JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » Photography/Video Q&A Forum » What Digital SLR Camera do you like (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: What Digital SLR Camera do you like
stringstretcher
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5349

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stringstretcher   Author's Homepage   Email stringstretcher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have my Nikon D7000 up for sale right now. You will get a good deal, on the newest out there right now.

--------------------
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me [some] venison

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Posts: 2728 | From: virginia | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Lyon
Charter Member - Contributor 2017
Member # 35

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Lyon   Email Ray Lyon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been very pleased with my Olympus OM-D EM5 micro four thirds (mirrorless technology) camera. The owner of the local camera shop said he was using it more than his $3,000 Nikon set-up because it's automatic mode was spot on so often. It's waterproof and about 2/3 the size of a regular SLR.

I've taken three classes at our community college (3 hour evening courses) and that has also helped immensely, but wow, what a huge amount of information and a lot to practice with to put it all together. As mentioned above, if you're going to dive into the new technology, it's best to set aside some time to take classes as well.

--------------------
Shrewhaven Lodge co-chef

Posts: 4336 | From: Traverse City, MI | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lechwe
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 4214

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lechwe   Email Lechwe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just picked up a Nikon D7100. Really like it so far. Huge learning curve but WOW!!!! does it take nice pictures.
Posts: 567 | From: Holt, Michigan | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanto
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 37034

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanto   Email Fanto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
+1 for Olympus mirror less system cameras, om-d is the best, I got the ep3 before the omd came out. Love it!

Dslr will give better low light performance however

Posts: 252 | From: Australia | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Weasel
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 843

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Weasel   Author's Homepage   Email Weasel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Canon 5D MkIII and several "L" lenses. I love that camera, but it's a bit heavy to carry bowhunting (though I'll probably do just that on my mule deer hunt this fall).

I used a Canon G1X compact on my caribou hunt with T.J. last fall. All of the photos published with my caribou hunt article in TBM, the cover, and the cover a couple issues back (silhouette on red wall) were taken with that camera. I have two 16"x24" canvas prints on the wall from that hunt. The image sensor is only slightly smaller than the sensor in the 7D, but the low light, low noise capabilities are better. I know. I had a 7D and sold it because I wasn't happy with the amount of noise in the images above ISO 640.

At $699 it is a pricey compact, but worth every penny. It was always in my pocket ready for action instead of buried in my pack. A small dry-bag kept it safe. Highly recommend it unless you are wanting to do wildlife photography as the zoom is only equivalent to about a 28mm-105mm. Wish it went to 24mm, but 28mm works.

Jerry

--------------------
I have a free roaming, ranging mind -- sometimes it reports back to me...
---------------------------

Posts: 1208 | From: Eugene, OR | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracks
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 20019

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracks   Email Tracks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was into photography 10 years ago, using SLRs and slide film. When I finally switched to digital, I went with a point and shoot because I was tired of carrying around so much camera gear. It felt like photography was "taking over" my other hobbies.

While using the point and shoot, I missed the control and the picture quality of the SLR format, but it was nice to travel light.

I just got a Panasonic G3 mirrorless camera this spring and I have been enjoying it. It is just small enough to throw in my daypack without a second thought and big enough to have a lot of control features, 16 megapixels, and interchangeable lenses. And for only $350 for the body and one lens, it is way more "disposable" than a fancy SLR (which is good for me since I work around water). It also shoots HD video which has been fun to play with.

Sorry to bring the thread a little off topic, but mirrorless cameras are relatively new and I thought you guys might be interested to hear another firsthand review.

Here is a sample pic from yesterday's mountain goat scouting trip:
[IMG]  -
[/IMG]

Posts: 130 | From: 60 N, 145 W | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Lyon
Charter Member - Contributor 2017
Member # 35

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Lyon   Email Ray Lyon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a couple from my Olympus OMD E-5 mirrorless camera. It's about 2/3 the size of a regular 35mm. Close up shot and Taquamenon Falls in Michigan's Upper Peninsula on a cloudy winter day.

[IMG]  - [/IMG]

[IMG]  - [/IMG]

--------------------
Shrewhaven Lodge co-chef

Posts: 4336 | From: Traverse City, MI | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BDann
Contributor 2017
Member # 9875

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BDann   Email BDann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just bought and Canon T5i with the 18-135 lens, and it is fantastic. It's probably too much to carry out hunting, in fact I know it is. I take a Canon G9 with me hunting, and it takes great photos. I've used it on a several shots that were used for magazine covers, and it's simple to use.
Posts: 1183 | From: Kingwood, Texas | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bongos
Member # 35339

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bongos   Email Bongos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Canon is a lot user friendly then Nikon, this is what I found when I was at your stage, eventually I went from a 20D, to a 40D, to a 50D, a 5D, then a 7D, now a 5D MKIII.. they also hold their value pretty well

--------------------
Hummingbird Kingfisher 48# 62"
Black Widow PSA X 53# 60"
Mon River mongoose 48# 64"
Toelke Whip Classic 48# 64"
Abbott Longbow 47# 58"
Win Win x 2

Posts: 72 | From: CA | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GANGGREEN
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 20932

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GANGGREEN   Email GANGGREEN   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a Canon 30D for sale now. I also have a couple of lenses, bag, tripod, filters, speedlight, etc. etc. if someone was looking for a really all encompassing starter package.

--------------------
Northwind Sage 60" 52#
Shakespeare Kaibab 58" 45#
Shakespeare X-26 55" 40#
Bear Grizzly 58" 50#

Posts: 133 | From: Potter County, PA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bowhntineverythingnh03743
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 31365

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bowhntineverythingnh03743   Email bowhntineverythingnh03743   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am super excited to start filming my hunts. I just picked up a Canon 60D that seemed to fit me perfectly. I have two lenses to go with it. A Canon 18-135mm IS lens and a 75-300mm lens. I am waiting on my manfrotto tripod and fluid head so that I can start filming hunts. I just need to pick up a decent shotgun mic and I will be in business. I want to go for the Solo Hunter TV look. I also have three Go Pro cameras to add a few different angles.

Can't wait for the weather to warm up... Gonna try my first star time lapse here soon.

Posts: 1204 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steelman
Member # 40673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steelman   Email Steelman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ray Lyon:
Here's a couple from my Olympus OMD E-5 mirrorless camera. It's about 2/3 the size of a regular 35mm. Close up shot and Taquamenon Falls in Michigan's Upper Peninsula on a cloudy winter day.

[IMG]  - [/IMG]

[IMG]  - [/IMG]

I agree on the Olympus OMD E5. I'm a big fan of the micro four thirds systems. Panasonic also makes some good Micro four thirds cameras. In my opinion they are made better than the consumer grade Canon and Nikon, I've owned both and still have a Canon system. I very seldom use the Canon any more these days. The OMD E5 is smaller, the lenes are smaller, the image quialty is just as good. The last generation of Olympus Micro Four Third Cameras can be had for a song. Cameras like, the EP-2, EP-3, EPL2. All are great cameras you can get cheap. Just a want to be Photographer's opion. Your milage may vary.
Posts: 63 | From: Alabama | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KentuckyTJ
SPONSOR
Member # 12840

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KentuckyTJ   Author's Homepage   Email KentuckyTJ   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had Olympus', Nikon and Canon DSLR's. I like the way my Canon collects color and its settings are the easiest for me to navigate. With that said don't worry as much about the camera body as you do the lens's. If money is an issue get a low priced body and spend as much as you can on the glass. Great lens' are what make great photos.

Also take into consideration that computer monitors are very different. A low priced, uncalibrated monitor won't give you the quality photo any of these cameras will produce. These photos look fantastic on my Apple monitors and look dark on my packaged PC monitor.

Canon T3i

-

-

-

-

--------------------
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it >>>---->

Posts: 9054 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©