Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Shooters FORM Forum » Take a look at this

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Take a look at this
Crooked Stic
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2104

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crooked Stic   Email Crooked Stic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wear on the outer edge of the shelf pad. Shelf not cut to center.
 -

--------------------
High on Archery.

Posts: 3132 | From: Princeton IN. | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trenton G.
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trenton G.   Email Trenton G.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have the same issue on my longbow. Not sure why, possibly arrows not being tuned?
I'll be watching this thread to see responses from those who know much more than I do.

Posts: 450 | From: Boyne City, Michigan | Registered: Oct 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
crazynate
Banned
Member # 41944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for crazynate   Email crazynate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It happens with wider shelfs. My bob lee does it but it tunes fine so I don't worry about it. One thing that did help me is switching to shorter feathers that weren't so helical. I got better clearance that way
Posts: 853 | From: MI | Registered: Jul 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the rifleman
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 31319

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the rifleman   Email the rifleman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it was ken beck that explained this was why black widows make their bow w fairly narrow shelves in the longer YouTube video on tuning. Great video and explanation.
Posts: 492 | From: Ohio | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenneth butler
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45035

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kenneth butler   Email kenneth butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't have any qualms about taking the width of the shelf down but if you are not comfortable with wood work,keep working with the tune. Experiment with a softer strike plate and maybe bringing it out a tad. You can't go too much or you will need a lighter spine arrow. It would be good to know where your center line measurement is. You say it is not cut to center? What your bow weight and arrow spine and length are. Good luck. Ken
Posts: 188 | From: texas | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim Casto Jr
Contributor 2014
Member # 3606

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jim Casto Jr   Email Jim Casto Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm guessing your arrows are too stiff and you nocking point may be too low.

If neither of those is the issue, you may simply have to change your feather orientation; cock up, in, down or out.

So... what's your specs?

--------------------
"Archery is really very simple. You just have to do the exact same thing on every shot."
Bill Leslie, July 22, 2017

"Form is everything."
Al Cole, June 7, 2008

Posts: 1199 | From: WV | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
longbow fanatic 1
2017 Contributor
Member # 18603

Icon 1 posted      Profile for longbow fanatic 1   Email longbow fanatic 1   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Casto Jr:
I'm guessing your arrows are too stiff and you nocking point may be too low.

If neither of those is the issue, you may simply have to change your feather orientation; cock up, in, down or out.

So... what's your specs?

My thoughts exactly.
Posts: 2608 | From: Illinois | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenneth butler
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45035

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kenneth butler   Email kenneth butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you are right Jim. I got caught up in the shelf too wide thing and thinking his shooting was good just getting the shelf wear. I blew it on that one,just wasn't thinking. Ken
Posts: 188 | From: texas | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim Casto Jr
Contributor 2014
Member # 3606

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jim Casto Jr   Email Jim Casto Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To my notion, you didn't blow anything, Ken. That shelf is indeed a wide one. A fellow could have a decent (close) tune and the back of the arrow still wouldn't clear "that" shelf. Raising the nocking point may help some. Raising the nocking point won't make the arrow act any weaker, but, it may alleviate some contact on the shelf.

If I owned that bow, I'd probably shoot it off an elevated rest, or take a rasp and sandpaper to the shelf too. 8^)

--------------------
"Archery is really very simple. You just have to do the exact same thing on every shot."
Bill Leslie, July 22, 2017

"Form is everything."
Al Cole, June 7, 2008

Posts: 1199 | From: WV | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenneth butler
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45035

That would solve the problem but it looks like the OP didn't come back. Ken
Jackpine Boyz
Member # 45525

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jackpine Boyz   Email Jackpine Boyz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had the same issue. Now with my arrow tuning process I include aerosol athlete foot spray to the riser/arrow rest. You'll see a similar rub line, I then rotate the cock feather until I get the a clean shot without disturbing the powder. My main long bow like cock feather between 11 and 12 o'clock rather than the textbook 9 o clock (when looking from behind/right handed.) I agree otherwise that the shelf could be narrower. Fletching size and helicals can also affect contact points if you're papertuned.
Posts: 66 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©