JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION FORUMS

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » Recipes/Grilling/ Barbecuing/Smokers » Treager Anyone? (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Treager Anyone?
Bear Heart
Contributor 2015
Member # 14589

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bear Heart   Email Bear Heart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use a Green Mountain Grill which is similar to a Trager. One benefit of the GMG is you can set it from 150-500 degrees in 5 degree increments. Check it out.
If you want an American product try a MAK or a Fast Eddy. Be prepared to shell out about twice as much. Remember these grills have computers in them.
I cook at least 3 times a week, more in summer, and have done so for the last year and a half.

--------------------
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Posts: 2134 | From: Southwest Idaho | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bear Heart
Contributor 2015
Member # 14589

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bear Heart   Email Bear Heart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By the way, pelletheads.com has great pellet grill recipes.

--------------------
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Posts: 2134 | From: Southwest Idaho | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terry Green
ADMIN
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Terry Green   Author's Homepage   Email Terry Green       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1st off....no, I don't need a commission.....I'm just a fan of pellet grills...and Traeger was the originator that kinda got it all started. Lots of options out there now.

Green Mountain pellets are better than Traegers IMO....they burn hotter and have less ash.

And to Dave Bulla, ....I really don't even know how you could make those statements. Its like you are on another planet or something. Everyone that has eaten off my grill has RAVED about the flavor....not only I, but a friend of mine sold his green egg to buy one also. Not to mention the other's that have purchased them after eating off mine.

Did you know that folks are trying to BAN pellet grill from cooking contests???? The reason is because they claim its too easy to get the flavor with them.

Like I said earlier, I ate off of one on a hunt, and just had to own one because of the flavor of everything. I'm now looking at compact models from different manufacturers....I want one I can take with me to hunt camp.

--------------------
"An anchor point is not a destination, it's an evolution to execution" - Me

"It's important, when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Black Powder Gang ......... & www.loopaddictions.com

Posts: 30671 | From: GAWGIA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Al Dente
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1051

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Al Dente   Email Al Dente   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think they are trying to ban pellet grills from contests because of the flavor part, but because of the automation of it. Just fill the hopper and you are good for hours. I don't favor the BBQ Guru either, that to me also takes out the human factor for watching your fire and regulating your temp. For personal use, whatever floats your boat, but for a contest, it should be lump, hardwood, or briquetts. No propane, pellets, or electronics that control your pit.

I strictly use lump, hardwood, or briquetts when I smoke or grill. But, I know several people who have pellets cookers, and they love them, and I have tasted the food that came off of them and it was good. No complaints from me.

--------------------
President
Life Member
New York Bowhunters, Inc.
>>>>------------------------>

Posts: 1392 | From: New York | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terry Green
ADMIN
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Terry Green   Author's Homepage   Email Terry Green       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exactly Al...too easy.

Being that I'm not a cooking guru...or into contests....I want my flavor to come easy...my girls want a steak, burger, chicken, fish or even pizza, broccoli, asparagus, bread etc. etc. now, off the grill....I can have it pretty stress free with the flavor of someone that had to 'work it'. Yaknowwhatimean?

--------------------
"An anchor point is not a destination, it's an evolution to execution" - Me

"It's important, when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Black Powder Gang ......... & www.loopaddictions.com

Posts: 30671 | From: GAWGIA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Al Dente
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1051

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Al Dente   Email Al Dente   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
100% Terry. Whatever works for you. Sometimes when I don't want to smoke a brisket for 18 hours or so, I'll smoke it for a good 3 with hickory and when the temp drops, I'll stick it in the oven to for 4-5 hours until tender. But don't tell anyone, wink, wink. Kinda hybrid bbq, but it works in a pinch. Backyard is one thing, and comps are another.

--------------------
President
Life Member
New York Bowhunters, Inc.
>>>>------------------------>

Posts: 1392 | From: New York | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
German Dog
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 25129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for German Dog   Email German Dog   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too jumped on the wood pellet grill. Went with the Treager Lil tex elite.

Boy oh boy is that thing awesome!!! I got so tired of messing with charcoal and couldn't bring myself to go with a propane grill. It is so easy to use and perfect for families that always have stuff going on during the week.

Posts: 422 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sticbow
Contributor 2013
Member # 6587

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sticbow   Author's Homepage   Email sticbow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bought a Yoder built like a tank weigh's 260 pounds 10 gauge steel..best damn food i have ever ate..i love this thing..
Posts: 758 | From: winfield missouri | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elkchaser
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 3860

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elkchaser   Email Elkchaser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I picked up a Traeger early this summer and my wife loves it as much or more than I do. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE IT. But she REALLY LOVES me doing ALL the cooking!!
I can't get enough of it. I experiment with every recipe that sounds good and so far I've had no complaints from anyone.

I'm with you Terry, a smaller unit for hunting camp would be the ticket!! Let us know if you find "THE" one.

TRAEGER on!! [thumbsup]

--------------------
No matter where you go; There you are.......

Toelke Lynx RC 58", 51# @ 28"
Toelke Pika 56", 51# @ 28" (in the works)

Posts: 1534 | From: Billings, Montana | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaterHill Archer
Contributor 2017
Member # 6687

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TaterHill Archer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Traeger for me. I love it. Had to experiment a little to get the temps and cooking times right, but I love the food from it.

--------------------
Jeff

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1188 | From: Arkansas - living in Texas | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pepper
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5756

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pepper   Email Pepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My wife thinks that I am a slow cooking guru. I only have one regret regarding my Traeger.......should've bought it a long time ago.

I don't think you can go wrong with one.

--------------------
Archery is a family sport, enjoy it with your family.

Posts: 719 | From: Calif Central Coast | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pepper
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5756

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pepper   Email Pepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ElkChaser, go to the Traeger website, they have a new portable called the tailgater, looks like a hunting camp dream.

--------------------
Archery is a family sport, enjoy it with your family.

Posts: 719 | From: Calif Central Coast | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mooreski
Member # 38156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mooreski     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great. I just HAD to open this thread. Now I'm going to have to see if I can save the money and convince the wife that we NEED a Traeger. [dntthnk]

--------------------
"You can't build a reputation on what you are GOING to do." - Henry Ford

Posts: 21 | From: Indiana | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KumaSan
Contributor 2014
Member # 12399

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KumaSan   Email KumaSan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got a Traeger Texas grill in 2006 and gave it to my son-in-law in 2011. Excellent food off of that grill, and it's still producing incredible food today. Reason I gave it to him? I got a MAK 2 Star General, which is totally made in Oregon. Just a great cooking/smoking pellet grill.
Posts: 306 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elkchaser
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 3860

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elkchaser   Email Elkchaser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mooreski:
Great. I just HAD to open this thread. Now I'm going to have to see if I can save the money and convince the wife that we NEED a Traeger.

That should just take one meal!! [thumbsup]

--------------------
No matter where you go; There you are.......

Toelke Lynx RC 58", 51# @ 28"
Toelke Pika 56", 51# @ 28" (in the works)

Posts: 1534 | From: Billings, Montana | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©