JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION FORUMS

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » Photography/Video Q&A Forum » Video Camera for Back Pack Recommendations

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Video Camera for Back Pack Recommendations
rlc1959
2017 Contributor
Member # 21261

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rlc1959   Author's Homepage   Email rlc1959   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is the latest small video Camera that could be kept in a Back pack while hunting. I have an older model mini DV model that the view finder
is very cloudy. I was considering a new purchase.

Thanks, Randy Chamberlin

--------------------
Randy Chamberlin

NRA Life Member
Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member
United Bowhunters of PA Life Member
PBS Member

Posts: 826 | From: Shippensburg, PA | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bansheewins
Contributor 2013
Member # 23433

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bansheewins   Author's Homepage   Email bansheewins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That really depends on the amount of money you want to spend but an all around great HD camera would be to get yourself a Go-Pro. I have one I use as a second camera but they have incredible HD quality. the downfall with this is that it is not great in low light situations.

--------------------
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach that man to fish and he will eat for a life time"

Posts: 437 | From: OHIO | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rlc1959
2017 Contributor
Member # 21261

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rlc1959   Author's Homepage   Email rlc1959   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the info . I will check them out.

--------------------
Randy Chamberlin

NRA Life Member
PBS Member

Posts: 826 | From: Shippensburg, PA | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SilentArcher
Member # 15400

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SilentArcher   Email SilentArcher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use a Canon XA10 with Canon's wide angle lens on a 3rd arm tree mount. My whole setup fits neatly into a Maxpedition Sitka Gearslinger that allows me to pack in lightly setup and film within 10 minutes. The XA10 will shoot 18 hours of high def footage on 64gb internal and 128gb external SD cards. It has a good built in mic but it also has two XLR outputs for a mounted shotgun mic and or an external wireless mic like a Sennheiser mic system.
Posts: 14 | From: Oklahoma City | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rlc1959
2017 Contributor
Member # 21261

Thank you. i am still looking around.

--------------------
Randy Chamberlin

NRA Life Member
PBS Member

ABDULLAH
Contributor 2013
Member # 19408

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ABDULLAH   Email ABDULLAH   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I shot all three of these w a Kodak Playsport.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yfgq4qF3wc4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0ve3H5ltmU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEqXELny2HM

and numerous more on my channel.

--------------------
Live your dreams, Don't just chase them!

Posts: 21 | From: Georgia | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mark land
Contributor 2008
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mark land   Author's Homepage   Email mark land   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For the money it is hard to beat the JVC Everio line of cams, very small and light weight, use SD card and/or hard drive options and take exceptional video and many models are under $300 and will fit in your cargo pants pocket!
Posts: 962 | From: Cartersville, GA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coaster500
Contributor 2015
Member # 19836

Icon 1 posted      Profile for coaster500   Email coaster500   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got a GroPro3 Black from the wife for Christmas. I'm still figuring out how to use it but it's tiny and has a remote control with wifi built in. It also works with my Droid so I can see and change settings better than the digital readout on the camera. That's a really big deal with these old eyes. They other thing I like is the wide area it covers. I'll be trying it out soon on a hog hunt.
It's also suposed to be very good in low light and has settings that will work well for slow motion shots.

--------------------
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Posts: 4773 | From: San Luis Obispo, California | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blue Falcon
Member # 37658

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Falcon   Email Blue Falcon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
+1 for the Kodak playsport. They are compact, cheap and shoot excellent video.
Posts: 54 | From: tx | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry Russell
Sponsor
Member # 2613

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry Russell   Author's Homepage   Email Jerry Russell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been filming hunts for 25 years. For my knock around camera I love the playsport and I have one that stays mounted on my bow. Like the Gopro it has poor low light performance but a much better zoom.

When I am seriously filming a hunt, I go to the Sony HDR-160. It has the Exmor backlit processor and is superior to any camera I have ever used in low light. I can film with this camera a full 20 minutes or so before and after my other cameras in low light situations. It is a tiny thing also and ran me about $400.00. It can now be had for less than $250.00 and is a steal at this price. The HD picture quality is unreal. They have a less expensive model that still uses the backlit processor.

If you want to see the picture quality, take a look at this video but set the quality at the HD setting in Youtube. The closeup shots on the "other" animals in the video such as the squirrels and hares really shows what this camera can do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=WtSNPp498o4

--------------------
Guided hunts for Canada Bear and Georgia Bear,Turkey, Hogs, Alligator, Deer and African Plains Game. We specialize in traditional archery hunts.
Visit us at:
http://www.russelloutdoorguides.com

Posts: 1019 | From: Georgia/Quebec | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©