Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Shooters FORM Forum » Draw length?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Draw length?
Bwhntr247
2017 Contributor
Member # 42859

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bwhntr247   Email Bwhntr247   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I check my draw length on my recurve or longbow I come up with 28 1/2". I've checked using someone to mark the arrow at the back of the riser and the paper square method. This is a half inch longer than my compound draw length, I feel comfortable locked in and not over extended. I'm just wondering if this is semi normal considering almost everything I read says it should be shorter. Thanks.

--------------------
Bear Black Bear #50
Browning Prep #25

And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer.

Posts: 47 | From: Catskills | Registered: Jan 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
McDave
Contributor 2017
Member # 10587

Icon 1 posted      Profile for McDave   Author's Homepage   Email McDave   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you are drawing the bow correctly, using your back muscles instead of just hauling back using your arm muscles, it should be okay. If you are just getting started in traditional archery, your draw length may change. Even later on, if you change your form, it may change again. Because of that, I would cut my arrows no shorter than 29 1/2" at this point.

I don't know why it would be longer than your compound draw length. Maybe something to do with the length of your mechanical release or a different anchor.

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

I'm a man, and I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Posts: 3599 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KeganM
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 40689

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KeganM   Author's Homepage   Email KeganM   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my experience folks who were properly set up on their compound and transition without overbowing will usually gain half an inch or so of draw length on single string bows because there's no D-loop or release.
Posts: 121 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bwhntr247
2017 Contributor
Member # 42859

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bwhntr247   Email Bwhntr247   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, that was kind of my thinking a lot of people shooting compound are over drawing.

--------------------
Bear Black Bear #50
Browning Prep #25

And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer.

Posts: 47 | From: Catskills | Registered: Jan 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2016 ~ Trad Gang.com ©