JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION FORUMS

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » Photography/Video Q&A Forum » What Digital SLR Camera do you like (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: What Digital SLR Camera do you like
Aeronut
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 4713

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aeronut   Email Aeronut   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to shoot lots of pictures with my 35mm Pentax cameras and then went to a Sony digital when film got hard to find. I missed my SLR cameras and made the decision to find a DSLR that I could afford and had the features I was used to.

After a lot of research I chose a Nikon D3100. I use the camera a lot at my daughter's BMX races and have become the track photographer at our local track and have been invited to take pictures at other tracks. The most used feature on my D3100 is the ability to shoot frames at around 1/sec. and the camera will hold up to 100 pictures in a buffer. My D3100 has taken around 6500 pictures since I bought it last March.

One drawback is that the D300 has some problems with the mode dial malfunction where it will not come up to the mode that is indicated on the dial.
Mine is in the shop for a scheduled cleaning and hopefully the mode dial problems will be fixed for good. I like my camera.

-

-

This Egret was almost 100 yards away when it took off. I shot the picture with a 55-300mm lens and let the autofocus do the focus. Not too bad for just a split second point and shoot opportunity.
 -

Like I said, I like my Nikon.

Dennis

Posts: 1519 | From: Osage Township, McCune, Kansas | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Chappell
2017 Contributor
Member # 11677

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Chappell   Email Steve Chappell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After a good deal of research and reading on several rating sites, I purchased a Nikon D7000 over the Canon 7D. I did not want a pro level DSLR but I wanted one where the odds of growing out of it are slim. I believe I have achieved this. I have found these DSLR cameras are incredibly complicated and sensitive compared to the old film SLRs. I had a good idea going into this it was going to take a serious commitment on my part to learn everything I need to know to shoot great pics in any setting; that process started this morning with my first class. My head is spinning on all the detail these cameras offer but I am excited to continue to learn. I am told getting high quality lenses is more important on DSLRs due to how sensitive they are. My first lens is a Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8 ED. I would encourage anyone looking to get into this to read about it first and then look at the ratings of the cameras and lenses you have set your eye on before buying. There are several very good websites that focus specifically on cameras and Lenses.

--------------------
Huntfun!
Compton Life member
Michigan Longbow Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers

Posts: 527 | From: Williamston, Michigan | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Lyon
Charter Member - Contributor 2017
Member # 35

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Lyon   Email Ray Lyon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steve, that's a good heads up for those of us watching this and contemplating the plunge. Please keep us informed as to your progress.

--------------------
Shrewhaven Lodge co-chef

Posts: 4308 | From: Traverse City, MI | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hud
Contributor 2017
Member # 9639

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hud   Author's Homepage   Email Hud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Canon G-11, have used this for little over a year and very happy with the quality, and weight without stepping up to a DSLR.

Whatever you are considering, there probably is a review on wwwdpreview.com

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 2069 | From: Ridgefield, Wa. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eminart
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 35898

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eminart   Email eminart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it hasn't been mentioned yet, lenses are far more important than the camera body. You really can't go wrong with any dslr body. All of them are good and capable of producing great images. Some of them have more bells and whistles and controls that are easier to navigate, but they'll all do what you want. Most of the entry level dslr's (Nikon at least) don't have internal focusing motors, so you're limited to buying lenses that have their own motors. Not a big deal to most people, but if you're really into photography, it cuts down on your lens selection dramatically.

Where things get important, and expensive, is the lenses. You can quickly go bankrupt lusting after camera lenses.

A few of my photos:

-

-

-

-

-

--------------------
“...the old ones ... knew in their bones... that death exists, that all life kills to eat, that all lives end, that energy goes on. They knew that humans are participants, not spectators.” -- Stephen Bodio, On the Edge of the Wild

Posts: 289 | From: AL | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo0se
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 18281

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mo0se   Email Mo0se   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use a Canon T1I..great body for the money. I will echo what someone else said..lenses matter more than anything. That being said I think the perfect point and shoot with Manual capability has to be the Canon SX210IS it can likely be found at clearance prices well south of $200. It's 14 megapixel with a lot of great features.
I take it with me when I don't want to lug around the DSLR. Here are some shots from the past weekend at a 3d Shoot.

-

-

-

-

-

--------------------
The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind - Fred Bear

Posts: 116 | From: Kansas | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay Campbell JD
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 18504

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Campbell JD   Email Jay Campbell JD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have 2 Nikon D-7000s, and a D-800 on the way. That said, it's all about the lenses. In fact, the priority for great pictures might be: Composition, Light, Lenses, Camera. in the Nikon vs. Canon DSLR world, pick one and stay with it. The reason is lenses, as with those two great camera makers, the lenses never really go out of date. I recently sold a 25 year old manual focus Nikon 600mm f 4 for $2,000.

If I had to choose, I would shoot with an old Nikon D-70 camera (ten year old technology) and keep my 300mm f2.8, and be happy. if I were forced to choose between a new Point and Shoot 16 Mega Pixel camera and an old DSLR or even SLR 35mm camera and "great" interchangeable lenses, I would take the camera with the interchangeable lenses. For me, the options are greater, the ability to adjust is greater.

Of course, I have point and shoot cameras, the Lumix waterproof models, and they can take great, publishable pictures (and underwater, and underwater HD video). but in my opinion, everything has to be just right for that to happen.

But at the end of the day, if composition and light is right, even the I phone can take a truly great photograph.  My opinion, of course. See our longbow hunting pictures at www.jaycampbellphotography.com, private gallery longbows, password "Buffalo", capital B. 

Best, Jay and Karen Campbell

--------------------
The how and why of hunting is more important than the what, or the where, or with whom. In hunting - as in life - the joy is in the journey.

Posts: 147 | From: Florida | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PTLMG
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 36243

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PTLMG   Email PTLMG   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Canon 5d with a 70-300 is L lens and a 34-105 IS L lens. Awesome pics
Posts: 101 | From: TX | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stringstretcher
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5349

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stringstretcher   Author's Homepage   Email stringstretcher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am just getting into the DSLR camera's and purchased a Nikon D7000. It is way more camera than I will ever learn to use, and not sure it was a good choice for my first camera.

--------------------
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me [some] venison

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Posts: 2728 | From: virginia | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
swampthing
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 18442

Icon 1 posted      Profile for swampthing   Email swampthing   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You'll be fine. Go to kenrockwell.com and click on camera reviews, go to nikon cameras, and look at the d7000 "user guide." With the U1 and U2 dial modes this allows you instant changeable modes for people and things.
Posts: 1044 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Chappell
2017 Contributor
Member # 11677

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Chappell   Email Steve Chappell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was told in hunting you do not want to cut corners on boots or optics and I prescribe to that. With cameras, as Jay shared above, lenses make a big difference. My first lens actually cost $600 more than my D7000 camera body. I refused to buy one of the package deals because they always pair the camera with a lower quality lens…not bad lenses. Be careful and protect your valuables when in use and not in use, they are expense to repair or replace! I’d suggest taking classes. There are also DVDs that go over in detail all the components of the Nikon D7000. I found it all super confusing at first but as I combined classes with the DVD I became acquainted enough with the camera to us it and play around with it and that is when things really came together. There is still a lot for me to learn with the D7000 but I’d rather have a camera I know I can still grow with than one I have maxed out or grown out of. Keep at it with your D7000 you’ll be glad you did! The only downfall with the lens I use is most of the time is its weight. I refused to take the camera and lens up over the mountain to trout fish at a remote lake when out west Elk hunting this fall…opting for my point and shoot feather weight camera…which as Jay also pointed out takes great pictures too.

--------------------
Huntfun!
Compton Life member
Michigan Longbow Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers

Posts: 527 | From: Williamston, Michigan | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stickbowhntr
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stickbowhntr   Email stickbowhntr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
vey nice
Posts: 327 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tmccall
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 7399

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tmccall   Email tmccall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nikon D7000

I used to shoot a Nikon D80.

Before that a Canon 10D

Each was a great camera.

I am a firm believer that the best camera is the one that you have... [Big Grin]

--------------------
Tony McCall

Jesus. There is no other name... Acts 4:12

Posts: 1490 | From: Northeast Arkansas | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stickbowhntr
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stickbowhntr   Email stickbowhntr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I need to replace a Canon XTi ...a 12.1 MP one with maybe another one with the ? whats it called rear view, not thru the eyepiece, wife hate them, any suggetions on NEW canons?
Posts: 327 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SELFBOW19953
Contributor 2016
Member # 297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SELFBOW19953   Email SELFBOW19953   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like my Sony Alpha 100.

--------------------
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow." Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Posts: 2498 | From: DELAWARE | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©