Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Shooters FORM Forum » string torque

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: string torque
nhbuck1
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 43718

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nhbuck1   Email nhbuck1   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How do you know your not torquing the string? if you are how can you correct it?

--------------------
aim small miss small

Posts: 1111 | From: NH | Registered: Jul 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katman
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 9420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for katman   Email katman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have someone watch you draw, take a pic or do a video and check hand alignment.

--------------------
shoot straight shoot often

Posts: 3639 | From: south carolina | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
McDave
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 10587

Icon 1 posted      Profile for McDave   Author's Homepage   Email McDave   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Open your bow hand at full draw and see if the bow wants to rotate. If you have no twisting force in your hands, the bow should stay in place. To test this, with your bow hand open, you should be able to twist your string hand back and forth and cause the bow to rotate.

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

I'm a man, and I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Posts: 4204 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nhbuck1
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 43718

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nhbuck1   Email nhbuck1   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thank you guys!!!

--------------------
aim small miss small

Posts: 1111 | From: NH | Registered: Jul 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nhbuck1
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 43718

Now when canting how do I know my hand is at correct angle of string?

--------------------
aim small miss small

nhbuck1
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 43718

Also Dave if I open hand at draw should I close hand once correct string angle is found ?

--------------------
aim small miss small

McDave
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 10587

Icon 1 posted      Profile for McDave   Author's Homepage   Email McDave   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nhbuck1:
Now when canting how do I know my hand is at correct angle of string?

By doing the test I mentioned in my previous post. When your string and bow hands are in neutral positions, the bow won't have a tendency to rotate when you open your bow hand.

Once you determine that you're not torquing the string or the bow, then you lightly close your bow hand before you shoot the bow. An alternative would be to use a bow sling, like Rod Jenkins does, and keep your bow hand open when you shoot. This is somewhat awkward for hunting, however.

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 4204 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nhbuck1
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 43718

I thought bow hand open when you shoot is bad?

--------------------
aim small miss small

McDave
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 10587

quote:
Originally posted by nhbuck1:
I thought bow hand open when you shoot is bad?

Actually, it's good, and all the top target archers shoot with an open bow hand. But they use bow slings so they don't have to grab the bow when they shoot it. Grabbing the bow when you shoot it is what's bad.

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

nhbuck1
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 43718

can you draw with oen hand then lightly close it?

--------------------
aim small miss small

mahantango
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 11820

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mahantango   Email mahantango   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I do that often.

--------------------
We are all here because we are not all there.

Posts: 1141 | From: central Pa. | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nhbuck1
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 43718

i keep getting that high elbow shooting canted its a habit i have to break what do you guys suggest doing blank bale?

--------------------
aim small miss small

Rick Richard
Contributor 2016
Member # 34555

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Richard   Email Rick Richard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Blind/blank bale is the most effective method I think in working out problems.
Posts: 1320 | From: Conover, NC | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nhbuck1
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 43718

any tips how to keep it more in line with arrow?

--------------------
aim small miss small

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©