Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Shooters FORM Forum » 40# Samick Sage

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 40# Samick Sage
Jessebeaux
Contributor 2017
Member # 45703

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jessebeaux   Author's Homepage   Email Jessebeaux   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of my setups is a #40 lbs Sage shooting a 27.5" draw length arrows cut to 29" w Easton Axis Trads standard insert (16 grains) and 125 tip and it tunes perfect! 5,10,15,20 yards it looks on paper as if you pushed a pencil through the paper! I was very happy with my first tune.... However, I was at the bow shop yesterday and a "Pro Staff" worker said the arrows are way to weak and my tune has to be way off...... As newbie trad archer this bothered me... Thoughts?!

--------------------
2017 Bodnik Slick Stick 58" 45#
2009 Martin Savannah 62" 50#
2015 Samick Sage 62" 40#
1968 Bear Grizzly 56" 50#
2010 PSE Mustang 60" 45#

Posts: 111 | From: Texas | Registered: Dec 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
McDave
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 10587

Icon 1 posted      Profile for McDave   Author's Homepage   Email McDave   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure what the spine of your Easton Axis Trads is, but I shoot almost exactly the same setup you do: 40# recurve, 29" arrow drawn to approx 27 3/4". I shoot a Gold Tip 600 with 100 grain point and it bare shafts perfectly. Trust your own tuning; everything else is just an approximation.

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

I'm a man, and I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Posts: 4166 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessebeaux
Contributor 2017
Member # 45703

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jessebeaux   Author's Homepage   Email Jessebeaux   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by McDave:
I'm not sure what the spine of your Easton Axis Trads is, but I shoot almost exactly the same setup you do: 40# recurve, 29" arrow drawn to approx 27 3/4". I shoot a Gold Tip 600 with 100 grain point and it bare shafts perfectly. Trust your own tuning; everything else is just an approximation.

Woops! Can't believe I forgot to add that ha! It's a Easton axis trad 600

--------------------
2015 Samick Sage 62" 40#
2010 PSE Mustang 60" 45#

Posts: 111 | From: Texas | Registered: Dec 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
crazynate
Banned
Member # 41944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for crazynate   Email crazynate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man you should be golden with those arrows. I hate when I'm at pro shops and guy try to correct things I'm doing and they don't even shoot traditional. I'm hesitant to take advice from someone that can't shoot. If they tune good I'd say your fine.
Posts: 853 | From: MI | Registered: Jul 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the rifleman
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 31319

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the rifleman   Email the rifleman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd bet you know about a million times more about trad bows and tuning than the "expert" at the pro shop. Compared to the shoot through risers w training wheels our set ups generally require much weaker spined arrows. Always trust your tuning over opinions of others. Sounds like you did a good job getting your set up fine tuned.
Posts: 480 | From: Ohio | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessebeaux
Contributor 2017
Member # 45703

Thanks for replies! The arrows fly true and thats all that matters!

--------------------
2015 Samick Sage 62" 40#
2010 PSE Mustang 60" 45#

Sam McMichael
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 17671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam McMichael   Email Sam McMichael   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you are getting perfect arrow flight out to 20 yards, I would suggest you totally ignore the advice from the "pro", who may well not know what he is talking about.

--------------------
Sam

Posts: 4691 | From: Gray, Georgia | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenneth butler
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45035

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kenneth butler   Email kenneth butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Either he is misinformed or he just wanted to sell you some more arrows.>>>-----> Ken
Posts: 164 | From: texas | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matty
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 10632

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matty   Email Matty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Guys at archery shops that don't deal in traditional archery but maybe have a Hoyt buffalo on the wall and a samick sage or 2 are not on the same page as trad specific shops. I reflect back to when my friend took his wife to a local shop cause she wanted to try archery. They came home with a 40# sage and GT 400s with 100gr tips CUT to her 23" draw! [banghead]
Posts: 4127 | From: Fort Collins,Colorado | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
YosemiteSam
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for YosemiteSam   Email YosemiteSam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On spine calculators, there is usually a "personal form factor" that you can put in. This can dramatically affect the dynamic spine. How YOU shoot the arrow is what is important. Spine charts are a starting point. Experience is the real test.

--------------------
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Posts: 553 | From: CA | Registered: Sep 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©