Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Shooters FORM Forum » What's the scoop with increasing the distance?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What's the scoop with increasing the distance?
heli
Member # 46538

Icon 1 posted      Profile for heli   Email heli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I have been practicing in the basement, 12 yards, for a while. When on a roll, I can shoot 3" groups, consistently. I went to the shooting range and shot 20 yards, but for whatever reason, I'm not consistent at all. I would have thought that maybe my groups would open up to double, say 6" but that's not the case, it's worse. I'm shooting instinctively. What's going on? Is this normal, when double-ing the distance, can't expect the same for the group size? No free lunch, eh?
Posts: 15 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Aug 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
McDave
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 10587

Icon 1 posted      Profile for McDave   Author's Homepage   Email McDave   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No. You have to get used to shooting each new distance before you can expect proportionate groups (i.e. 6" groups at 20 yards). Your sight picture looks different, your mind works differently, so your body is tense. Just shoot more at longer distances and it will all work out eventually.

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

I'm a man, and I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Posts: 4204 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
heli
Member # 46538

Icon 1 posted      Profile for heli   Email heli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks McDave. Back to more practicing
Posts: 15 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Aug 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
YosemiteSam
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for YosemiteSam   Email YosemiteSam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Errors expand in a non-linear fashion so, hypothetically, a 3" group at 10 yards may be a 8" group at 20 yards and 20" at 40 yards. That's not hard data, by the way, I'm just showing a non-linear progression. In theory, they shouldn't vary all that much. In practice, it's often more than you'd think. Makes those long range shots all the more impressive.

--------------------
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Posts: 616 | From: CA | Registered: Sep 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Producer
2017 Contributor
Member # 43061

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Producer   Email Producer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I find that even more than distance the environment in which you shoot plays a big factor, such as your basement to the desert,to the forest. There are many factors that complicate the shot and you must practice in all the environments in which you plan to shoot.

--------------------
What gives me wings? Flying with my arrows over and over again. And never giving up...For giving up means not believing...

Posts: 210 | From: Arizona | Registered: Feb 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomMcDonald
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 17207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TomMcDonald   Email TomMcDonald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gotta train the brain.
Posts: 660 | From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
heli
Member # 46538

Thanks guys!
Stumpkiller
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 976

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stumpkiller   Email Stumpkiller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you more consistent in width (horizontal) than vertical?

You have to educate your eye and bow arm to the proper hold for the new distance. Like Tom said: "gotta train the brain." But it's the whole spacial and muscle relationship of eyes, arrow, arms and attitude. Are you shooting with others around? That can blow your concentration.

Are you using the same target face? Try a smaller spot to aim at for the longer distance. The further out you go the more difficult it is to pick a specific spot and focus on it. At least for me.

Practice, practice, practice.

--------------------
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Posts: 4009 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©