JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » Photography/Video Q&A Forum » Camera options (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Camera options
MnFn
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 15341

Icon 3 posted      Profile for MnFn   Email MnFn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like I need a new camera for my fall hunts. I am backpacking, so size is a consideration. I'd like to stay under $300 or so. Anybody have any good recommendations?

Thanks,
G

--------------------
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella" Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Posts: 2042 | From: North Dakota | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VictoryHunter
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 37511

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VictoryHunter   Email VictoryHunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I picked up a Panasonic Lumix LX7 and it is incredible. It has a super fast lens for low light situations. It is made for Leica but then they re-brand it for themselves and sell it cheaper. It also takes great video with auto focus and zoom.

--------------------
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Posts: 2152 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
habujohn
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5713

Icon 1 posted      Profile for habujohn   Email habujohn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Panasonic fz 200 is an incredible camera/lens. With a 2.8 F stop from 28mm to 600mm in a Ziess lens. Shots HD movies including slow motion. BB turned me on to this camera and I cannot be happier.
John

--------------------
habujohn

Posts: 600 | From: Kingsford Michigan | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LB_hntr
SPONSOR
Member # 6015

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LB_hntr   Author's Homepage   Email LB_hntr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are gonna get alot of recommendations. As a pro photog for last 17 years I will add these tips for you to think about with your purchase choice.
1: with compact cameras price does not always mean better and cheesy features are just that....worthless cheesy features.
2: setting manipulation is vitality important. You need to be able to shoot in auto (if you still need auto), aperture mode (this let's you control the aperture and the camera matches the shutter speed....99% of outdoor daytime shots will be in this mode), exposure control ( this let's you shift the exposure brighter or darker and is super important for black bear pics, bright background pics, etc), and I like having flash exposure shift as well (this let's you control the light output for shots that need flash).
3: video mode is great to have
4: has to run on aa or AAA batteries if possible that way easy to have spares and can run litiums for winter.
5. Has to have white balance adjustment.
6: a self timer and tripod socket.

Best compact camera for the money is the canon sx160....cost is 150 bucks and I promise you will be used pressed to get anything better without going over 400 or getting into DSLR cameras.
I have been using canon sx models since their sx120 model years ago and have about 5 sx cameras spread around in packs and around the house. Even as a pro with 40k worth of camera gear that canon sx goes with me everywhere.

--------------------
Traditional Bowhunting Podcast

Posts: 1161 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MnFn
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 15341

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MnFn   Email MnFn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks to all for the replies they were very helpful.

LB, I appreciated the specifics you listed.
G

--------------------
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella" Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Posts: 2042 | From: North Dakota | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DanielB89
SPONSOR
Member # 37294

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DanielB89   Email DanielB89   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LB, in your post, are you referring to a point and shoot camera or a recorder?

--------------------
Pride goes before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall.It is better to be of a lowly spirit with the poor than to divide the spoil with the proud. ~ Proverbs 16:18-19

Hunter's Choice Bowstrings

Black Eagle Arrow Dealer

Posts: 2997 | From: Monroe, Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LB_hntr
SPONSOR
Member # 6015

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LB_hntr   Author's Homepage   Email LB_hntr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DanielB89, a point and shoot digital camera. But most of them today shoot video as well.

--------------------

Posts: 1161 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DanielB89
SPONSOR
Member # 37294

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DanielB89   Email DanielB89   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh ok, do you have a recommendation on a low priced video camera? to use for filming the hunt itself?

ever heard/used a canon sx40? I bought my wife one for her anniversary and it seems to be pretty good, but i've not tried to film with it in low light scenarios yet..

--------------------
Pride goes before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall.It is better to be of a lowly spirit with the poor than to divide the spoil with the proud. ~ Proverbs 16:18-19

Black Eagle Arrow Dealer

Posts: 2997 | From: Monroe, Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LB_hntr
SPONSOR
Member # 6015

DanielB89, The sx40 is a great camera, for hunting i like the sx160 better as its more compact and still a great full function camera.
I dont know enough about the new video cameras to give an opinion on them.

--------------------

DanielB89
SPONSOR
Member # 37294

Lb, so do you film with the sx160 or just take snap shots?

--------------------

Black Eagle Arrow Dealer

LB_hntr
SPONSOR
Member # 6015

i use it for both. mainly as a still shot camera, but i do shot video as well here and there. I buy it as a still shot camera but its nice to know you can do video if you want to. the video is good but if you are planing to actually video alot of stuff id buy a video camera as well as the sx160 for stills.

--------------------

DanielB89
SPONSOR
Member # 37294

LB, what would be a camera worth buying but doesn't break the bank for filming?

I already have the canon SX40 for picture taking and seeing as it was about 300, i'll have to use what I have! lol. (poor man problems)

I was wondering if it would be ahigh enough quality recorder for me to record a hunt this year with it.

--------------------

Black Eagle Arrow Dealer

LB_hntr
SPONSOR
Member # 6015

DanielB89, If you are just recording the hunts for your own use anything will work great. If you are going to try and sell the footage or make huiting videos you will need more. Again i dont knwo much about video anymore. Last time i was serious about video was when they actually recorder to tape. All the new high tech models and options i dont know anything about.

--------------------

DanielB89
SPONSOR
Member # 37294

thanks LB, you have been a good help!

Daniel

--------------------

Black Eagle Arrow Dealer

Flying Dutchman
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 22361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Flying Dutchman   Email Flying Dutchman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Casio Exilim EX-ZR100 Highspeed-Digitalkamera, 12 Megapixel, 12,5- times opt. Zoom, 3 inches display, anti shake

This is a great little camera which wont break the bank. It has all the options you could ask for, very easy to operate, lots of settings, astonishing pictures and video's and small.

I can honestly recommend this camera! I bought a factor 10, 64 gb sd card with it, which operates fast enough and gives you enough memory for videos.

--------------------
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [Roll Eyes]
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Posts: 2121 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©