Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Shooters FORM Forum » canting the bow (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: canting the bow
Terry Green
ADMIN
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Terry Green   Author's Homepage   Email Terry Green       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can't never could..... and he was a one-trick pony

--------------------
"An anchor point is not a destination, it's an evolution to execution" - Me

"It's important, when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Black Powder Gang ......... & Loop Addictions (COMING TODAY !!!!!!!)

Posts: 30571 | From: GAWGIA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fun4all
Member # 45221

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fun4all   Email Fun4all   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One thing I have learned canting the bow, to avoid/reduce string torque have a loose bow hand that way the bow will naturally cant with the string hand. This is due to the fact that the bow is not anchored in place and pivots in the bow hand.
Posts: 24 | From: Alabama | Registered: Aug 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
McDave
Contributor 2017
Member # 10587

Icon 1 posted      Profile for McDave   Author's Homepage   Email McDave   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fun4all:
One thing I have learned canting the bow, to avoid/reduce string torque have a loose bow hand that way the bow will naturally cant with the string hand. This is due to the fact that the bow is not anchored in place and pivots in the bow hand.

Exactly. That's what I was trying to say.

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

I'm a man, and I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Posts: 4157 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
olddogrib
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1481

Icon 1 posted      Profile for olddogrib   Email olddogrib   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had some bows that a slight cant seemed to better align the shaft under my eye...others not so much. That's what I use as the determining factor. The two bows I have currently shoot best completely vertical. If I get a "flyer" about 4"inches left (I'm RH) I know I've inadvertently gone back to my comfortable 1 o'clock cant. I think that's more of form thing...I just know to quit it, lol!

--------------------
"Wakan Tanka
Wakan Tanka
Pilamaya
Wichoni heh"

Posts: 1645 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
YosemiteSam
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for YosemiteSam   Email YosemiteSam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't see how you could position the nock directly under the eye without canting the bow a little. On a perfectly vertical bow, the string blocks my vision of the arrow shaft, target & everything else. I can hold the bow vertical but I need an arrow spined a little stiff or weak to compensate for the arrow being slightly out of alignment when I look on one side of the string or the other. It's the same basic issue behind a side-mounted scope on a rifle in that if your eye isn't directly over the bore, you're going to hit off to one side. The amount of the left/right adjustment will vary based on the range of the target and will cross over to the opposite side past your zero range.

Granted, I can sometimes shoot more consistently with a vertical bow since it's harder to mess up vertical but pretty easy to get 5-10% off of my normal cant -- especially on uneven terrain, under bushes, etc. Most compound shooters get around this by looking through the string with a peep sight.

--------------------
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Posts: 552 | From: CA | Registered: Sep 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
McDave
Contributor 2017
Member # 10587

Icon 1 posted      Profile for McDave   Author's Homepage   Email McDave   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I doubt that many people shoot with a dead vertical bow in traditional archery. Since we don't use bubble levels on our bows, it would be hard to maintain a dead vertical orientation. I remember when I first got into archery in the '80's, I started with a compound bow that I shot with a finger release. I didn't have a bubble level on my bow; they may not have even existed at that time, but I sure wanted one. I think I may have even tried to invent one myself, but I switched over to traditional archery before that idea got very far down the road, and never looked back.

Nor would it be really desirable to have a dead vertical bow, for the reasons Sam mentions above. We can cant our bows without the same negative effects on accuracy that would be the case with a compound bow because our bow hands are much closer to the arrow than with a compound bow. What we need instead of bubble levels and vertical bows is a reliable way to get the same bow orientation shot after shot. Fortunately, we have that if we have repeatable anchors and string blur. String blur can be your friend, although maybe not if it is in the exact center of your eye. I cant my bow a few degrees until the string blur is at the edge of my vision, which is almost like having another anchor. I try to get the same string blur in the same place every time I shoot the bow.

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

I'm a man, and I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Posts: 4157 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terry Green
ADMIN
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Terry Green   Author's Homepage   Email Terry Green       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you cant your bow(twisting your wrist) and not your head...you are likely torquing the string.

I cant my body which cants my everything...and I still have "The Magic T"....in pretty much any position I can get into....and yes...even reverse cant.

--------------------
"An anchor point is not a destination, it's an evolution to execution" - Me

"It's important, when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Black Powder Gang ......... & Loop Addictions (COMING TODAY !!!!!!!)

Posts: 30571 | From: GAWGIA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolftrail
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 41211

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolftrail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I seem to be more accurate when canting about 30dg. Shooting traditional. Dont use Compounds.
Posts: 691 | From: BC, Canada | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©