Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Shooters FORM Forum » Shoot better in the field than on target? (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Shoot better in the field than on target?
Three Arrows
2017 Contributor
Member # 14577

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Three Arrows   Email Three Arrows   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really suck on paper targets unless I put something in the center to focus on. It simply does not lend itself to making me focus or concentrate enough for the way I shoot. I see a bullseye as a round ball. It is like looking at the whole animal and missing rather than concentrating on a spot on the animal. My opinion is that people who deliberately hold and aim tend to do better on bullseye type targets.
Posts: 445 | From: West Farmington, Ohio | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pavan
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 21538

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pavan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is harder for me to shoot paper in my backyard than on a course, too many cars driving by, gets me distracted.

--------------------
Pavan

Posts: 5747 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlacktailBowhunter
Contributor 2017
Member # 15933

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlacktailBowhunter   Email BlacktailBowhunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had similar experiences but the difference being great on small game but not good on big game. I talked to Mark Horne about it.

Mark explained to me that on small game you're targeting a small focal point whereas on big game you have to pick a specific spot, which I've struggled with in the past.

This year I did a few things to help me.

1. I put a clicker on my bow. I've got some target panick and it helped a lot with consistency.

2. I started shooting at a blank piece of card board and picking a spot to hit on a blank surface.

3. I set up a 3 d deer target and aim at a different spot every shot.

It seems to have helped but I'm always reading and ready to try new techniques if I think it will help me make better shots on game.

--------------------
Join a credible hunting organization, participate in it, and take a kid hunting. Member: U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance, NWTF, Oregon Hunter's Assn., Oregon Bow Hunters and Oregon Foundation for Blacktailed Deer.

Posts: 911 | From: Oregon | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terry Green
ADMIN
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Terry Green   Author's Homepage   Email Terry Green       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Straitshot:
Originally posted by Terry Green:
"I know of one hunter, as will 99% of you would know him if I mentioned his name, who shoots TOTALLY instinctive and he will outright admit he SUCKS on targets. This guy sure is hell in the field though!!!"

I think this individual might very well be Fred Bear.

BW [Big Grin]

--------------------
"An anchor point is not a destination, it's an evolution to execution" - Me

"It's important, when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Black Powder Gang ......... & **** ********** (coming soon)

Posts: 30438 | From: GAWGIA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keb
Contributor 2014
Member # 37427

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keb   Email Keb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I shot better at one shot move on type shooting.

If you think about shooting targets with multiple faces and dots and colors it's no difference than this:

When a basket ball player drains 3s, he is not shooting at 6 hoops/goals there is one rim.

Baseball pitcher not throwing to 3 catchers and mitts there is one mitt.

Quarter back is not throwing to 5 receivers running down the line and the kicker is not kicking thru 3 goals.

My opinion is you fight how u train.

Posts: 452 | From: mo | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pavan
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 21538

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pavan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The more we complicate our shooting process, the more complicated it gets when shooting at game. I do not mechanically gap when shooting at game, I do take a visual snapshot at about six inches from full draw. When trying to stack arrows in a target with all the time in the world, one is allowed to finagle around with exact point placements etc. There are often more variables in hunting shots than most target based shooters want to admit. Many young CP shooters around here talk of how they have difficulties putting close downward shots together at deer and end up taking a non-aimed guessstinct shot. That rarely works, there needs to be some fundamentals ingrained, no matter if one holds or shoots fluidly.

--------------------
Pavan

Posts: 5747 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KeganM
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 40689

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KeganM   Author's Homepage   Email KeganM   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Target shooting is hard. Takes a lot of consistency and mental toughness to actually score well consistently. If you put the effort in to get good at it, it will make you a better shot. Doesn't mean it should be the only way to practice, but it's not a bad thing.
Posts: 217 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
forestdweller
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45281

Icon 1 posted      Profile for forestdweller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another thing is that personally and I think a lot of us are like this, if we go out and take a shot at 25 to 30 yards we will hit the center or close to the center of the target on our first shot within those 25 to 30 yards without any problem.

Now here's the kicker, none of our shot's are going to be as good as that first shot.

When you take that second shot your body is still recovering from the first one mentally and you are now pressured to shoot just as well as your first shot.

Not to mention we are pressuring ourselves by shooting groups.

If during our first shot we are at 100% and give the shot 100% during the second shot when there's pressure to group well than our second shot might only be a 60% shot since there is mental pressure applied to that shot.

For me personally I shoot the best groups when my mental toughness is the highest and I believe in myself 100%.

If any doubt enters the mind the chances of me missing goes up astronomically.

During the first shot this pressure does not really exist.

This is why I believe one can be a great hunter and not be good at grouping or shooting paper.

I'd have to say that target shooting is at least 90% mental once you have good form and are consistent.

I'd have to say that right now I can hit the center of the target within 30 yards on my first shot without any issue.

However, if I have to shoot a group at those distances it might take me at least an hour to shoot a tight 3 arrow group (softball sized) because I have not made that 30 yard shot my 15 yard chip shot yet.

Posts: 349 | From: NJ | Registered: Sep 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pavan
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 21538

When practicing longer shots, i load 12 to 18 arrows in my back quiver, i use two four foot targets with several spots each. I shoot three or four, take a short breather then another three or four. After a while a rhythm kicks in and I stop making a big deal out of it all, the imaginary secondary just happens, the slight hesitation at anchor becomes automatic and the thing becomes routine. I can shoot hundreds of arrows in a fairly short time doing this. Maybe it is completely wrong, but it works for me.

--------------------
Pavan

Terry Green
ADMIN
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Terry Green   Author's Homepage   Email Terry Green       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
k butler

Calling people liars on this forum will get you booted off pretty quick. Why don't you contact Barry Wensel and call him a liar directly?

--------------------

"It's important, when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Posts: 30438 | From: GAWGIA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rob DiStefano
Admin - Webmaster
Member # 99

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob DiStefano   Author's Homepage   Email Rob DiStefano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
there is a WORLD of diff'rence 'tween the hunting archer and the target archer. their venues, modes of shot process and execution, mindsets, and shot totals are just not the same.

3D shoots are fine gaming social gatherings that have something in common with bowhunting that's close but no cigar. in fact, all archery games are just that - games. hunting is not a game.

roving afield is still the closest one will come to the act of random bowhunting and the best form of bowhunting practice i can think of.

ymmv. [campfire]

--------------------
IAM ~ Black Powder Gang ~ TANJ ~ TGMM ~ NRA Patriot Life ~ NRA RSO

Posts: 10024 | From: NJ | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BWallace10327
Contributor 2017
Member # 15447

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BWallace10327   Author's Homepage   Email BWallace10327   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like to shoot targets, especially NFAA 300. What I have learned that a deer would be safe if I had to put 60 arrows in the heart/lung area. For me, target rounds are a very different endeavor. I have made shots on game that were very good, but replicating them would be unlikely.

Regardless of what anyone says, making one good clutch situation shot is different than making 60 in a row.

--------------------
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Posts: 843 | From: Four Corner Area, Colorado | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenneth butler
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45035

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kenneth butler   Email kenneth butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Terry, I have nothing but the utmost respect for both Barry Wensel and you. I would never call either of you a liar. I have tried to PM you and tried your email. I can't get it to work. Somehow I ended up doubling your post. I tried to review my posts to see where I went over the line. They are gone but I count 5 other folks that disagreed and said they didn't buy it. I am not one to result to name calling but apparently I messed up and crossed a line. I tried to do this personally but failed. I would still appreciate a PM. Thanks Ken
Posts: 161 | From: texas | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terry Green
ADMIN
Member # 3

No worries Ken...lets move on to 2017....

[campfire]

--------------------

kenneth butler
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45035

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kenneth butler   Email kenneth butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happy New Year to all. Ken
Posts: 161 | From: texas | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©