Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor
Visit the Sponsor Classifieds
Kustom King Traditional Archery

Click for the CLASSIFIEDS RULES

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » Recipes/Grilling/ Barbecuing/Smokers » Treager Anyone? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Treager Anyone?
SteveB
Contributor 2016
Member # 51

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveB   Email SteveB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I work for a dealler that sells pellet grills.
I tell everyone looking you have the ease and cost of a gas grill with the flavor of wood cooking. And no flare ups.

Posts: 1240 | From: Central NY | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BBK41ND
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 10743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BBK41ND   Email BBK41ND   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you also owe it to youreself to try homemade Canadian bacon! boneless backstrap brined in a cup of 50/50 tenderquick,brownsuger and a gallon or two of water.smoke and then finish the meat at internal temp of 175.

--------------------
the older I get ,the better I was

Posts: 205 | From: Alaska | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trad-Man
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 23849

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trad-Man   Email Trad-Man       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A friend of mine...Doctari (i think I spelled his handle correctly) has a treager and he talks about it non-stop. You would think he was having a love affair with it!
Posts: 283 | From: Illinois | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doctari
Contributor 2012
Member # 8709

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doctari   Email doctari   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok Brian, I have had mine more than a year now and do enjoy cooking on it. Best prime rib and Pizza's too. The best side to make is stuffed halopenos with cream chesse and wrapped in boars hog bacon. We call em atomic turds. Check out there website if you are interested. The costcos by me had them for a promotion and sold out in two days. Everything Taste better on a Treager. [thumbsup]

--------------------
"So long as the new moon returns in heavan a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold the hearts of men." Maurice Thompson The Witchery of Archery

Posts: 371 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Missing Impossible
2017 Contributor
Member # 17213

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Missing Impossible   Email Missing Impossible   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How many hours of smoking can you get from a bag of pellets?
Posts: 166 | From: Northern WV | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveB
Contributor 2016
Member # 51

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveB   Email SteveB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the lowest setting, 16 hrs or a little more. This is for 20 lb bags.
Posts: 1240 | From: Central NY | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trad-Man
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 23849

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trad-Man   Email Trad-Man       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by doctari:
Ok Brian, I have had mine more than a year now and do enjoy cooking on it. Best prime rib and Pizza's too. Everything Taste better on a Treager. [thumbsup]

LOL...Mark, there has not been one time that I have talked to you that you have not at least mentioned the word "Treager". Even yesterday...I'ma gonna make stuffed halpinos, have a cigar and some cognac...LOL...and all this time I thought you were married to the Treager and Anna was your GF! [Wink]
Posts: 283 | From: Illinois | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doctari
Contributor 2012
Member # 8709

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doctari   Email doctari   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I made 24 stuffed poppers and 20 crab stuffed mushrooms for a dinner party yesterday. It was all gone in less than 30 minutes. Very funny Brian. [Razz]

--------------------
"So long as the new moon returns in heavan a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold the hearts of men." Maurice Thompson The Witchery of Archery

Posts: 371 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trad-Man
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 23849

I know...it's all good! Remember...you had made some for me and Debby last New Years! I'm just say'in...you love your Treager like I love my KME gear!
Mint
Contributor 2015
Member # 5900

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mint   Email Mint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you go to some of the BBQ forums they have some good comparisons of the Traeger and the Big Green Egg showing the pros and cons for both.

--------------------
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1431 | From: Long Island, NY | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Bulla
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 744

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Bulla   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Bulla   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never seen a Treager in person but I've had food off them made by two or three different people and honestly wasn't impressed. In all cases, it didn't have much smoked flavor. The brisket in particular tasted like it was baked in a kitchen oven rather than on a grill.

What I don't know is the skill of the cook. They all talked about how amazing their grills were and how they could set it and walk away. They also, to a man, were big on monitoring internal temps of the meat and taking it off as soon as it hit the target temp. Maybe that doesn't give it enough time to get smokey?

When I do a brisket it takes me about 18 to 20 hours. I put it in the smoker before bedtime with charcoal and firewood coals and a good bit of mesquite chunks. In the morning the fire is weak, the meat looks awsomely smoked but it's still not done all the way. I could continue in the smoker but since it's got all the smoke flavor it needs, I wrap in foil with about 2 or 3 Tbsp of water and put it in the oven at 250-275 for another 8 or 9 hours. Never check temps of the meat. It'll be so tender you have to be careful when cutting it or it will fall apart.

I'd like to play around with a Treager myself but don't know anyone who has one close by.

--------------------
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Posts: 3285 | From: Kansas City MO | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JockC
Contributor 2014
Member # 3082

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JockC   Email JockC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My local Costco has them on promotion right now.

--------------------
Jock
TGMM Family of the Bow
Hunting should be hard.

Posts: 331 | From: Evaro, Montana | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JockC
Contributor 2014
Member # 3082

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JockC   Email JockC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Terry, Treager should give you a commission. I bought one of the Costco promo units, though I kind of wish I had looked at Green Mountain Grills. The food produced is supposed to be identical in quality, but the GMG has some nice additional features. On the other hand, Treager will likely always be around for parts, and GMG is a newer, smaller upstart.

I did a little research on the smoke intensity issue, Dave. First, the BBQ nut crowd (and they make TradGang look a little casual and non-committal) have a low opinion of Treager pellets. Second, they recommend a period of low initial heat (more smoke produced, and it sets into moist meat). Third, and this may be most important, is the role of moisture in making the smoke adhere. The Treager guy told me to keep a spray bottle filled with apple juice and a little real maple syrup by the grill and spray when you can.

Heading off today to buy an insulating blanket that GMG sells that fits the Lil Tex Elite I bought; supposed to cut pellet use down by up to 50%. Eight degrees here this AM; I don't want my pellets heating the outdoors!

--------------------
Jock
TGMM Family of the Bow
Hunting should be hard.

Posts: 331 | From: Evaro, Montana | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sinawalli
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 35661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sinawalli   Email sinawalli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was going to buy one until I saw it was made in china!! Not spending that kind of cash on a chinese product. Am going to go with a Country Smoker, which is made just down the road from here!!

--------------------
That which doesn't kill me, will make me stronger!

Posts: 106 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sticbow
Contributor 2013
Member # 6587

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sticbow   Author's Homepage   Email sticbow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
treager was made in usa moved all to china..there are alot of usa made pellet grills look at louisana smokers..just do your work an read about them all on the internet..
Dave..the pellet smokers do not give the smoke that a wood smoker will give but using low heat for first half of the cooking will do alot better..
one of my best friends makes his living doing this everything he cooks is with hickory but he did tell me if it was for his own use he would buy a pellet grill..an the apple juice in a spray bottle a couple times while cooking makes a BIG difference

Posts: 758 | From: winfield missouri | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2016 ~ Trad Gang.com ©