Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Shooters FORM Forum » how do you set your elbow

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: how do you set your elbow
nhbuck1
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 43718

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nhbuck1   Email nhbuck1   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How do you guys set your bow elbow so its in the proper position? i have seen arne moes videos, if you roll the elbow in the correct position before you raise the bow it seems like its another thing to think about, also hunting if you had to make a quick shot you would basically have to pause and say wait i have to roll my elbow out first then i can shoot. i was just wondering your guys thought sand what works for you

--------------------
aim small miss small

Posts: 888 | From: NH | Registered: Jul 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bowsage
Member # 45173

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bowsage   Email Bowsage   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I turn my elbow clockwise ( I'm righty) When using the swing draw : I start by middle string finger tension on string which sets the grip properly in the web of my hand and at the same time rotate my elbow drawing simultaneously. I shoot split. Closed stance: I set as I raise the bow.
Posts: 4 | From: Virginia | Registered: Aug 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nhbuck1
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 43718

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nhbuck1   Email nhbuck1   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
anyone else?

--------------------
aim small miss small

Posts: 888 | From: NH | Registered: Jul 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam McMichael
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 17671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam McMichael   Email Sam McMichael   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't consciously set my elbow at all. I have been using a set draw for a very long time, so the bend in the elbow is pretty much a consistently settled muscle memory event.

--------------------
Sam

Posts: 4481 | From: Gray, Georgia | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nhbuck1
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 43718

can you explain the step for this sam?

--------------------
aim small miss small

forestdweller
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45281

Icon 1 posted      Profile for forestdweller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think about my elbow position and don't know what "rolling the elbow is".

My question is, why would you even want to roll the elbow? It seems like an unnecessary movement if it's what I think it is which is having your knuckles off the riser at an angle.

My arm is slightly bent and ready to go before I even begin my draw and it never changes throughout the shot and it seems to work ok for me.

Posts: 349 | From: NJ | Registered: Sep 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nhbuck1
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 43718

what do u mean knuckles of riser at an angle?

--------------------
aim small miss small

KeganM
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 40689

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KeganM   Author's Homepage   Email KeganM   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by forestdweller:
what I think it is which is having your knuckles off the riser at an angle.

That's how I set me elbow, I use a 45* grip angle. It's how the Oly shooters set up their recurve grips.

If my grip is angled on the bow and the bow is reasonably close to vertical alignment with my upper body then my elbow is set by default.

Posts: 182 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam McMichael
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 17671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam McMichael   Email Sam McMichael   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nhbuck1, early on, when shooting the longbow, I used to overextend my bow arm (thus over flexing my elbow), resulting in the string hitting my arm. Primarily by trial and error, I determined a comfortable amount of bend that felt right and avoided the string slap. Initially, I had to really pay a lot of attention to my bow arm, but over time the correct amount of arm extension began to feel normal. Now I just hold the bow and make the shot, usually without issue. Granted, anybody can foul up, and I do sometimes hit my arm, but usually that is when I shoot from an odd position. I now have a noticeably shorter draw length than I had back in the days when I shot recurves.

--------------------
Sam

Posts: 4481 | From: Gray, Georgia | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nhbuck1
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 43718

now does keeping a low bow shoulder put it in the correct position? i have the tendancy to over extend my arm as well

--------------------
aim small miss small

nhbuck1
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 43718

is the key keeping the bow arm relaxed?

--------------------
aim small miss small

Sam McMichael
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 17671

I don't know exactly what you mean by a low shoulder. I try to keep a straight and level line from my extended bow arm's hand across my chest and out to the bent elbow of my string arm. I don't think it is possible to totally relax the bow arm, because in order to hold the bow, you must exert a pushing action with it. Just don't overly stress the push - firm and steady but not a gorilla choke hold. It really does become ingrained over time, so don't fret over it. Just let it happen.

--------------------
Sam

Bowsage
Member # 45173

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bowsage   Email Bowsage   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Forestdweller: " rolling the elbow" just to clarify , rotate the elbow , not the wrist, in other words , I don't rotate my wrist.
Posts: 4 | From: Virginia | Registered: Aug 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nhbuck1
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 43718

my wrist moves when i rotate the elbow, any help?

--------------------
aim small miss small

Bowsage
Member # 45173

You should be able to hold onto a locked door knob firmly with your hand and rotate your elbow .

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2016 ~ Trad Gang.com ©