JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION FORUMS

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » Recipes/Grilling/ Barbecuing/Smokers » Cast iron pan season along... (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Cast iron pan season along...
frank bullitt
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 17387

Icon 1 posted      Profile for frank bullitt   Email frank bullitt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes Dave, that's what your suppose to do. But my range fan won't keep up with that amount of smoke. It's not the type that's vented thru the roof. And I'm sure others are not also! No need to create a mess.

Beside, what's better than a fire outside, with osage logs, nice and hot, and you can cooks some dogs or vension along the way! [bigsmyl]

Posts: 2327 | From: mighty wabash river,in. | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Bulla
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 744

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Bulla   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Bulla   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beside, what's better than a fire outside, with osage logs, nice and hot, and you can cooks some dogs or vension along the way! [bigsmyl]

Well, okay.... ya got me there [biglaugh]

--------------------
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Posts: 3285 | From: Kansas City MO | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JMartin
Contributor 2015
Member # 14580

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JMartin   Email JMartin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mint....dang man, that's kinda funny. I feel for ya though. I wish I coulda seen the look on your wife's face LOL. [bigsmyl]
Posts: 655 | From: Texas | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ridgerunner_sc
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 11321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ridgerunner_sc   Email ridgerunner_sc   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dave you are so right nothing is as good as an old black skillet. i have had mine for over 20 years use it for everything from camping reheating pizza frying .... love them might buy a new one someday unless i find another at a garage sale i like better ..
Posts: 316 | From: South Carolina | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alex m
Member # 25151

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alex m   Email alex m   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My grandma taught me to season iron skillets and pots by just frying potatoes and feeding the spuds to the dogs. I've restored some really rusty ugly dutch ovens and skillets to perfection her way. The bad ones took two or three batches to bring them around. Even the pitted ones came back and would make over easy eggs a cinch. Any time a skillet loses its glaze, i just repeat the process. The dog isn't even really neccessary, just keeps me company and is sooo grateful.

--------------------
The unknown wilderness has said to me: “Come sit in our green shade and commune with the Great Spirit in our leafy cathedrals while the choirs of bird-song fill your ears.” –Howard Hill

Posts: 45 | From: california | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stickbowhntr
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stickbowhntr   Email stickbowhntr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
best ideas i have seen yet on this seasoning.
Posts: 328 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Bulla
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 744

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Bulla   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Bulla   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alex m,

There might be something to that fried potatoes theory. Especially if you fry them in lard.

Ever go in a Waffle House restaurant? I used to go fairly often when I lived in Atlanta and once I got talking to the waitress/cook about their waffle irons. Told her I had an old cast iron one that you use on the stove top but that when I used it, the waffles stuck pretty badly. She just smiled and said something like "Well darlin' you just haveta 'burn it in'." She went on to explain that there in the restaurant, they did it every couple weeks where they'd pour some batter in the irons and let it cook until it turned into a black cinder. She said it'd season the iron perfectly and after that the waffles wouldn't stick. Makes sense if you think about it. Once the outside is burnt, it's almost like ash and is crumbly and unsticks itself. The insides of the waffles would be burnt too so they would be hard and they'd just fall right out. I believe I recall seeing them brush the insides with a scrub brush looking thing to get the crumbs out but that's about it.

--------------------
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Posts: 3285 | From: Kansas City MO | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Bulla
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 744

FYI, I just picked up a small Wagner dutch oven lid at an estate sale that was awfully rusty. I took it onto work and used a different sand blaster this time (200# air instead of just regular shop air) and WOW! Took about 5 minutes and it's bright silver, bare metal. I wish I'd taken a before picture but to give you an idea, it was so bad when I put it inside my duffel bag to go to work all my clothes got dirty and when I changed clothes and showered at the end of my shift, my towel and clean clothes were all full of rust. It had enough rust that it would come off onto anything it touched. I'll post an after pic so you can get an idea of how well it cleaned up.

Sure wish I had the pot to go with it but lids are harder to find than pots so I figured I'd buy it "alone" and hope to find the pot someday later.

--------------------
Dave

Warberg
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 17616

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Warberg   Author's Homepage   Email Warberg       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great info Dave, Cast iron pans are the way to go. I use the same ones my Mom used growing up. Any beat use with.
even though I probley will never grow up. from the size 3 ash tray to the two burner gridle. Muffin pans, dutchovens, they all continue to be used daily. Inside or outside. Worth every penny. Your info is right on.. Thanks again

Posts: 534 | From: Orting Washington | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Bulla
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 744

I went ahead and seasoned the lid tonight when I got home. Wasn't sure how well it would work to do my stove top method with a lid but it went fine. I took pictures along the way and they're uploading right now to photobucket.

I also kept track of the time to see how long it took from start to finish and total it was about 17 minutes. Really, it was good enough at 10 to 12 minutes to start using it or put it up for storage but I did it longer to even out the brownness a bit.

Here's a pic of the top of the lid. That sand blaster REALLY worked nice. One of these days I'll post pics of a pan done in the oven self clean cycle. But that's not good for rust, just carbon build up.
 -

Inside.
 -

And close up of the inside. You can see that it is slightly pitted due to the amount of rust it had but that won't hurt it a bit.
 -

--------------------
Dave

Dave Bulla
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 744

So, same process as the pan I did earlier in this post. I wiped on a thin coat of lard and continued to wipe until it seemed to be picking it back up and the lid just looked a bit shiney. Only problem with this piece is the raised lettering and the raised pattern for the "drip drop" feature of the lid. Wiping on the lard with a paper towel makes a bit hard to get up tight to the raised letters so I put it on a bit heavier than I usually do and then started wiping the excess as soon as it started melting.

Here it is after just a few minutes. Looks pretty much unchanged. Just a hint of golden brown starting to show. Once it starts to get heated up enough to smoke a bit it'll color a lot faster. Note the time on the clock is 12:51. I believe it was 12:48 when I put it on.
 -

12:52. She's getting warm enough to smoke just a bit.
 -

12:53. Coming along nicely. I've wiped it a couple times with the paper towel that still has some residual lard in it.
 -

12:55. Had the idea to use a basting brush and put some lard on with it to get around the raised areas easier. Worked fine but put more on than I really wanted so I went back and wiped with the paper towel afterwords. You can see where the dribbles ran. She's smokin' good! Well, shouldn't be smoking THAT much. The heavy smoke is due to the excess lard the brush put on. That's part of why I prefer very thin controlled coats wiped on with a towel, they smoke less. Range fan is getting most of it but I'm bettin' it's starting to stink upstairs. Wife and kids will sleep through anything. This is really best done outside on a camp stove or turkey fryer burner.
 -

--------------------
Dave

Dave Bulla
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 744

About 12:59, the outside is really coming along nicely. It's good enough that I could stop here and put it away on a shelf until I find a pot to go with it but I'm gonna keep going just to see how much difference more time makes. *Note the condition of the paper towel. It's a bit burnt and frayed. The brown part is normal but the frayed part in this case comes mostly from wiping over the raised letters. The cheap modern cast iron stuff is pretty rough and will also cause this but if you look at an old Griswold in good condition, they're almost like glass inside. Do a search on fleabay and you will see what I mean.
 -

1:05, Looking real good! I'm calling it done. Pretty quick and easy for sure. But like I said, really better to do it outside. I could also put this in the oven now and let it go a while and it would darken even more. I really never bother though as I just cook with the stuff and it gets black on it's own just fine. It's 1:51 right now as I type this and I can still smell it upstairs in the computer room.... Hope the smell is gone by morning!
 -

--------------------
Dave

stickbowhntr
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stickbowhntr   Email stickbowhntr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this is just what I was looking for today...thanks
Posts: 328 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
el greco
Contributor 2016
Member # 35232

Icon 1 posted      Profile for el greco   Email el greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks

--------------------
From my cold,dead hands..

Posts: 694 | From: Florida | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NormanDale33
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 35078

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NormanDale33   Email NormanDale33   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great post. My wife and I bought an expensive set of stainless steel pots/pans for our weeding. A few years later we bought a cast iron pan and I found an old one in my grandma's old stuff. We seasoned them and started using them. Can't remember the last time I touched the stainless skillets. [Smile]

--------------------
Show me your ways, LORD,teach me your paths. Guide me in your truth and teach me,for you are God my Savior,and my hope is in you all day long.

Psalms 25:4-5

Posts: 384 | From: Kansas | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©