JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION FORUMS

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » State Trad Bowhunting Orgs » WISCONSIN - Wisconsin Traditional Archers » Crying wolf (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Crying wolf
ChuckC
Contributor 2013
Member # 1813

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChuckC   Email ChuckC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, now I am getting excited.
CHuckC

Posts: 7241 | From: Deforest, Wisconsin | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greg Szalewski
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 14564

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg Szalewski   Email Greg Szalewski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All right Chuck, I can see it now. You are dressed like a jogger or use a little foo foo dog for bait and you take the first wolf in WI with a stick bow.

--------------------
PBS Regular, Ask me about The Professional Bowhunters Society; we stand for ethics.
Past President, Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Life member, Wisconsin Bowhunters
Sherwood Forest
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Posts: 1180 | From: Menomonee Falls, WI | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChuckC
Contributor 2013
Member # 1813

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChuckC   Email ChuckC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shhhh. you are giving away my secret. . the foo foo dog.

Now I am gonna have to pay more for one somewhere.

If I am so blessed to actually see and kill a wolf while hunting with a stick bow, you guys here will know about it, but there will be no book or article about any firsts etc. I have no desire for that tag.

ChuckC

Posts: 7241 | From: Deforest, Wisconsin | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BowHuntingFool
Contributor 2008
Member # 14899

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BowHuntingFool   Email BowHuntingFool   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That awesome Chuck, good luck brother!

--------------------
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Ojibwa Bowhunters

Posts: 3578 | From: S.E.Wisconsin/N.Michigan | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cyclic-Rivers
Contributor 2017
Member # 21222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cyclic-Rivers   Email Cyclic-Rivers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When is your Season Chuck? I am really hoping you see some!

--------------------
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Mohawk Hudson Traditional Archers
NY Bowhunters

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Posts: 16827 | From: Central Wisconsin | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChuckC
Contributor 2013
Member # 1813

The season starts mid October if I recall correctly, and runs till , like January, or until the quota is met, which will be well before January (historically).

Its too bad they start so soon cause the pelts can use another two months of winter to get more prime. I wonder why they don't allow for that ?
CHuckC

Dfudala
Member # 41588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dfudala   Author's Homepage   Email Dfudala   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Chuck,
If you do plan to head up my way, be sure to check with the DNR and confirm which zones the north central part of the state are and on average, about when those zones have reached their quotas. You don't want to wait too late into the season just to have a zone close on you.
Dave.

Posts: 7 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChuckC
Contributor 2013
Member # 1813

Thank you, Gonna start searching very soon. Pouring a foundation today, so its gonna be a little while anyways. Seen any recently ?

CHuck

Dfudala
Member # 41588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dfudala   Author's Homepage   Email Dfudala   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No. I'm in Phoenix on business this week. Heading home tomorrow. I hope to get out Monday or Tuesday for a bit then Wednesday I head to Denver. I'll keep you posted.
Posts: 7 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChuckC
Contributor 2013
Member # 1813

Thank You. Might have to drive up there within the next ten days and actually see what you are describing. Sure couldn't hurt . . I like it up there !

Thanks again for your help
Chuck

Dfudala
Member # 41588

Well, I got out for the day on Monday but nothing exciting to report. Saw one doe about mid morning and that was that for the day. Covered about 4 miles on the day and hardly saw any fresh sign. Next time I'm home I'll be heading back out where I had the wolf pass by me. I'll keep you posted. Give me a heads up if you're heading north so I can try to fudge my schedule around to be home.
ChuckC
Contributor 2013
Member # 1813

Well, let's keep talking. This week I am taken, but after that I can devote time to the hunt. I can run up there and take a look at the area almost any time now. I really appreciate your help up there.

ChuckC

Dfudala
Member # 41588

Its no trouble. You've got a great opportunity to pursue a very special creature there and possibly make some history along the way! I would be happy to help to make that possible for you. The odds are definitely not in your favor, but that's mainly what makes this so special. My knowledge of the areas I know they inhabit are unfortunately all I have to offer, but I don't want this to end up feeling like a "guided" hunt for you either. You should come out of this experience with a sense of self-satisfaction whether you're successful or not. Believe me, just seeing one, out in it's element is quite a moving experience! I will be home next Monday and Tuesday, then out of town the rest of the week into the following.
ChuckC
Contributor 2013
Member # 1813

Well, this went from excitement to a bitch session for me.

I went out on opening day and spent the entire day driving around the general area of Black River Forest, driving the back roads (mostly sand and gravel) looking for tracks, sign, stopping routinely to call and watch. It was a great day and I had a hell of a time. After dark,on the drive home, on hwy 90/94 (whichever it is just south of BRF) I actually saw a wolf in the median. No doubt what it was. For that I am thankful. My first wild wolf sighting. Kinda pumped.

Two days later the first area closed and by the end of the first weekend three areas were closed.

My bitch. . . I went into this thing wanting to hunt for a wolf, not race like hell to kill or trap one that, frankly, because the season starts so dang early could not possibly be in prime pelt condition.

The wolf season for 2014 is now closed. As I understand, more than 85% of the wolves taken this year went to trappers. Now, don't get me wrong, I have no ill against trapping, but I was pumped to hunt, to experience a close encounter, not set a trap.

I didn't go again, but I plan to make my voice heard, not that they will listen. I also will not participate any further in wolf tag donations. They meant well, but when it came down to it, I think they screwed the pooch (and a lot of us "hunters").

Just my humble opinion. Sorry for being a downer.

CHuckC

ChuckC
Contributor 2013
Member # 1813

I received ( and filled out) a very large survey regarding my wolf hunt. It appears, based upon the questions, that I was not alone in my assessment. I hope any future wolf hunts are altered to reflect some suggestions.

BTW, if you haven't already heard... the wolves were just recently re-listed due to yet another court case, so a season in 2015 is not a sure thing.
CHuckC

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©