JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION FORUMS

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » State Trad Bowhunting Orgs » WISCONSIN - Wisconsin Traditional Archers » Hunting WI this Fall (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Hunting WI this Fall
Cyclic-Rivers
Contributor 2017
Member # 21222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cyclic-Rivers   Email Cyclic-Rivers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just purchased plane tickets to Head home to hunt this Fall. I am quite excited. I will hunt the family Farm in Richland Center the second week of November.

I look forward to hunting with my Dad and brothers and maybe a buddy on his land in Central WI.

--------------------
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Mohawk Hudson Traditional Archers
NY Bowhunters

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Posts: 16827 | From: Central Wisconsin | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChuckC
Contributor 2013
Member # 1813

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChuckC   Email ChuckC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is gonna be great. Lots of changes for you. No more back tags. You don't have to tag your animal (unless you and it part ways for any time at all). No more check stations.

Also, and a bit more disconcerting, are the various tags etc and the split. Per county, per area type, private / public. A sort of nightmare, but it may turn out plenty OK.

Have fun, shoot straight. Are you coming home to stay yet ?
ChuckC

Posts: 7241 | From: Deforest, Wisconsin | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cyclic-Rivers
Contributor 2017
Member # 21222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cyclic-Rivers   Email Cyclic-Rivers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chuck,

I will not be staying after this trip. but I plan on doing some work to make our future rental house there livable. Also, need to put in a pasture for our horses.

My Parents bought a 76.6 acre farm in Rib Mountain. My wife and I will rent the house until they are ready to build their house out there.

I wonder how those tags would affect hunting on this new farm. It borders 4500 acres of public land (9 mile county Forest). Tough hunting in there but I was able to routinely get on deer when I was a kid.

My wife and I accepted an offer on our house 2 weeks ago. Closing on November 18th. We will find a place here to rent monthly until I can find work out in Wisconsin..

Once I am employed there, I will be making the move to stay. Right now the plan is to Bring the horses in the spring, but that may change depending on what happens with the farm where they are now.

While there in November, I will be hunting this new farm a little and going to the family Farm in the southern part of the state. Also, my younger brother just bought 40 acres north of Wausau and he has been itching for a hunt together there as well.

I just may end up with more places to hunt than time to do it. Terrible problem, I know [Wink]

--------------------
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
NY Bowhunters

Posts: 16827 | From: Central Wisconsin | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greg Szalewski
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 14564

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg Szalewski   Email Greg Szalewski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad to hear that you are closer to making it back to WI. I wish you well on the job search. As far all the hunting opportunities that should eliminate the excuse of over hunting any stands. ;^)

--------------------
PBS Regular, Ask me about The Professional Bowhunters Society; we stand for ethics.
Past President, Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Life member, Wisconsin Bowhunters
Sherwood Forest
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Posts: 1180 | From: Menomonee Falls, WI | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BowHuntingFool
Contributor 2008
Member # 14899

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BowHuntingFool   Email BowHuntingFool   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good stuff Charlie! Looking forward to finally meeting up at a shoot this year! Cheers!

--------------------
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Ojibwa Bowhunters

Posts: 3578 | From: S.E.Wisconsin/N.Michigan | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cyclic-Rivers
Contributor 2017
Member # 21222

Thanks Guys. I will definitely be looking for shooting buddies and seriously missing some good friends i have made shooting/hunting here in NY.

--------------------
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
NY Bowhunters

ChuckC
Contributor 2013
Member # 1813

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChuckC   Email ChuckC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Charlie, there are public land tags and private land tags (for does). I believe bucks are still statewide, so no problem there. In addition, each of the new areas has their own breakdown so, for example, I hunt Columbia and Marquette counties mostly. Public land always ( so far). I need a tag for Columbia county public and a tag for Marquette county public ( again, for does). If I owned my own property or hunted someone elses private property in those counties I would need additional tags for each of those scenarios. Yikes ! Be sure / be careful.
ChuckC

Posts: 7241 | From: Deforest, Wisconsin | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cyclic-Rivers
Contributor 2017
Member # 21222

That certainly makes things interesting. This season I will be hunting 3 different private lands. I will Have to see what is available for me and if I can only shoot a buck then.... so be it. Although I am coming for the hunting, it's not really for the hunting only.

--------------------
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
NY Bowhunters

mlsthmpsn
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 42269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mlsthmpsn   Email mlsthmpsn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In addition to those changes already mentioned, the DNR switched over to their "GoWild" card and online system, where you can purchase everything online, and print off your tags right then.

Make sure you bring some zip-lock bags and zip ties to aid in keeping these wonderful paper tags legible to any CO's you may see.

Here is the updated list for antlerless tag availability.

Best of luck this year.

--------------------
MT
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Save me, O God! For the waters have come up to my neck. - Psalm 69:1

Posts: 197 | From: Plymouth, WI | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cyclic-Rivers
Contributor 2017
Member # 21222

I will be there come morning.

--------------------
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
NY Bowhunters

knobby
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for knobby   Email knobby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck on your hunt, Charlie.
Posts: 1193 | From: Plymouth WI | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mlsthmpsn
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 42269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mlsthmpsn   Email mlsthmpsn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, any details? How was your trip?

--------------------
MT
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Save me, O God! For the waters have come up to my neck. - Psalm 69:1

Posts: 197 | From: Plymouth, WI | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cyclic-Rivers
Contributor 2017
Member # 21222

Sorry for the delay. As far as details.... I had some incredible rutting activity. Had several monster bucks at less than 7 yards. They wouldn't slow down and were on full tilt run. I got one to stop he stopped behind the only tree and caught me. When he moved forward a step I focused and released. As my brain said go, so did his. Broke my concentration resulting in a marginal hit.

Initially I thought I missed but I saw him stop at 80 yards then limp off away from where the hot doe went. I got down and inspected my arrow just before dark and couldn't see blood. I went back to the cabin with better light and could see a couple faint specs of blood.

Went back in the morning and sat in the stand. Had a 130 inch 8 point standing broadside at 20 yards but passed knowing I had some tracking to do.

Long story short, my brother came over to help. We spent 8 hours... Followed a blood trail that looked like someone walked with a glass pouring out blood for 600 yards. It stopped, we picked it back up again after 150 yards. Followed it another 150 yards before losing it for good. Did a very thorough grid search but came up empty. Watched for crows and buzzards. Listened for coyotes for several days as he lead us into the revive below our cabin. The only way out was up steep banks. A trail camera photo has him chasing a doe a few weeks later.

I had other chances at does and small bucks bit passed. I had a great time with my dad and brother which was the primary goal.

--------------------
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
NY Bowhunters

Cyclic-Rivers
Contributor 2017
Member # 21222

Sorry about long sentences and poor grammar. Typing on a phone is tough for my fat fingers.

--------------------
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
NY Bowhunters

ChuckC
Contributor 2013
Member # 1813

Glad you saw some nice deer. You still coming back to WI eventually ? Did you see we have a couple bunny hunts planned.
ChuckC

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©