JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION FORUMS

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » State Trad Bowhunting Orgs » WISCONSIN - Wisconsin Traditional Archers » changes in deer tags

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: changes in deer tags
ChuckC
Contributor 2013
Member # 1813

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChuckC   Email ChuckC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I bought my Conservation Patron license so I could grab a leftover turkey tag (s).

There are huge changes in deer tags this year. Make sure to read up on it.

Example, I got buck tags, I got two doe tags, but they are ONLY for the lower (new cropland) units in the state, NOT for the upper forest regions. At this time, they were not certain that there will be any antlerless tags for the northern regions this year, and in any case, I would have to buy them separately from the looks of it.

They also changed the goose areas taking away from the west side of the Horicon zone and making it exterior zone. Works for me, I can still launch arrows at them where I hunt.

ChuckC

Posts: 7204 | From: Deforest, Wisconsin | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greg Szalewski
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 14564

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg Szalewski   Email Greg Szalewski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I just got mine today and the deer tags have changed. Now there is just "farmland antlerless tags" and one "bow" tag. This covers stick bows, wheel bows and xbows. Xbows are included with the Patrons license.

--------------------
PBS Regular, Ask me about The Professional Bowhunters Society; we stand for ethics.
Past President, Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Life member, Wisconsin Bowhunters
Sherwood Forest
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Posts: 1174 | From: Menomonee Falls, WI | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChuckC
Contributor 2013
Member # 1813

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChuckC   Email ChuckC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I understand it, there will no longer be cwd FREE tags, not sure I understand if there will be a CWD area and a different hunt structure there or not. You can supposedly use last years buck sticker this year and you can get one new one this year. It may or may not be good the following year.

And, yeah Greg, it is Farmland, not cropland areas, oops.

Yup, we need to read the regs really good this year.

CHuckC

Posts: 7204 | From: Deforest, Wisconsin | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChuckC
Contributor 2013
Member # 1813

maybe bring this back up top since the regs actually came out.

BIG changes this year.

I wonder, though, how they are going to enforce the reg's, especially the use of private vs public tags. I see a lot of room for abuse, by stepping across a line in the dirt.

The entire Black River Falls area is now considered central forest and there will be no doe tags. That is (or was) a very heavily hunted area of the state and a lot of folks are gonna be disappointed. Also, what do you think of the disparity between public and private tags ?

any thoughts ?
ChuckC

Gottabow
Contributor 2014
Member # 377

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gottabow   Email Gottabow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I for one am not gonna purchase anymore hunting licence. .I am done. .going fishing. .
Posts: 1194 | From: Menomonie Wi | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greg Szalewski
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 14564

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg Szalewski   Email Greg Szalewski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The new system should make for better management. We will see. I give them credit for changing their ways and now listening to the hunters now.

Bonus tags are now on sale.

--------------------
PBS Regular, Ask me about The Professional Bowhunters Society; we stand for ethics.
Past President, Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Life member, Wisconsin Bowhunters
Sherwood Forest
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Posts: 1174 | From: Menomonee Falls, WI | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChuckC
Contributor 2013
Member # 1813

So here we are, the eve of the new era.

I hunt in the former CDW area. Does anybody have the answer to this. I have a buck tag / sticker from last year. Does that make ANY doe tag a buck tag ?

ChuckC

Kevin Winkler
2017 Contributor
Member # 15949

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevin Winkler   Email Kevin Winkler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was told and shown in the regulations this week that you have to put those stickers on a $12.00 bonus anterless tag for them to be valid.

--------------------
PBS Associate, Ask me about The Professional Bowhunters Society; we stand for ethics.
Membership Chairmen, WI Traditional Archers
Life Member, WI Bowhunters Association
Compton Traditional Archers

Posts: 996 | From: Monroe, WI | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChuckC
Contributor 2013
Member # 1813

seriously !

Geez

Well, I have enough tags for now. I don't need to kill a ton of deer, just hunt for a ton of deer.
ChuckC

ChuckC
Contributor 2013
Member # 1813

Kevin, where does it say that in the reg's ?

What I see doesn't say exactly that. I am so confused.
ChuckC

Kevin Winkler
2017 Contributor
Member # 15949

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevin Winkler   Email Kevin Winkler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chuck,

I got the inside scoop from the warden last night at the local meeting for our county for setting the deer numbers for the next 3yrs.

He said that what I was told was wrong [Eek!]
Your buck tag stickers can be used on the tags that you got with your license. But the bucks tags must be used this year.

I would encourage everyone to go to your local meetings, everyone appears to be willing to forget the past and move on with our deer herd management. They are hoping that more landowners and concerned sportsman will help them out with input for herd numbers. They will no longer be doing deer counts and surveys as in the past, they are depending on us to help them get the population numbers they need to accomplish there job.

--------------------
PBS Associate, Ask me about The Professional Bowhunters Society; we stand for ethics.
Membership Chairmen, WI Traditional Archers
Life Member, WI Bowhunters Association
Compton Traditional Archers

Posts: 996 | From: Monroe, WI | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChuckC
Contributor 2013
Member # 1813

Awesome. Thanks Kevin. Now. . I gotta find my last year back tag ( the one with the buck sticker in it).

ChuckC

ChuckC
Contributor 2013
Member # 1813

So, has anybody heard of any changes in store for 2015 yet ?

Thanks
ChuckC

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©