Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Shooters FORM Forum » Shoot better in the field than on target? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Shoot better in the field than on target?
Longtoke
Contributor 2017
Member # 43977

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Longtoke   Email Longtoke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't shoot very goot at the big olympic style bull. I shoot way better tossing arrows at a stray leaf, or can, or pinecone. I do most my practice from stump style shooting. Plus its way more fun than standing in front of a stack of hay bales.

--------------------
Bear Grizzly 58"
Prairie Predator 60"

Posts: 742 | From: Colorado | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KeganM
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 40689

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KeganM   Author's Homepage   Email KeganM   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Might be an issue with shot sequence. The stronger your mental game/shot sequence, the better you can shoot in new situations under different levels of stress. Joel Turner's section from MBB vol. 4 really helped me. Helped on paper, foam, and most importantly- in the woods.
Posts: 121 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terry Green
ADMIN
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Terry Green   Author's Homepage   Email Terry Green       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Straitshot:
In my humble opinion if you shoot true instinctive it is all the same no matter what you are shooting at. I hope you understand I'm in no way saying I am an expert or that I know it all, but I have been shooting instinctive since 1968 and it doesn't make any difference what I am shooting at. Concentrating on the spot and consistent form is what counts. If I can do that with each and every shot the arrow goes where I look no matter the target. Problem is I can't do it with each and every shot especially the older I get.

And I do think you can over think things and/or try too hard.

Great answer...but I would like to add my 2 cents onto what he said...

I TRULY DO believe that flat-non 3D AKA 'boring' targets CAN have a psycho blase effect on concentration or down right even caring at times. For some of us that flat backed target is so 'non hunting' we just don't perform as well at times on that target media.

Some of use have to work on it to stay focus and keep it a challenge.

I know of one hunter, as will 99% of you would know him if I mentioned his name, who shoots TOTALLY instinctive and he will outright admit he SUCKS on targets. This guy sure is hell in the field though!!!

--------------------
Woolshire Carpet Mills, Inc.

"It's important, when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Posts: 29599 | From: GAWGIA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
longbowman
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 4859

Icon 1 posted      Profile for longbowman   Email longbowman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a friend who couldn't put 3 arrows in a 3 foot circle at 20 yds. with his longbow...ever but made a perfect kill on every critter he shot at. I guess it just works that way with some people.
Posts: 1292 | From: Meadville, PA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JR Chambers
Member # 43419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JR Chambers   Email JR Chambers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, I guess I will be the oddball. I don't go for it. I think you are about the same on paper and 3D as you are on real animals.
Posts: 11 | From: WV | Registered: Apr 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChuckC
Contributor 2013
Member # 1813

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChuckC   Email ChuckC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am not that good, nor am I that driven to be. I shoot all the time and my goal with each and every shot is a dead deer. I want an arrow within a kill zone sized area of the target, what ever it is at the moment. Lots of folks strive for perfection. For me it's a "dead deer".
Posts: 6956 | From: Deforest, Wisconsin | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terry Green
ADMIN
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Terry Green   Author's Homepage   Email Terry Green       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JR Chambers:
Ok, I guess I will be the oddball. I don't go for it. I think you are about the same on paper and 3D as you are on real animals.

NO...you are not the 'oddball'. For YOU that may be the case...but certainly not for all as we are all different. Some fly rockets to the moon and others figure the trajectory....best not to switch them at countdown.

--------------------
Woolshire Carpet Mills, Inc.

"It's important, when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Posts: 29599 | From: GAWGIA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
monterey
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 15276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for monterey   Email monterey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JR Chambers:

I think opinion on this is going to come directly
From the opiners own shooting style. I get the impression that most target shooters use a specific aiming system, such as gapping. I tried gapping in '71 and '72. At the time I worked on a masonry crew and had 20 minutes after lunch each day to practice on the sandpile used to mix mortar. Gap shot at a paper cup every day and became as accurate on targets as I'd ever been. At that time we were hunting Virginia whitetails exclusively from tree stands. With all the time that allowed, my only shot on a deer went exactly where it was aimed.

But, back in Colorado in '73 and still hunting and stalking mule deer it didn't work as well for me.

But, if. I had continued to be a gap shooter I'd probably be in agreement with you. Field shooting for me on Stumps or game tends to make each shot a highly focused intense process but it's also a very speedy process.

It's not that I shoot so good in the field. It's more that I shoot very poorly on paper. [Smile]

Shooting aerials can get a person thinking about shot process!

--------------------
Monterey

Posts: 2488 | From: Colorado | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zwickey-Fever
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 44896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zwickey-Fever   Email Zwickey-Fever   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For me, when shooting paper targets, I develop target panic and can never just pick a spot. But when shooting at game, I can pick a spot, control my breathing, focus and release my arrow. Unless something like a 190 inch class buck comes down the path. Then, my heart rate is so jacked that I can hear my heart beating so hard that I think the deer can hear it. So there is a huge difference between paper and game. I am a firm believer that there is a huge difference between shooting paper, shooting 3D and shooting game. Lets be honest here, how many people here practice shooting in real hunting situations? Shooting from elevated positions? I can not speak for anybody else here, but when I shoot from a elevated position, my form is changed from when I shoot on flat ground. Shooting/practicing in a wooded area? Shoot/practice at game/3D in different angles? And for you who shoot from the blinds, do you practice sitting down, or shoot/practice from a actual blind? Or do you just stick your target or 3D target out in the back yard next to the fence? There is a lot to take into consideration here. Just my opinion.

--------------------
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;
Genesis 27:3

Posts: 128 | From: Southern Iowa | Registered: May 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hawkeye n pa
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2645

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hawkeye n pa   Email hawkeye n pa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree that stumping seems to be way easier. I also shoot on a stickbow night at the local club during winter and I'm usually somewhat consistent from year to year.

But the last few years I've shot the outside course up to 60 yards. To hit those 30 yard plus targets consistently form has to be very consistent. And that has really upped my stumping and 3D shooting. I consider myself some what "instinctive" until point of aim shows up at 50 yards.

--------------------
Jeff
>>>>---------->
Fear of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom.

Posts: 410 | From: apollo,pa | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
monterey
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 15276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for monterey   Email monterey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Roy from Pa:

I shoot better at 3D targets and stumping than paper bulls eyes. Something about a bulls eye that messes me up.

Hah, Roy it's probably because the paper is set in close proximity to the Coors light. [biglaugh]

--------------------
Monterey

Posts: 2488 | From: Colorado | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dbd870
Contributor 2016
Member # 39974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dbd870   Email dbd870   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sam McMichael:
I think that, once we get past the adrenaline rush, concentration is more intense in the woods.

I agree

--------------------
A Grizzly and a SuperMag

Posts: 906 | From: IN | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JohnV
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2493

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnV   Email JohnV   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have often heard the "shoots poorly in competition/field round but is deadly on game" comment. I don't buy it. It is my observation that guys/gals that fit that description wound a lot of game due to their poor shooting. They may kill more simply because they are better hunters and get more close encounters and shooting opportunities, not because they somehow become better archers when confronted with a live target.

--------------------
Proud Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Posts: 416 | From: Iowa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KeganM
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 40689

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KeganM   Author's Homepage   Email KeganM   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never got good in the woods until I put time in on targets. Hated it at first but it paid off with a full freezer ever since. Still love to stump shoot, still practice out of position and out of a tree, but I try to shoot paper a few times a month just to keep an eye on things. When I don't it shows.

All targets (rings, foam, or fur) are the same, but sometimes it gets into your head and throws you off. We put so much emphasis on form but not nearly enough on building a strong shot sequence and sticking to it on every shot. Usually when my shooting gets sloppy it's a mental thing. It's the reason folks get TP, or can't shoot in front of people, or suck on targets, or can't gap/aim, or blow chip shots in the woods. Focus is on the wrong stuff during the shot. The best shooters can keep their mind in their shot under pressure, regardless of how they aim, how they shoot, or how they practice. A strong mental is invaluable.

Posts: 121 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Straitshot
2017 Contributor
Member # 1836

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Straitshot   Email Straitshot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Originally posted by Terry Green:
"I know of one hunter, as will 99% of you would know him if I mentioned his name, who shoots TOTALLY instinctive and he will outright admit he SUCKS on targets. This guy sure is hell in the field though!!!"

I think this individual might very well be Fred Bear. Could be wrong but he personally stated he wasn't very good in his opinion at shooting tournaments, but I bet he was better than he wanted to say. Then again perhaps he spent a lot more of his time hunting, preparing for hunts, and making bows than he did shooting in tournaments.

I just like archery and shooting arrows with a stick and string so I like all aspects of it whether it is hunting or shooting targets. Whether shooting at animals or targets as an instinctive archer the concept is the same.

Sure the adrenaline rush is greater when shooting at an animal than shooting at targets and that is precisely why someone might be great at target shooting and suck at killing an animal.

Unless you are shooting at rats and squirrels the X ring on a target is quite a bit smaller that the kill zone on most game.

Like I said, I just like shooting arrows and whether it is shooting them at animals, stumps, cans, or targets, I like it all!

--------------------
A man's true measure is not found in what he says, but in what he does.

Posts: 927 | From: San Angelo, Texas | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2016 ~ Trad Gang.com ©