and I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Posts: 4281 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©