Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Shooters FORM Forum » Gap Shooting

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Gap Shooting
Jessebeaux
Contributor 2017
Member # 45703

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jessebeaux   Author's Homepage   Email Jessebeaux   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How does treestand height or elevation in general effect gaps? Obviously,the system is based off of arrow trajectory and arrow flight so when in elevated positions wouldn't your gap change due to arrow trajectory/flight changing?

--------------------
2017 Bodnik Slick Stick 58" 45#
2009 Martin Savannah 62" 50#
2015 Samick Sage 62" 40#
1968 Bear Grizzly 56" 50#
2010 PSE Mustang 60" 45#

Posts: 114 | From: Texas | Registered: Dec 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
flyflinger
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 19804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for flyflinger   Email flyflinger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a range finder that give actual and compensated distances. At normal traditional hunting ranges the difference between the two is nominal. If it looks like 20 yards that's what i gap for.
I suppose if the stand was very high and the target were very close this could change things but in that scenario the angle on the vitals would be so bad I wouldn't take the shot anyway.

Posts: 169 | From: southern illinois | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bamboo
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2856

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bamboo   Email bamboo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
practice

--------------------
Mike

Posts: 1337 | From: northern most jersey! | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reddogge
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 17294

Icon 1 posted      Profile for reddogge   Author's Homepage   Email reddogge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bamboo:
practice

Lots of that plus experience.

--------------------
PBS Reg member 1973
Maryland Bowhunters Society
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA

Posts: 4993 | From: Finksburg, MD | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roy from Pa
Contributor 2017
Member # 10602

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roy from Pa   Email Roy from Pa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Only way to know for sure is to practice shooting from a tree stand. Just remember to bend at the waist when in a tree stand.
Posts: 11251 | From: PA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
longbow fanatic 1
2017 Contributor
Member # 18603

Icon 1 posted      Profile for longbow fanatic 1   Email longbow fanatic 1   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You will need to cut yardage depending on the distance and height of the stand. Check out Jimmy Blackmon's video. BTW: he is a gap shooter for hunting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huk5lsIu1_U

Posts: 2608 | From: Illinois | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KeganM
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 40689

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KeganM   Author's Homepage   Email KeganM   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Typically you just aim a little lower, with higher stands/more severe angles being adjusted for accordingly.

Same principals apply though: the higher your anchor, the more forgiving the gap estimation. With a reasonably quick arrow it becomes very easy to just point and shoot.

Posts: 221 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hart2hart
Contributor 2014
Member # 35479

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hart2hart   Email hart2hart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can't remember where I read it recently..
If the animal is 10 yards(let's say)..it's a 10 yard shot no matter how high you are.
Sounded pretty logical.Always felt more comfortable on shooting down but doremember waist bend and limb clearance(and leg clearance.

Posts: 290 | From: Sweetwater,Tx | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
forestdweller
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45281

Icon 1 posted      Profile for forestdweller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd learn the gap subconsciously that way you do not have to adjust at all.

I shoot split vision and have shot from above my target by a decent amount (about 6 feet nothing crazy) and did not have to adjust my shot at all.

Posts: 349 | From: NJ | Registered: Sep 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©