Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Shooters FORM Forum » Shoot better in the field than on target? (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Shoot better in the field than on target?
pavan
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 21538

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pavan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have two new years resolutions. 1. I want to shoot and eat 4 cottontail rabbits before the end of rabbit season. 2. I want to get at least one person suckered into shooting and hunting with a longbow.

--------------------
Pavan

Posts: 5121 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reddogge
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 17294

Icon 1 posted      Profile for reddogge   Author's Homepage   Email reddogge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know what I can add here but I do gap shoot but when I'm shooting at stumps at unknown yardages and game I'm setting that gap "instinctively" ie: I'm not spending a lot of time figuring the yardage but when I throw the bow up I'm setting that tiny relationship between the target and my arrow point as seen at the sight window without much thought and tend to be pretty accurate.

However when I shoot an indoor round I'm using different equipment and have mybow set up so the arrow is point on at 20 yards and then it becomes purely a shooting exercise of the perfect draw, the perfect anchor, the perfect release, the perfect follow through FIVE TIMES IN A ROW. This is totally different than my field shooting and takes unbelievable concentration for me. I'm not as successful as I feel I should be at this.

Maybe others can relate.

--------------------
PBS Reg member 1973
Maryland Bowhunters Society
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA

Posts: 4862 | From: Finksburg, MD | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
YosemiteSam
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for YosemiteSam   Email YosemiteSam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe I read that Saxton Pope put Ishi in front of European targets & he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with his setup. But somehow, he managed to get his fair share of game. I always fear that I'm the opposite so I shoot often & just hope for the best.

--------------------
Stoppin' in the Sierras playing the most sacred of games.

Posts: 165 | From: CA | Registered: Sep 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
crazynate
2017 Contributor
Member # 41944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for crazynate   Email crazynate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's me as well. I can hit a golf ball @ 20yards in the yard but when I shoot on a paper bullseye my groups are like 4-5" @ 20 yards. Really weird but it doesn't bother me to bad. 3D targets I'm dead on. Jut the paper haunts me lol. Lately I have been practicing no fire drills @20yards aiming at a paper target. Has seemed to help out a ton already.

--------------------
"If a man does his best, what else is there? "- General George S Patton Jr.

Posts: 232 | From: MI | Registered: Jul 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KeganM
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 40689

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KeganM   Author's Homepage   Email KeganM   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by YosemiteSam:
I believe I read that Saxton Pope put Ishi in front of European targets & he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with his setup. But somehow, he managed to get his fair share of game. I always fear that I'm the opposite so I shoot often & just hope for the best.

Pope also wrote that target work with a lighter bow helped their shooting on game.

Tough to know what's the right answer, so I shoot as much as possible. [biglaugh]

Posts: 117 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Draven
Member # 44723

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Draven   Email Draven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Indoor I shoot with compound archers and the targets are for compound. I have hard time with multiple dots target so I ended up adding my own "dot" on the target to get good results with recurve and instinctive shooting. But I don't see much difference between paper vs 3d IF I am doing what I am suppose to do.
Posts: 49 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2016 ~ Trad Gang.com ©