JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION FORUMS

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » State Trad Bowhunting Orgs » WISCONSIN - Wisconsin Traditional Archers » Crying wolf (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Crying wolf
ChuckC
Contributor 2013
Member # 1813

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChuckC   Email ChuckC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I drew a wolf tag (Wisconsin) this year. Having never chased one of them critters, in fact, having never actually SEEN one in the wild, any and all help, guidance and pointers will be very much appreciated.

Thanks

ChuckC

Posts: 7256 | From: Deforest, Wisconsin | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cyclic-Rivers
Contributor 2017
Member # 21222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cyclic-Rivers   Email Cyclic-Rivers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good Luck Chuck. From What I have heard there are quite a few to go around, of course that's just hear say.

--------------------
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Mohawk Hudson Traditional Archers
NY Bowhunters

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Posts: 16909 | From: Central Wisconsin | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChuckC
Contributor 2013
Member # 1813

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChuckC   Email ChuckC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you Charlie. I will give er hell !
ChuckC

Posts: 7256 | From: Deforest, Wisconsin | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kevin Winkler
2017 Contributor
Member # 15949

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevin Winkler   Email Kevin Winkler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chuck,

When I bear hunted last year around Drummond the guy that baited for me had a lot of wolf sightings. We had pictures of them coming into baits quite often, he had some guys that planned on sitting in those areas last year. If you need his phone number just let me know.

--------------------
PBS Associate, Ask me about The Professional Bowhunters Society; we stand for ethics.
Membership Chairmen, WI Traditional Archers
Life Member, WI Bowhunters Association
Compton Traditional Archers

Posts: 997 | From: Monroe, WI | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChuckC
Contributor 2013
Member # 1813

Thanks Kevin. let's see where this goes. I am gonna start the scouting trail shortly. I want a wolf !

Would it be in poor taste to have a wolf, if I am so lucky as to actually harvest one, full body mounted ?
CHuckC

Kevin Winkler
2017 Contributor
Member # 15949

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevin Winkler   Email Kevin Winkler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would imagine that a full body mount would set you back a few nickels, but what the heck! What else do you have to spend your money on.

Good luck chasing your wolf.

--------------------
PBS Associate, Ask me about The Professional Bowhunters Society; we stand for ethics.
Membership Chairmen, WI Traditional Archers
Life Member, WI Bowhunters Association
Compton Traditional Archers

Posts: 997 | From: Monroe, WI | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cyclic-Rivers
Contributor 2017
Member # 21222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cyclic-Rivers   Email Cyclic-Rivers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The largest issue with Full body mounts aside from expense is a place to keep it.

Best of Luck Chuck, I hope you have such a conundrum on your hands. seems to be a good problem to have.

--------------------
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Mohawk Hudson Traditional Archers
NY Bowhunters

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Posts: 16909 | From: Central Wisconsin | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doubleo
Contributor 2016
Member # 12581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doubleo   Email doubleo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck to you Chuck! I hope you try with a trad. bow! But, that's entirely up to you. [thumbsup]

--------------------
Wisconsin Traditional Archers Member

Posts: 1467 | From: Plymouth,Wi. | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChuckC
Contributor 2013
Member # 1813

Thanks Guys. I was kinda hoping someone would agree to tie one up for me the day before season so I could "find it" opening day ! [dunno] [nono] OK, not really.

It is the journey, not the destination that makes us really live.
ChuckC

don kauss
Contributor 2015
Member # 15205

Icon 1 posted      Profile for don kauss   Email don kauss   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck Chuck...

I just saw a Wolf rug mount in Alaska, and it was stunningly beautiful...

--------------------
Your Chicken from McDonald's, Tyson Foods, or Perdue Farms spent most of it's life stuffed in a cage with three or four others, occupying a space about the size of a book page...None for me, thanks...

Posts: 1019 | From: Loganville, Wisconsin | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dfudala
Member # 41588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dfudala   Author's Homepage   Email Dfudala   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Chuck, my name is Dave. I'm a new member of the WTA. Just thought I'd mention that I live in the Minocqua area and know several places to get you close to wolves, if you're interested? I've already seen two this past week while out bowhunting. Let me know, I'd be happy to help!
Posts: 7 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChuckC
Contributor 2013
Member # 1813

Dave

I just may be calling on you before season ! I am going to be scouting the southern areas first, starting in about a week. Then progress up north.

I am not totally set on using a longbow, but If I can do it, I will. I never wolf hunted so I really don't know if I will need to reach out or if i can maybe get close to one. Would much rather get close.

Thank you for that offer
ChuckC

Dfudala
Member # 41588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dfudala   Author's Homepage   Email Dfudala   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not a problem Chuck. I'll keep some cameras going and try to keep tabs on them in case you need to head this way. My family owns a resort so as long as you give me enough notice, I should be able to put you up in one of our cottages which will help keep your expenses down.
Posts: 7 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChuckC
Contributor 2013
Member # 1813

wow, incredible offer, thank you

How close can you get to the wolves ? Is this over bear bait or trails or what ? 15 yards ?

Thanks
ChuckC

Dfudala
Member # 41588

No these haven't been over bear baits. What I believe is happening is the past 2 winters really knocked the deer populations down in the bigger woods where the wolves held their strongholds. The deer densities noticibly increase as I hunt woods closer to towns and the wolves seem to be following them. As far as how close we've been, my girlfriend had one trot by her at about 25 yards and 2 days later in a completely different area, I watched one cruise a clearcut edge at about 40 yards. My recommendation would be to dedicate enough time to this to at least try get one with the trad gear and have a rifle option available. I'm betting that some fawn distress calling may make for some memorable experiences!
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©