Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Shooters FORM Forum » canting the bow (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: canting the bow
Boognish
Member # 46371

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boognish   Email Boognish   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
does canting the bow offer any benefit? i shoot better when i don't cant but canting feels more natural to me. confused as always lol
Posts: 43 | From: Bham ALABAMA | Registered: Jun 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat B
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pat B   Email Pat B   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The more natural you feel the better you'll shoot.

--------------------
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 13166 | From: Brevard, NC. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deno
Contributor 2017
Member # 44244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deno   Email Deno   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cant and keep canting if it feels more natural.

Deno

--------------------
United Bowhunters of New Jersey
Traditional Archers of New Jersey
Howard Hill Wesley Special 70#
Howard Hill Big 5 65#

Posts: 371 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Nov 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bunyan
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5462

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bunyan   Email bunyan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think one of the true benefits of shooting a trad bow is the "fluidity" or versatility of the shot. I don't think you have to cant the bow, but I do think being able to is a good thing. Being able to shoot around, over, or under obstacles by holding the bow at any angle is a good thing! Of course i hunt from the ground where this is more of an issue and you have to practice! If canting isn't working for you is it because you're torquing the string? I believe this is a common problem, by I'm no Fred asbell to diagnose that for sure!
Posts: 374 | From: McKean, PA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim Casto Jr
Contributor 2014
Member # 3606

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jim Casto Jr   Email Jim Casto Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you answered your own question. The goal is to hit the mark--right?

--------------------
"Archery is really very simple. You just have to do the exact same thing on every shot."
Bill Leslie, July 22, 2017

"Form is everything."
Al Cole, June 7, 2008

Posts: 1204 | From: WV | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RJonesRCRV
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 44167

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RJonesRCRV   Email RJonesRCRV   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watch Hitting Em like Howard Hill, by John Schulz. He covers canting. It make short range shots easier in my opinion

--------------------
Samick Sage 50#
Kimsha Mattawoman II 51#
Dale Phillips Nodebow 58#
USMC 2005-2010

Posts: 336 | From: (Southern) Maryland | Registered: Nov 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KeganM
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 40689

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KeganM   Author's Homepage   Email KeganM   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are trade offs for either.

I shoot better with a vertical bow as it's easier to get proper shoulder alignment. It also offers better string clearance, which helps in a tree stand with extra layers on. That said, canting allows me to more comfortably rotate my elbow as well as offering a clearer view of the target.

Have to just find what works best for you and what you're trying to do.

Posts: 224 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nhbuck1
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 43718

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nhbuck1   Email nhbuck1   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
does the hand have to rotate to the angle of the string canting? so if your right handed and your canting do you have to rotate hand wrist and forearm clockwise to match the cant?

--------------------
aim small miss small

Posts: 1111 | From: NH | Registered: Jul 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mahantango
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 11820

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mahantango   Email mahantango   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, or you will torque the string.

--------------------
We are all here because we are not all there.

Posts: 1141 | From: central Pa. | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nhbuck1
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 43718

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nhbuck1   Email nhbuck1   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
feels like this creates tension in the wrist/forearm turning the hand clockwise

--------------------
aim small miss small

Posts: 1111 | From: NH | Registered: Jul 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
McDave
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 10587

Icon 1 posted      Profile for McDave   Author's Homepage   Email McDave   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nhbuck1:
feels like this creates tension in the wrist/forearm turning the hand clockwise

You get used to it. It's like anything new; it feels strange at first. I give my string hand a slight clockwise twist at the start of each draw to avoid torquing the string. After about a million times, it feels perfectly natural to me now.

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

I'm a man, and I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Posts: 4204 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nhbuck1
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 43718

im rotating it as far as it can go i have a 2 oclock cant

--------------------
aim small miss small

Dry Creek
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 9484

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dry Creek   Email Dry Creek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never really thought about turning my hand to match the string. This is very interesting, can not wait to get to the house and try this. Maybe just maybe this will help my inconsistency.

--------------------
58" Bear Super Grizzly 45@28
60" TallTines 44@28

Posts: 556 | From: Central Mississippi | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nhbuck1
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 43718

if i dont do this i get horrible broadhead flight

--------------------
aim small miss small

bama
Contributor 2017
Member # 5383

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bama   Email bama   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some can and some can't cant
Posts: 364 | From: ALABAMA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©