Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Shooters FORM Forum » Anchor finger - index or middle? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Anchor finger - index or middle?
Pat B
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pat B   Email Pat B   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It really doesn't matter which finger where but the consistency of your anchor.

--------------------
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 13193 | From: Brevard, NC. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sirius Black
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 34894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sirius Black   Email Sirius Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Middle.

--------------------
Bear Kodiak

Posts: 1318 | From: Baraboo, Wisconsin | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trenton G.
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trenton G.   Email Trenton G.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started out middle, but then over time realized that I was putting the corner of my mouth between my middle and index. I noticed in a picture the other day that Byron Ferguson does the same thing. If only I got the same results.
Posts: 476 | From: Boyne City, Michigan | Registered: Oct 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zradix
Contributor 2014
Member # 17930

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zradix   Author's Homepage   Email Zradix   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I use use my index I tend to pluck the string.
I put about 70% of string pressure on my middle finger and around 20% on my ring finger. My index basically just goes along for the ride.

...I shoot split btw.

--------------------
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Posts: 6069 | From: Shelby, Michigan | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Woodpuppy
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 46065

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Woodpuppy   Email Woodpuppy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anybody use their ring finger?

--------------------
TBOF
Horse Creek Traditional Archey Club

Posts: 148 | From: Florida | Registered: Mar 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam McMichael
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 17671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam McMichael   Email Sam McMichael   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use the middle finger.

--------------------
Sam

Posts: 4811 | From: Gray, Georgia | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jakeemt
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 35665

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jakeemt   Email Jakeemt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OP the author of that book iAnthony Camera is an old school sighted archer. I think he made the Olympic hopefuls a few times but, I am not sure if he ever made the team. Regardless the index finger anchor is what he has been shooting for man many years most often with sights but, I have no doubt he is damn good without them! Use the anchor point the works best with your style and aiming system whatever that may be. I have a sighted bow and I too like a nice low anchor but, gap shooting a bare bow I like a high anchor. Don’t worry too much about how you want to anchor and worry most about a solid repeatable anchor with good form behind it.
Posts: 849 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stumpkiller
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 976

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stumpkiller   Email Stumpkiller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Woodpuppy:
Anybody use their ring finger?

To draw with, yes. Along with the middle and index. I tried lopping 3/4" off with a tractor but that didn't help and I had to shoot lefty for a year until it "grew back".

But I must say switch-bowing is a wake-up call for form. I had to start from scratch.

Glad it took and is back in the game. I still have to "remember" my elbow height at anchor as that low finger is semi-numb and I have a high-arrow fault if I get sloppy.

--------------------
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Posts: 4057 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BijanO
Member # 46723

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BijanO   Email BijanO   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks gents. The switch from RH to LH but no go on fingers made me chuckle.
Posts: 13 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Oct 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill from NJ
Member # 44394

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill from NJ   Email Bill from NJ   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Middle finger in corner of my mouth.

Only because it is longer and touches my mouth better.

--------------------
Ephesians Chapter 6:12

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

Posts: 97 | From: Southern New Jersey | Registered: Dec 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rough Run
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 44566

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rough Run   Email Rough Run   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Index finger. Just felt natural, more comfortable for me.
Posts: 362 | From: Kernersville, NC | Registered: Feb 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jayrod
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 17800

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jayrod   Author's Homepage   Email Jayrod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Middle finger corner of mouth for me also

--------------------
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Associate member/ PBS

Posts: 3213 | From: Western Pennsylvania | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KyStickbow
2017 Contributor
Member # 23941

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KyStickbow   Email KyStickbow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Middle finger for me.

--------------------
Aim small...Miss small!!

Posts: 2165 | From: Kentucky | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LongbowArchitect
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 34644

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LongbowArchitect   Email LongbowArchitect   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Index finger at back of eye tooth and thumb knuckle under jaw bone for me.
Posts: 306 | From: CO | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
moebow
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 19141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moebow   Email moebow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've suggested this many times but most don't get it. Your anchor point (hand on the face) is a result of the draw, NOT a target for or of the draw. Draw to bone on bone alignment THEN where your hand ends up is where your hand ends up. Many try to define a place for the hand on the face THEN draw to that point. That does NOT give you a consistent form or body position. IMO, you must draw until the bow weight is taken up by the bones in your arms and shoulders THEN your hand comes to the face and you can then determine locations of the string hand. Like finger in the corner of the mouth, on a tooth, on the jaw, etc.

The hand position is a RESULT of the draw, NOT a target of the draw!!

Arne

--------------------
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Posts: 2372 | From: Grand Rapids, Minnesota | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©