JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » Recipes/Grilling/ Barbecuing/Smokers » Canning Deer Meat Pictures added (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Canning Deer Meat Pictures added
702plmo
Contributor 2007
Member # 9321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 702plmo   Email 702plmo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another option is add a pack of tace seasoning to the meat before the canning process. When you open the jar it is already seasoned and ready to warm up for a mexican dinner.

--------------------
No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1237 | From: Edinburgh Indiana (South Central) | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
357max
Member # 17109

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 357max     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can alot of my venison as well. I use the wet bath method, old fashioned canner with water over the jars. My recipe is with one bullion cube per qt., 1/4 tsp. pepper, fill jar with meat, add water to the neck, put on lids, process in canner for 4 hrs. You can make excellent gravy with the juice when you open the jar. serve over mashed potatoes. This can also be used to can small game. my kids love meat done this way!

--------------------
357max

Posts: 13 | From: ohio | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fingers
Member # 3099

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fingers   Email fingers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I grew up on canned venison. Pack 1 1/2" chunks into pint jars to within 1/2" from the top. I like to use the gristly meat from the fore legs and lower hind legs as well as any "scrap meat" especially anything with gristle as it "melts' in the process. Put 1/4 tsp of salt on top and then put into the pressure cooker. 2 different settings,, 15lbs pressure for 1 hour or 10lbs pressure for 75 min. Either way it is all good. Just make sure that the rims are clean and just lightly snug the lids so that the steam can escape. Then turn off the heat after the time allowed and let the cooker cool on it's own so that the pressure release allows you to open the canner when it is cool enough. Set the jars on a towel and after a while you will hear the "tink" as the jar seals. That's it! And trust me, it is GOOD STUFF! Any hunting camp that is lucky enough to have someone bring an adequate amount of canned venison will relate to what this recipe means. Hot beef(venison) and potatoes fried with onions. Burritos, barbecue, stew,,, TOO GOOD!
Posts: 96 | From: Stayton, Oregon | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fingers
Member # 3099

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fingers   Email fingers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Posts: 96 | From: Stayton, Oregon | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BBK41ND
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 10743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BBK41ND   Email BBK41ND   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use a pressure cooker and a bullion cube, with onion diced up in it.a real treat for all! It keeps years in fact me and the wife just had some from 3 years ago.Ive tried rabbit and squirrel also with the same results.Just be sure you use clean ,sound canning jars with new lids.A real treat right out of the jar or the juice in the jar makes excellent meat gravy over toast!!!

--------------------
the older I get ,the better I was

Posts: 205 | From: Alaska | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Izzy
Contributor 2016
Member # 10828

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Izzy   Email Izzy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im trying Traditional-Archers recipe today for the 1st time, minus the overnight soaking to see what happens Ill let you all know.
Izzy

Posts: 8503 | From: latham, new york | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darrel Jones
Member # 16158

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Darrel Jones   Email Darrel Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a question about frozen meat. I brought an antelope home this year but because it took so long to get home from Harding Co. due to the early season blizzard South Dakota had, I took the antelope to a processor. I usually cut it up myself. Can I thaw out the frozen trim meat and can it once it is completely thawed out?
Posts: 3 | From: South Dakota | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BigRonHuntAlot
Contributor 2007
Member # 8731

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BigRonHuntAlot   Email BigRonHuntAlot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Darrel, Yes you can and shouldnt be able to tell any difference either.

--------------------
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Posts: 4499 | From: Jetersville, Amelia County Central Virginia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
702plmo
Contributor 2007
Member # 9321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 702plmo   Email 702plmo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Darrel, I have done that before and like ron said you can not tell the difference. Also, I read somewhere that you should freeze your meat for 30 days to kill any bacteria that may be living in it.

While canning venison in pint jars this year I placed a 1 inch cube of jowell bacon in the jar with 1/4 TS of sea salt, 1/4 TS black pepper and 1/4 TS of garlic powder.

The bacon added flavor and the spice were just right.

--------------------
No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1237 | From: Edinburgh Indiana (South Central) | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unclewhit
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 18497

Icon 1 posted      Profile for unclewhit   Email unclewhit   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey guy's
Both of My brothers swear by this method, they both say that they'll never go back to freezing meat.
Just store the jars in the pantry and save the freezer space. When the jar is empty just wash it and store it away till next next season.

--------------------
unclewhit
Bob lee signature series
Schafer Silvertip
Howard Hill "Tembo"

Posts: 365 | From: central MA | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HATCHCHASER
Contributor 2010
Member # 13016

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HATCHCHASER   Author's Homepage   Email HATCHCHASER   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've done it this way without soaking the meat overnight and it is still good.

Put a can in the crockpot with a couple cans of cream of mushroom soup and serve over rice or noodles.

Get you a can of veg-all, v-8 juice and a can of meat and make soup. You might want to throw some cornbread in the oven for this.

Just heat it up on the wood burner and eat it with crackers and a cold one.

Man I'm gettin hungry! [jumper]

--------------------
It's not the arrival, it's the journey.

Posts: 1706 | From: Back in North GA FOREVER | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joseph
Contributor 2007
Member # 2732

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph   Email Joseph   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is the best thread I have read on here! Tried the canning thing and it is delicious!

--------------------
"Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often and for the same reason"

Posts: 1884 | From: Helena, Mt | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traditional-Archer
2017 Contributor
Member # 11251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Traditional-Archer   Email Traditional-Archer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Darrel Jones
Yes you can unthaw the meet and have no problems at all; our butcher told us when we asked the same question of him, we being my brother-in-law and myself. He said butchers freeze meet so it is easer to work with as they cut the meet up. Then they unthaw the meet to sell he said sometime the meet could be partially unthawed 3 or 4 time before sale. I hope we have answered your question.

Bruce [Smile]

--------------------
We are what we do repeatedly. Execellence is, therefore, not an act but a habit.

Artistole (384-322 B.C.)
Philosopher

Posts: 726 | From: Columbia,PA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Rig
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 11592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bent Rig   Email Bent Rig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it is not a safe practice what the first post stated as "canning' in a oven . An oven won't kill all the bad things and could promote Bochelism . Just thought I'd throw that out there so anyone that reads this thinks that it is considered a safe practice but it's not . Get on the web and you can find the proper (by pressure cooker)and only way to make sure whomever is eating the "canned" items are safe .

--------------------
Paul

Posts: 168 | From: New York | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traditional-Archer
2017 Contributor
Member # 11251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Traditional-Archer   Email Traditional-Archer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bent Rig, Thanks for the warning, I assure you I have talked to doctors and have talked to friends of mine that can both in a pressure cooker and in the oven both ways. They all say the same thing, as long as you get a proper seal on the lid, and no sign of air, lose lid or damaged lids keeping as much of the utensils clean as you go like I do, that is what keeps the bacteria from entering the jar. Pressure cooker or oven, meet the proper temp to do the job but I will again thank you for your concern. If you have some sort of training to back up what you say please fill us in, my kid’s lives depend on that, please feel free to call me and if what you say, is backed up by your experience and knowledge I will have this thread removed to save all our lives.
Bruce [readit] [Confused]

--------------------
We are what we do repeatedly. Execellence is, therefore, not an act but a habit.

Artistole (384-322 B.C.)
Philosopher

Posts: 726 | From: Columbia,PA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©