Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Shooters FORM Forum » My struggle with BACK TENSION! (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: My struggle with BACK TENSION!
mgf
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 40760

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mgf   Email mgf   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greyarcher...really?
Posts: 347 | From: Indiana | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
longbow fanatic 1
2017 Contributor
Member # 18603

Icon 1 posted      Profile for longbow fanatic 1   Email longbow fanatic 1   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If some archers don't believe in BT, or believe it's a myth, then there is little anyone can say to change their minds. The best archers in national and international competition use it to reach the podiums. The best archery coaches teach archers to develop BT into their shot. If you're an archer who has no use for incorporating BT into your shot, then so be it. As for me, I'm continually working on improving my archery accuracy and that includes the use of BT.
Posts: 2608 | From: Illinois | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LBR
SPONSOR
Member # 236

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LBR   Author's Homepage   Email LBR   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Most guys that say they do it can't even explain it clearly
Explain how to tie a shoelace. Very simple to do, not so easy to put into words.

quote:
The best archers in national and international competition use it to reach the podiums. The best archery coaches teach archers to develop BT into their shot.
Exactly, and that speaks for itself. I'll also note that a great many of these shooters are also proficient and successful hunters.

--------------------
Champion Custom Bowstrings
Trad Gang Sponsor since March 2003--Voted In By Members
Proud Supporter of the Catch-a-Dream Foundation
www.catchadream.org

Bowstring Questions? recurves.com/faqs.html

Posts: 6066 | From: MS | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
longbow fanatic 1
2017 Contributor
Member # 18603

Icon 1 posted      Profile for longbow fanatic 1   Email longbow fanatic 1   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For those who care to have BT described, I will offer this. BT is better felt than explained. So, try this. Either lay on the floor, back against the floor or stand with your back against the wall. With your string hand side come to anchor with your upper arm and elbow against the wall/floor. Now, with your elbow against the surface try to lift your body from the floor/wall simply by pushing your elbow into the surface. That is what BT feels like during the shot.
Posts: 2608 | From: Illinois | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mgf
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 40760

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mgf   Email mgf   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or...place your string hand on your chest. Without moving your hand, rotate your elbow back. What you feel on the inside of that scapula is "back tension".
Posts: 347 | From: Indiana | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim Casto Jr
Contributor 2014
Member # 3606

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jim Casto Jr   Email Jim Casto Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know where some people get the notions they have. If you don't use back tension (the rhomboid muscles) you can't draw a bow to start with. Using the rhomboids correctly will only add consistency.

--------------------
"Archery is really very simple. You just have to do the exact same thing on every shot."
Bill Leslie, July 22, 2017

"Form is everything." Al Cole

Posts: 1195 | From: WV | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
buckeyebowhunter
Cadet Member
Member # 12819

Icon 1 posted      Profile for buckeyebowhunter   Email buckeyebowhunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Casto Jr:
I don't know where some people get the notions they have. If you don't use back tension (the rhomboid muscles) you can't draw a bow to start with. Using the rhomboids correctly will only add consistency.

Precisely. Archery is no different than any other physical sport. It requires the use of certain muscles some more than others to achieve correct form regardless of style or aiming technique. Take for instance the pitcher in baseball. Sure there are about 100 different throwing styles and arm slots but the one constant that all major league pitchers share is the use of great hip action to generate a whipping action out of the arm.
Dweller, you are correct when you say that weight lifting requires the use of multiple muscles however most lifts are intended to target one particular muscle or area of the body. For example the bench press is targeting the pec or chest muscle even tho the arms shoulders and triceps are engaged. The smaller muscles are simply not engaged as much as the targeted muscle.
Saying that back tension in the sport of archery is a myth is entirely false.

Posts: 788 | From: Southeastern,Ohio | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben Maher
Contributor 2017
Member # 5543

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ben Maher   Email Ben Maher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks !
Glad we cleared that up otherwise these things end up a whole bunch of Lovestoshoot88 and Stringstack !

--------------------
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Posts: 2667 | From: australia | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
longbow fanatic 1
2017 Contributor
Member # 18603

quote:

I "snap shoot" or fluid shoot, in which I keep pulling through release and through the anchor with no pausing.

I know for a fact that I can feel my shoulder blades and lats pull tight throughout the draw especially as I'm reaching anchor but is that back tension? Don't know don't care. All that I care about is hitting the spot.

I promise you that if I started to worry about many of the concepts associated with archery that my shooting would go down hill.

I definitely think that form is important though and that blank bale shooting is invaluable but I think in the case of archery, for many (me included), ignorance is best when it comes to these concepts and maybe some people would benefit from learning to "feel" how good their shot is when blank bailing and let the target be their coach.
[/QB]

Forest, based on what you're describing, you're using back tension. Whether you know it or not, I think you're employing what we are talking about.
DanielB89
SPONSOR
Member # 37294

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DanielB89   Email DanielB89   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FWIW, I shoot a decent amount of competitions throughout the south and have seen some VERY good shooters.

I have seen a lot more good shooters who use a static release than ones who use back tension.

Static Release shooters I know who are GOOD:
Rusty Horne
Corey Bailey
Dewayne Martin
Jim Powell

Back Tension:
Jimmy Blackmon
John Demmer

I do believe that both of them exist, but I also believe there is some overlap. I don't think you can hold your bow back without using your back tension to an extent.

--------------------
Pride goes before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall.It is better to be of a lowly spirit with the poor than to divide the spoil with the proud. ~ Proverbs 16:18-19

hcbstrings.com

Black Eagle Arrow Dealer

Posts: 2921 | From: Monroe, Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
McDave
Contributor 2017
Member # 10587

Icon 1 posted      Profile for McDave   Author's Homepage   Email McDave   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While all the elements of good form can get complicated, let's not lose track of the fact that if all forces are straight forward and straight back, the arrow will always go in the direction of the forces. If you line up your eye with the forces, the arrow will go where you're looking. Push directly toward the target, pull directly away from the target, put your eye over the arrow, eliminate forces in any other direction, and you will always be on line with the target. When you miss, what kind of force did you introduce that was out of line with the target? Did you move your eye away from over the arrow? Did you give a slight off-line jerk as you released the arrow? Did you torque the string or the bow? Learn to be aware of these forces and you won't have to read anything I or anyone else has to say on back tension or anything else.

I think we sometimes use an intellectual understanding of something as a substitute for the real thing, and I am as guilty of this as anyone else. I enjoy using my mind, but I will have to admit that I would probably be a better shot if I thought about things less and learned to be more aware of what my body is trying to tell me on a physical level.

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

I'm a man, and I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Posts: 4162 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terry Green
ADMIN
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Terry Green   Author's Homepage   Email Terry Green       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are opinions and then there are facts....

You cannot draw a bow without back tension. Fact

There is proper back tension and improper back tension. Fact

Stance has nothing to do with back tension...form is from the waist up. Fact.

--------------------
"An anchor point is not a destination, it's an evolution to execution" - Me

"It's important, when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Black Powder Gang ......... & www.loopaddictions.com

Posts: 30582 | From: GAWGIA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terry Green
ADMIN
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Terry Green   Author's Homepage   Email Terry Green       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't blame lack of back tension on bad form....

Static release has nothing to do with back tension either.... where does all this stuff come from?

--------------------

"It's important, when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Posts: 30582 | From: GAWGIA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terry Green
ADMIN
Member # 3

[campfire]

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©