Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Shooters FORM Forum » string hits nose

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: string hits nose
mdkelley
Member # 46715

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mdkelley   Email mdkelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trying to learn how to shoot instinctively. The string often flicks my nose on release. I try to keep my face square to the target and this helps but wondering what else I may be doing wrong. Have been shooting for about three weeks or so, already able to easily hold back my 55# limbs but usually practice with 38# limbs. Shooting at 10-12 yds in the basement, too dark outside after work now...

I switch between using a tab and a glove. Seems to happen more with glove but I shoot that more too

Posts: 14 | From: Michigan | Registered: Oct 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the rifleman
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 31319

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the rifleman   Email the rifleman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Matthew, a couple of things you can try-- raise or lower your anchor point and see if that helps. Be sure you are not plucking the string as that can cause it to hit your nose. I know you said your head is square to target-- that is what you want-- never turn your head toward string, it is okay to tilt your head to get arrow under your eye-- try tucking your chin toward bow arm shoulder. Good luck.
Posts: 517 | From: Ohio | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smokin joe
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 15756

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smokin joe   Email smokin joe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is often caused by lowering your head to meet the string. Try concentrating on pulling the string back to anchor while keeping your head still and upright.

--------------------
TGMM
Compton
PBS

Posts: 2213 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mdkelley
Member # 46715

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mdkelley   Email mdkelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks guys. I am pretty sure I am doing both, lowering my head and turning head towards string. I try to keep keep my face square but it's hard to do. Maybe from 30 years of shooting with a release and a kisser button on my wheeled bow... I appreciate the help!
Posts: 14 | From: Michigan | Registered: Oct 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newhouse114
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 41734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newhouse114   Author's Homepage   Email newhouse114   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been shooting for almost 50 years and it still happens occasionally.
Posts: 563 | From: Oregon | Registered: Jun 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tzolk
Contributor 2015
Member # 35255

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tzolk   Email tzolk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you holding with the string in the first set of finger joint grooves (deepHook)? When my form is off, I hit my nose everytime with the string, its a reminder for me. Sometimes it is vicious!

--------------------
All the Best!
Todd Z

Posts: 810 | From: Sandpoint Idaho | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sore fingers
Contributor 2014
Member # 11763

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sore fingers   Email sore fingers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vicious is right!! It Friken hurts. What helped me was I opened my stance up a little and really made sure I pulled through my shot. And sometimes I would really burry that string into my face. I have been good for about a year without a nose job.
Posts: 188 | From: idaho | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sore fingers
Contributor 2014
Member # 11763

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sore fingers   Email sore fingers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, and crankin the string into your face like I did. Not good. You dont have to be to firm with it against your face. Good luck.
Posts: 188 | From: idaho | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mdkelley
Member # 46715

Yes, deep hook at first finger joint. Anchor middle finger at corner of mouth. Yeah it isn't comfortable for sure! I will check my stance and focus on follow through. All great pointers, thanks guys. I was hoping shooting wasn't supposed to feel that way!
Roy from Pa
Contributor 2017
Member # 10602

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roy from Pa   Email Roy from Pa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you anchor at the corner of your mouth, and are hitting your nose, you have to be turning your head in towards the string. Try touching the tip of your nose right on the back side of the string.
Posts: 11325 | From: PA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stumpkiller
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 976

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stumpkiller   Email Stumpkiller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tilt the bow away from the shelf side more.

--------------------
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Posts: 4002 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©