Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Shooters FORM Forum » Talking yourself through the shot while shooting at game? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Talking yourself through the shot while shooting at game?
jonsimoneau
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 1224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jonsimoneau   Email jonsimoneau   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a friend who told me he does this while shooting at deer. Said it helps him to remain in control when the deer offers a shot. Anybody else do this?
Posts: 3149 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jonsimoneau
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 1224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jonsimoneau   Email jonsimoneau   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think he means he talks himself through his shot routine.
Posts: 3149 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SAVIOUR68
Contributor 2015
Member # 35651

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SAVIOUR68   Email SAVIOUR68   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWq2Qpq9reA
Jon this helps work to train the mind with or with out target panic, good info for solid shot control

Posts: 461 | From: UNITED STATES OF TEXAS | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jonsimoneau
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 1224

Saviour68 that is good stuff. I can't wait to watch subsequent videos by Joel.
McDave
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 10587

Icon 1 posted      Profile for McDave   Email McDave   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't like the idea of talking or thinking myself through the shot in words. For me, any cognitive thoughts, which are mainly thoughts in words, block my ability to be aware of my body physically. Instead, I like to be aware of the different parts of my body that need to be checked during the shot sequence without thinking about it in words.

This is different from a mantra, which Joel recommends. A mantra is one word or a couple of words repeated over and over. The purpose of a mantra is to increase concentration on the most important part of the shot, by blocking out all other distracting thoughts. So in that sense, even though a mantra is words, it is the opposite of cognitive thoughts, since it is intended to block them out. Even though a mantra is words, the words lose meaning as such due to the constant repetition and solely serve to focus your concentration.

I found this difficult to do, at first, since I want my awareness to expand enough to notice any shot problems in time to stop the shot. Finally, after conversations with Joel, I understood that I have to do both, although not at the same time. During draw, I expand my awareness to the maximum extent possible. After I am at full draw, and am satisfied that I am set up properly, then I focus my concentration on holding and releasing the shot.

I'm going to be backpacking during the next week, and will be out of communication for a while, but if anyone has any questions about what I just said, I'll be happy to discuss it further when I return.

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

I'm a man, and I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Posts: 4281 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
slowbowjoe
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 34976

Icon 1 posted      Profile for slowbowjoe   Email slowbowjoe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
McDave has pretty well described how it works for me. I do most of my thinking between shots, or between sessions; during the shot, my attention is on the feel of alignment and the sight picture.

I think some folks process better one way, and some another.

Posts: 1383 | From: VT | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tracker12
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 38129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tracker12   Email tracker12   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a great article with Levi Morgan on some training tips. Now he is a compound shooter but his techniques can easily applied to traditional gear. Not sure I want to have to tai myself thru a shot. I would rather my subconscious take over from my training. But if that's what works for him go for it.

--------------------
T ZZZZ

Posts: 1790 | From: Maryland | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stonewall
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 42738

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stonewall   Email stonewall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm paying attention to the animal and watching the arrow , I don't ever remember thinking about drawing and shooting. It just seems to happen . But if I'm target shooting I go through a shot sequence
Posts: 179 | From: north carolina | Registered: Dec 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RC
Charter Member
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RC   Email RC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I focus on the critter and by shooting a whole lotta arrows the shot happens without thought. RC
Posts: 4948 | From: Baxley,Ga | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jonsimoneau
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 1224

RC I like your answer too. Obviously it works for you. You're a machine!
Terry Green
ADMIN
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Terry Green   Author's Homepage   Email Terry Green       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No I am too busy focusing on the window opening and then I'm too immersed in aiming to the point that sometimes I don't even remember drawing the bow.

--------------------
"An anchor point is not a destination, it's an evolution to execution" - Me

"It's important, when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Black Powder Gang ......... & www.loopaddictions.com

Posts: 31248 | From: GAWGIA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steelhead
Contributor 2014
Member # 9220

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steelhead   Email Steelhead   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ideally it happens naturally and without too much conscious effort.

I think picking the spot is the about as complex as it gets from a conscious standpoint.Then the shot should flow naturally.Not much difference than making a throw in baseball or shooting a jump shot in the heat of moment in a basketball game.All your practice should allow you to put it together without much cognitive interference.

Trust yourself,commit to the shot and shoot.My brain gets in the way if I think too much.

Posts: 4908 | From: Lake Orion MI. | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bisch
Contributor 2017
Member # 17432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bisch   Email Bisch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I rely on my 1000's of practice shots to get me thru my hunting shots! When I practice, I can pick apart almost every shot, and tell you what I did right or wrong! When I take a hunting shot, I don't remember much of anything about the mechanics of the shot.

Bisch

--------------------
Traditional Bowhunters of Texas Life Member
Lone Star Bowhunters Assn Life Member
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 11887 | From: Sonora, Texas | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fritz
Contributor 2010
Member # 2879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fritz   Email Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My brain can only handle one thing at a time. I burn my form in during practice, but at the time of the shot my only conscious thought is "pick a spot".

--------------------
God is good, all the time!!!

Posts: 1557 | From: Merryville,LA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
curlis
Contributor 2017
Member # 9765

Icon 1 posted      Profile for curlis   Email curlis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For me, thinking too much is a bad thing!

--------------------
Pick a spot and concentrate!

Posts: 1060 | From: Monroe, Ohio | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©