Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Shooters FORM Forum » Questions about gap (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Questions about gap
LongbowArchitect
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 34644

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LongbowArchitect   Email LongbowArchitect   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quote by McDave "The usual way to gap shoot is to focus on the target, with the arrow tip out of focus in your peripheral vision. You focus on the spot you want to hit, not the spot where you place your arrow tip, unless you happen to be shooting at your point on distance."

This is the form that Jimmy Blackmon uses and recommended to me when I switched to shooting gap. This works well for me except for when the lighting is not great and I struggle to "see" my arrow tip in my peripheral vision. I find, at those times, that if I BRIEFLY close my left eye (I'm right handed) that it helps me to see my arrow point in my peripheral vision better.

Posts: 308 | From: CO | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
McDave
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 10587

Icon 1 posted      Profile for McDave   Email McDave   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's why I think it is good to be trained in instinctive shooting. I wouldn't shoot at an animal under these conditions, but in a 3D shoot where the lighting is not great, or where the arrow tip gets lost in the undergrowth and it's difficult to gap, it's nice to be able to just focus on the target, forget about the arrow tip, and know that the arrow is going to end up pretty close to where you're looking.

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

I'm a man, and I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Posts: 4283 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the rifleman
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 31319

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the rifleman   Email the rifleman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seeing the tip of the arrow shaft was more important for me when I first started out. I relied on it to confirm my gaps at different distances. The more I shot the more my focus went from being on the arrow to being on the target. I still know where the arrow is but it is now only in my peripheral vision. As McDave said, the "instinctive" shooting is something that may help you make shots under less than ideal circumstances and comes about after many shots. When I shot rifle competitively the sights were important at first, after years of shooting I looked through the sights at the target. The brain is capable of much more than we access it to do...
Posts: 573 | From: Ohio | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©