JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION FORUMS

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » Photography/Video Q&A Forum » What Digital SLR Camera do you like (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: What Digital SLR Camera do you like
BigStriper
Contributor 2015
Member # 16927

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BigStriper   Email BigStriper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would like your thoughts and Likes and Dislikes for a not to Expensive Digital SLR Camera, preferably a Canon or a Nikon,which models do you like,

Kurt

Posts: 741 | From: Edwardsville,IL.62025 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
swampthing
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 18442

Icon 1 posted      Profile for swampthing   Email swampthing   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nikon D3100. Does everything the more expensive models do.
The only 2 things that expensive models do "better," is that they are faster in "frames per second" for sports photographers and paparazzi. Camera adjustments on the fly is #2. Meaning the less expensive models require a menu adjustment, the expensive ones have dedicated buttons for faster changes to the settings.
Save your money and buy a fast aperture, f 1.4-1.8, 35-50mm fixed lens for low light, and use the kit lens for everything else.

Posts: 1044 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
briarjumper12
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 21475

Icon 1 posted      Profile for briarjumper12   Email briarjumper12   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a Nikon D90 and love it. The reason I went with it over the 5100 is that it is compatible with the older lenses. The D90 has a in body focus motor which all the older autofocus lenses need to be functional. The 5100 or 3100 doesn't have that.

--------------------
Blessed be the Lord my strength; which teacheth my hands to war and my fingers to fight.

Posts: 338 | From: Williamsburg, Kentucky | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
swampthing
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 18442

Icon 1 posted      Profile for swampthing   Email swampthing   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
True, if you use older AF-D lenses. Someone not looking to buy every focal point would still get by much cheaper with a D3100 w/ a kit lens, and throw a 35mm f1.8g, for 200. bucks, in for lowlight with or without flash.
Posts: 1044 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
briarjumper12
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 21475

Icon 1 posted      Profile for briarjumper12   Email briarjumper12   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I been wanting that 25\f1.8. I have a 24/f2.8 manual lense that works great, just have to shoot manual all the time.

--------------------
Blessed be the Lord my strength; which teacheth my hands to war and my fingers to fight.

Posts: 338 | From: Williamsburg, Kentucky | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
swampthing
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 18442

f1.4-1.8 with digital, man you won't need flash to freeze motion until your in the dark!
The AF-S, 35mm f1.8 G lens, got to be THE best bang for the buck with the "DX" sized dslr's.
Most times I don't even bother with my kit lens or my tele, the near instant focus speed, natural field of view, just a great great all around "fast", prime lens that just get's it done.

waknstak IL
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 9177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for waknstak IL   Email waknstak IL   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a Nikon D90 and it has a lot of features that make it superior to the d3100 for anyone serious about photography. But If you are just looking to shoot family photos and vacation pics buy the d3100 it is a great lightweight camera perfect for this. Then take the money you saved and buy a sb600 flash. One hint Best Buy in Edwardsville will match online camera store prices if you ask them and they actually had the best price I could find on an sb600. I live in Collinsville and got my d90 there.

--------------------
"You can't have NO in your heart"- Joe Dirt

Posts: 911 | From: Southern Illinois | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BigStriper
Contributor 2015
Member # 16927

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BigStriper   Email BigStriper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would like to Thank All of you for your input on Camera's,I live in Edwardsville so I will have to keep Best Buy in mind Mike, Thanks again,

Kurt

Posts: 741 | From: Edwardsville,IL.62025 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
swampthing
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 18442

Don't over look the SB400, great speed light, it saves the cameras batteries when using fill flash. The 600 is quite large.
Geezer
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 8154

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geezer   Email Geezer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a Canon T1i that I like a lot and it has a lot more features than I could ever become proficient with. It often receives high ratings from photo sources (magazines, etc.). I found the best price on it from Best Buy and recently I've started buying more equipment through Adorama.

--------------------
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
RMEF / NWTF

Posts: 323 | From: So. Colorado | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MI_Bowhunter
Contributor 2011
Member # 9242

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MI_Bowhunter   Email MI_Bowhunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I picked up a Canon T2i last fall and love it. Great pictures (18MP) and HD video. I've had Canons for years and didnt have to buy any lenses for it. Camera works awesome in low light.

Only thing I don't like so far is that in video mode you have to manually focus. Depending on the light and your eyesight you may or may not be able to see the screen clearly enough to know if the image is sharp or not.

--------------------
"Failure is an attitude, not an outcome." -Harvey Mackay

[archer] MikeD.

Posts: 1313 | From: Flint, MI | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rraming
Contributor 2016
Member # 19822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rraming   Email rraming   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Canon makes a lot of affordable slr's. I own a rebel and it works great. My iso goes to 1600, others for twice the price will go higher. You do get what you pay for with camera's but how much you need only you can answer. I think everyone would agree Canon makes the best lenses.
Posts: 1606 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BMG
Contributor 2014
Member # 15782

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BMG   Author's Homepage   Email BMG   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
another vote for the Canon Rebel T2i
Posts: 405 | From: Tijeras, NM | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
guspup
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 18647

Icon 1 posted      Profile for guspup   Author's Homepage   Email guspup   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nikon D40, all I could afford, and all really needed :-)
Posts: 335 | From: Canandaigua, NY | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BigStriper
Contributor 2015
Member # 16927

I would like to Thank everyone for there input,but my wife has decided to go with another point and shoot Camera so I was looking at the Canon Powershot Elph 310 HS,does anybody know anything about these or do you have another Similar Type Camera that you like,

Thanks,Kurt

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©