JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION FORUMS

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » State Trad Bowhunting Orgs » MARYLAND - Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland » Public Land Stumping question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Public Land Stumping question
mbugland
Member # 34851

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mbugland   Email mbugland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, questionable end to what would have been a great afternoon. Took the two boys out stump shooting this afternoon at patapsco state park, one of the areas that is open for deer with a managed Hunt tag during season, and closer the rest of the year.
8yr old had a blast, 16yr old had an awesome time for his first time shooting a bow, and stumping has him addicted. He did awesome.....
Got back to the truck and had a note :
"just a friendly note.
Carrying a bow during closed season could be considered poaching.
Target shooting on Public Land is Illegal!"

What's deal Maryland? I am seriously lost on this one... I am an active duty army guy, I guess my understanding of public land is different where income from.
Can someone help me out here... What's the rules where do you stump shoot?
Greatly appreciate the insight from any that can provide it

--------------------
Shootz!

Posts: 97 | From: MT~Active Duty in MD | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Mongelli
Contributor 2016
Member # 27064

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Mongelli   Email Mike Mongelli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You need to find some public areas that are unrestricted so you can "hunt groundhogs" [archer]
Posts: 218 | From: Middletown, MD | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
two4hooking
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 12822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for two4hooking   Author's Homepage   Email two4hooking   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those groundhogs really like to sit behind rotten stumps....seems I'm always hitting them when out groundhog hunting.

--------------------
HILL STYLE
>>>--------->

Posts: 879 | From: Frederick, MD | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SKITCH
Contributor 2014
Member # 36382

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SKITCH   Email SKITCH   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who was the note from?? I'd check with the authorities to get the proper info. You may just have to have a hunting license in your pocket or ?? I checked in Oklahoma and that's what I was told....plus there was no season on hogs so you could always be "hunting". I would just go talk to the guys that can give you the real answers.

--------------------
"A nation with little regard for it's past will do nothing in the future to be remembered"
Lincoln

Posts: 1012 | From: Puyallup, WA | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sika_junkie
Member # 45919

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sika_junkie   Email Sika_junkie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, MD can be somewhat restrictive about hunting laws if I read the refs correctly. If there is no open season when you are carrying a weapon on public lands and don't have the appropriate hunting license it can be considered poaching.

There is no way for the DNR to verify that a person isn't really trying to kill a deer while stump shooting.

My advice is look for public lands that have a liberal squirrel season and get your hunting licenses.

Shooting squirrels as a bonus while stumping will give some great pressure shooting opportunities and maybe even give you a good meal. They are delicious Lohengrin prepared correctly.

MD does have a lot of multiuse public lands hope this helps.

Mike

--------------------
1960's Bear Cub 60" 45#
1974 Damon Howatt Super Diablo 60" 52#
Abowyer and Grizzly Kodiak broadheads.
Gold tip arrows and Selway quivers.

Posts: 1 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jan 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©