Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Shooters FORM Forum » Joel Tuners online course for Target Panic who's taken it? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Joel Tuners online course for Target Panic who's taken it?
South MS Bowhunter
Contributor 2010
Member # 16239

Icon 1 posted      Profile for South MS Bowhunter   Email South MS Bowhunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tim,

I try to use the feather to nose, but it is not working for me. Can you explain your system?

--------------------
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Posts: 3830 | From: Mississippi | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
South MS Bowhunter
Contributor 2010
Member # 16239

Icon 1 posted      Profile for South MS Bowhunter   Email South MS Bowhunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And as for a aiming system, after years of "instinctive" shooting I now use split vision referencing my point in peripheral.

--------------------

Posts: 3830 | From: Mississippi | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
McDave
Contributor 2017
Member # 10587

Icon 1 posted      Profile for McDave   Author's Homepage   Email McDave   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the course, Joel mentions that the riser sear with the teflon washer is probably the most accurate sear, and is evidently the one he is using at present. Joel likes to experiment, so don't count on that being the one is is using next week.

He mentions that the riser sear works if you can set your back tension and forget about it, because actuation of the riser sear, unlike the feather to nose trigger, is not related to back tension. I don't think I could use the riser sear for that reason, because my biggest problem is maintaining my back tension through completion of the shot in order to avoid creeping. With any of Joel's triggers, 100% of your attention must be focused on the movement to activate the trigger, in order to remain in a closed loop system and avoid the recoil bracing that occurs in an open loop system. At this point, if I took my attention off my back tension during the short period of time it takes to activate the trigger, I would probably creep.

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

I'm a man, and I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Posts: 4157 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Johnson
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1044

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Johnson   Email Ray Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been using Joel's system for a while now and am shooting better than I ever have in my life. I use feather to nose. My mind is on "pulling" and that is all. I had trouble controlling my mind at 3D tournaments but after talking to Joel on the phone, I shot a 184 out of 20 targets at the very next 3D shoot. You have to control your thoughts. Watch "The blueprint for the controlled shot" on you tube. That helped me tremendously.
Posts: 287 | From: Texarkana,Tx. | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Night Stalker
Contributor 2017
Member # 4966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Night Stalker   Email The Night Stalker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use a riser shear.. I drilled the front of my risers and installed a brass bushing. I use two small brass washers, a teflon washer and a machined screw.
I pull back and aim, watch it to keep it, instead of saying here I go. I say back which reminds me of my back tension. I then focus all my attention on my pressure in my finger. My mantra is keep pushing. When my finger slips off the teflon,I shoot.
With me, it is the movement of my finger slipping off the teflon and not the sound that the teflon makes that is the trigger.

--------------------
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Posts: 1274 | From: Ashe County, NC | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
South MS Bowhunter
Contributor 2010
Member # 16239

Tim, I'm having a hard time seeing in my mind what your set up looks like.

Can you take a picture?

--------------------

The Night Stalker
Contributor 2017
Member # 4966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Night Stalker   Email The Night Stalker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I sent you a pic

--------------------
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Posts: 1274 | From: Ashe County, NC | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hermon
Contributor 2017
Member # 26115

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hermon   Email Hermon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could you please explain grip sear, tab sear and riser sear?

Thanks

Posts: 2667 | From: Spring Hill, Kansas | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
McDave
Contributor 2017
Member # 10587

Icon 1 posted      Profile for McDave   Author's Homepage   Email McDave   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A sear is a part in a gun that is activated by the pressure of your finger on the trigger. When the pressure of your finger on the trigger overcomes the friction resistance of the sear, the sear releases the hammer of the gun and it fires. The sear is designed as a friction release so that the shot is a surprise if the shooter is squeezing the trigger correctly, avoiding involuntary responses of the shooter in advance of the shot.

A grip, tab, or riser sear is intended to accomplish the same purpose in archery, although it doesn't actually do anything, like a gun sear does. It can be any raised surface where a thumbnail or fingernail can be pressed, and if it's pressed hard enough, will slip off. The shooter instructs his mind to fire when the nail slips off the sear. The signal to fire is intended to go directly from the thumbnail to the string fingers before the rest of the body has a chance to react, which is called a non-anticipatory psychotrigger.

An example is the post above. A nylon washer has been fastened to the riser in a place conveniently reachable by a fingernail. After the shot has been set up, the shooter presses his fingernail on the washer until it slips off, at which time he releases the shot.

This is part of a target panic avoidance system, more than just a way of avoiding involuntary physical reactions before the shot. It is beyond the scope of my response to your question to explain Joel's whole system, but it involves enhanced concentration within a closed loop system, and would be well worth your efforts to look into, whether you decide to adopt it or not.

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

I'm a man, and I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Posts: 4157 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fattony77
2017 Contributor
Member # 37643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fattony77   Email Fattony77   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm having a hard time picturing these sears too. I saw the riser sear in one of Joel's videos on YouTube, but I'm really interested in seeing the tab sear. If anybody could PLEASE post a pic or refer to one, I'd really appreciate it!
Posts: 1279 | From: Muskogee, OK | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dry Creek
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 9484

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dry Creek   Email Dry Creek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tony if you look down a few threads there is one called Target Panic Reality Check that Joel started. Look on page 4 and he has a few pics of his tab sear.

--------------------
58" Bear Super Grizzly 45@28
60" TallTines 44@28

Posts: 545 | From: Central Mississippi | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©