Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Shooters FORM Forum » Cross Eye Dominance (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Cross Eye Dominance
dirtguy
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 17624

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dirtguy   Email dirtguy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nutmeg?

Did you used to work at an archery shop in Manchester CT?

I haven't seen you on here in a while.. I hope you are well!

Posts: 810 | From: Connecticut | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dirtguy
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 17624

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dirtguy   Email dirtguy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks to all of you.

Arne - I have followed the current thinking of letting them start with their dominant hand. Ill see how that goes. This is a motivated student who I'm happy to say will probably end up wanting to shoot both left and right handed,

Bob

Posts: 810 | From: Connecticut | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hawkdancer
Member # 46314

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hawkdancer   Email Hawkdancer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Having shot bows left handed for. Better than 65 years, I just learned this year that you should go with the dominant eye, I do have 2 bows that are ambi dextrious, but never shot right handed. I do shoot rifles right handed, and can shotgun either way, pistols I shoot left, but quite often use my right eye to sight. Teaching an old dog new tricks takes a lot of time and treats(I.e. beer😀👹). I will have to try it as soon as I am healed enough to shoot. It is good to learn both ways if possible, even for old guys
Hawkdancer

Posts: 2 | From: Loveland, Colorado | Registered: Jun 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jack Whitmire Jr
2017 Contributor
Member # 13714

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jack Whitmire Jr   Email Jack Whitmire Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Save the person problems down the road , shoot from the dominant eye to begin with .

I shoot RH for years until short drawing became a problem . I feel my dominant eye was lined up when I was at about 25 inches of draw . After changing to LH everything lined up.

Had thousands of dollars in RH recurves and had to sell/trade them all .

But what do I know I'm just a bowhunter [Smile]

--------------------
Tolerance is a virtue of a man without any Morals- unknown author

Posts: 1134 | From: Scott Depot, WV | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sota
Member # 43088

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sota   Email Sota   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not necessarily advocating this but right handed left eye dominant people might benefit from learning the thumb draw.

--------------------
62" Holm-Made Kingfisher
58" Hoyt Dorado

Posts: 34 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Feb 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MW
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 10732

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MW   Email MW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would think some of the answer would be predicated on what style of aim the person is trying to employ. If instinctive it shouldn't matter. If it is truly like throwing a ball there are many pitchers whos dominate eye does not match their throwing arm but they can throw with accuracy. Any other where you are "lining up" two points it may have a greater impact.

Just my two cents...

--------------------
<---TGMM Family of the bow---<<<<

Posts: 592 | From: Florida | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat B
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pat B   Email Pat B   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When shooting instinctively eye dominance doesn't matter. Just look where the arrow will go(the spot), draw and release. Your brain will do the rest if you have practiced enough. In normal hunting range knowing the distance doesn't matter either.

--------------------
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 13112 | From: Brevard, NC. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TSHOOTER
Contributor 2014
Member # 8515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TSHOOTER   Author's Homepage   Email TSHOOTER   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

--------------------
He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son does not have life. (1 John 5:12)

PBS
TGMM Family of the Bow
P&Y
Comptons

Posts: 622 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
YosemiteSam
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for YosemiteSam   Email YosemiteSam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My wife and my oldest son are RH with left eye dominance. They both shoot left handed. Gapping is an easier way to learn to shoot but that only works when you're using the correct sight picture.

Echoing McDave, at some point, archers can benefit from learning how to shoot with both hands. It's fun and a good challenge.

--------------------
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Posts: 552 | From: CA | Registered: Sep 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bowguy67
Member # 45078

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bowguy67   Email Bowguy67   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I instruct myself and what we call cross eye dominant is not the opposite hand.
It's when the eyes switch readings meaning there isn't a true dominant eye taking over.
Dominant eye is always better because that's where you are looking naturally.
If things aren't instinctive they're way worse.
My sampling isn't huge but a few hundred students a year in various formats may be bigger than yours. Hope this helps and Pm me if you like and I can say more.
Not sure what's allowed on here I don't post much and don't want to break rules

Posts: 32 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©