JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION FORUMS

Trad Gang.com   
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Trad Gang Highlights » Highlights 2006 » A few days with Ray (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: A few days with Ray
Talondale
Contributor 2007
Member # 9336

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Talondale   Email Talondale   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Knife River,
The Rose Mallow is a variety of Hibiscus. A flower you can buy at most nurseries and very popular in the South. The blooms on some Hibiscus can be huge. More info on the Rose Mallow: http://www.assateague.com/ros-mal.html

I did not know the original Marshmallow came from flower roots. Smore's anyone?

--------------------
Jesse, forever 5

Posts: 2061 | From: Botetourt Co. VA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TimBow2
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 9544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TimBow2   Email TimBow2   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
great pic's.........
Posts: 238 | From: TN / GA / WY | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Hammond
SPONSOR
Member # 607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Hammond   Author's Homepage   Email Ray Hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a picture of a knife that Woody made for me...can you believe this thing????????

-

--------------------
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Posts: 8808 | From: Buford GA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UK Bowman
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 6661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for UK Bowman   Email UK Bowman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is a thing of beauty...I'm serious.
Posts: 449 | From: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Killdeer
Contributor 2016
Member # 437

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Killdeer   Author's Homepage   Email Killdeer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sho'nuff!
Dandy photography, too! Woody, you need someone to trot along behind you with a spare camera?

All those times we shot together, he never once mentioned knapping... [dntthnk]

Killdeer [banghead]

--------------------
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Posts: 15439 | From: Fibber McGee's Closet, VA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
4runr
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 8051

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4runr   Email 4runr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ray, that knife is a thing of beauty. You are a lucky man. What's the handle?

--------------------
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 8049 | From: Hartville, Ohio | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vermonster13
SPONSOR
Member # 8675

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vermonster13   Email vermonster13   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is one sweet knife there.

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

http://www.blackswanarchery.com/

Posts: 21856 | From: Rutland, Vermont | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Hammond
SPONSOR
Member # 607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Hammond   Author's Homepage   Email Ray Hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I THINK I remember Knifey saying Gaboon Ebony?

--------------------
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Posts: 8808 | From: Buford GA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Pearson
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 8414

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Pearson   Email CJ Pearson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yessir, some of these pictures look familiar. Knifey, Sir, you do beautiful work with them rocks. I know you had a wonderful time with Ray at his place.
Ray, you make sure and show us the game you harvest with them arra's.

Posts: 1063 | From: Below the Blue Ridge Mountains. | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Al33
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 3953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Al33   Author's Homepage   Email Al33   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WOW!!!! Woody has talent coming out of his ears. Those are some of the most beautiful points and blade I have ever seen. Absoulutely awesome work Woody!!! You are dang handy with that camera too. Nice photo's.

Looking forward to more of the same, but maybe with a pig kill story too. [Wink]

Posts: 721 | From: Marietta, Georgia | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
knife river
Contributor 2010
Member # 7334

Icon 1 posted      Profile for knife river   Author's Homepage   Email knife river   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That knife had a macassar ebony handle. Nice stuff to work with and gorgeous, too!

Ray just sent me more photos! On with the story...

We met about noon and within thirty minutes I felt like Ray and I had been best friends for years. Ray, pardon me if I embarass you, but folks, this is one of the greatest guys you'll ever hope to meet. Forget hog hunting, forget depth of knowledge, just take the opportunity to get to know him. And be sure to ask him to sing. Terry knows what I'm talking about. [Wink]

We cruised through some likely hangouts for hogs and tossed some corn in shallow water around wallows. We'd barely driven out of one area when a black Volkswagen sedan crossed the road behind us. Turned out it wasn't a VW, but a nice big hog already snarfing down corn between blackberry-eating binges. Most of the hogs on this property are direct descendants of stock brought over by Spaniards hundreds of years ago. They are black as sin and their ears are erect and pointed. There are a few other feral hogs here, but the landowner encourages hunters to remove them to keep the Spanish strain as pure as possible.

We fine-tuned our gear and chatted until it was time to get in the woods. Except for one quick whitetail hunt in Idaho, it's been ten years since I've done any kind of hunting. And it's been over twenty since I had a bow in the woods. I've tried to explain to my wife how much I missed hunting, but only another hunter can understand the bone-deep longing. Now, finally, the time had arrived.

The first stop was the dark bottom land. There was hog sign, but no hogs. Plenty of armadillos but no pork. A couple of barred owls moved ahead of us through the big timber. Ray said, "The hunters are out." I was glad to be one of them.

We were slipping down a trail when we both pulled up. There was faint shuffling on the far side of some palmettos. I did a buttonhook to move in from the side while Ray watched the trail. It was difficult to pick anything out of the tangle of palmettos, ferns, and downed limbs, but at about thirty yards I saw a couple leaves move. A mid-sized hog was standing under them, looking back at me. I guess he got an eyeful pretty quick, as he blasted out of the palmettos and nearly ran over Ray. So this is hog hunting...

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
Martin Luther King, Jr.

Posts: 1696 | From: St Simons Island, GA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
knife river
Contributor 2010
Member # 7334

Icon 1 posted      Profile for knife river   Author's Homepage   Email knife river   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We got back to the truck and decided to check some of the wallows we'd corned. Nothing happening yet -- probably too early, but with time to spare, Ray suggested I cruise through a section of young pines. There were blackberry thickets in there and hogs might be up and feeding on them. He was right. After several hundred yards, I heard hogs grunting. The wind was good, so I moved in. A thick blackberry bramble stood between us, but the hogs were less than eight yards away. I could hear their lips smacking as they ate, but I could only get glimpses of hide. Maddening. What was I looking at? Which direction are they facing? Then they started moving. I got a quick look -- good hog. Another couple feet and it'd be in an open spot under pine limbs. The bow came up and the arrow was away. Pine limbs. That tree! My flint-tipped arrow deflected over the hog's back and the little herd scattered. I was angry and exultant at the same time. I never saw that arrow or those hogs again, but that was okay. I was hunting. I met Ray on the far side of the pines. We talked about the encounter and then he quietly mentioned that he had a pig down.

-

Ray, don't let me steal your thunder, buddy! This is a good story about second-chance shots and Grizzlies!

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
Martin Luther King, Jr.

Posts: 1696 | From: St Simons Island, GA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Pearson
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 8414

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Pearson   Email CJ Pearson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another great hunt with Ray... Gotta love it. Knife river, funny you mentioned the singing part I was wondering last eveing if you got to hear that wonderful voice of "Rapper Ray".
Posts: 1063 | From: Below the Blue Ridge Mountains. | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JC
Contributor 2014
Member # 148

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JC   Email JC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahhh yes....very nice pics there Woody....and as the others said, your talent is simply stunning. You are correct, you'll not meet a nicer guy than Ray.

Tell your first tale Ray....and don't you think it's bout time for a "smoke off" with all that pork you got?

--------------------
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Posts: 9619 | From: Ranger, GA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Hammond
SPONSOR
Member # 607

Mostly I was just hoping Woody would get into them in the berries, as most of the droppings we had found, even predator droppings, were just filled with blackberries!

I check the wind constantly in that flat country as it regularly changes, using a puffer bottle loaded with corn starch..and just walk against or cross-wind as the circumstances offer, and try to be as quiet as possible when moving along.

We put the corn we use- (about 3 sacks is plenty for a 4 day hunt)and we do it IN the water OFF the roads, so we can use the roadways to move in and the hogs are working IN water to try to get the corn- keeps them busy, and noisy, and gives you a chance to move in undetected.

Funny thing though, we usually take NO hogs ON the corn...but this hunt was different. As I moved along the road at the other end of the block Woody was going through I heard that unmistakable sound of a hog working a wet area- its a combination of jaws grinding corn and nose pushing water around...once you hear it you always remember the sound. The hog was head down-facing me- workin' it! I loaded up one of the beautiful flint river broadhead tipped arrows Woody had made up and got ready.

The hog finally turned broadside and I drew and released in one motion- OVER THE HOG'S BACK! The arrows Woody made are beautiful cedars with nice heavy stone points- but they are considerably lighter than my carbons and I just made a rookie mistake and didnt factor that in ( I was too chicken to practice with the beautiful stone points)

She jumped sideways, flipped directions- and stood perfectly quiet- checking with all her senses for ANY signal of what just happened.

That's the great thing about a quiet bow- you sometimes get a second chance. I stood stock still and waited, and presently she put her nose down, I loaded up and started my draw- but it was too much movement- she picked up on it and started off...but one thing about my Centaur is I know it hits with the heavy arrows I use with a tremendous amount of authority so I shot her going away, through the side of the ham and the arrow went in to the nock, the Grizzly cutting everything important because she traveled less than 20 yards- close enough for me to still see her, and expired.

--------------------

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©