JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » Recipes/Grilling/ Barbecuing/Smokers » Cast iron pan season along... (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Cast iron pan season along...
TSchirm
Contributor 2015
Member # 20304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TSchirm   Email TSchirm   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey guys, can you help me out? I was wondering something about the new cast iron skillets out there. I used to have a good, old skillet that my wife inadvertently gave away (long story). We went without for a few years now, but don't like most frying pans you can get now. We have been on the lookout for used cast iron skillets in a couple sizes, and managed to find only one after months of looking,

SO, I broke down and bought two new ones made by Lodge for the other sizes we wanted. These new ones are kind of rough on the cooking surface, where my old one was smooth. Does this make things like eggs stick even thought Lodge says they come pre-weasoned. I intend to improve the seasoning, but am wondering about the roughness causing problems with things sticking. My wife is really not happy, and doesn't think they will work, and doesn't want to use them. So now I'm in the doghouse for spending moeny trying to help out (again- lol).

What are others experiences with newer cast iron and the roughness of the cooking surface??

--------------------
Tom - Fish Carver

Posts: 399 | From: Washington | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Daddy
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 11933

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Daddy   Email Fat Daddy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
tom,

I use at least one of my Lodge cast iron skillets every day. They are smooth to the touch. The didn't start out that way but with a month's worth of use, they evolved into the pans that they are now. I recommend just using them often. Lodge hasn't changed the way they make them, so they should end up as smooth as your old one.

Good luck and enjoy the time with the dog!

FD

Posts: 107 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stickbowhntr
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stickbowhntr   Email stickbowhntr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My wife is really not happy,

Well neither would I be for what she sold. Tell her get over it and just start using the new ones.

Posts: 328 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Babbling Bob
Contributor 2016
Member # 37437

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Babbling Bob   Email Babbling Bob   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My cast iron skillets I bought 46 years ago are black, not brown inside and very slick. Some pitting on the 10 incher, but they are used every day. When its cold, the large one is used to cook the suasage and gravy and the smaller 8 to 9 inch normal size skillet does the biquits.

I agree with use of the lard, it works great. I also just take a very small amount of oil and rub the inside of the skillets after use. I also noticed that the new skillets are heavier and thicker, but also more porous than the skillets I bought years ago. Like the old ones better

Posts: 217 | From: South Florida (winter) Adirondacks (summer) | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hvyhitter
Contributor 2014
Member # 15486

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hvyhitter   Email hvyhitter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In teaching adult daughter to use cast iron one important point came up- HEAT. Cast iron doesnt need the heat to be cranked up and works best on low to medium heat. Too hot and you start to burn off your seasoning and will have to start over. I cook eggs or an omlett every day along with spam or bacon or sausage on med low heat and nothing ever sticks......... make perfect grilled cheese sandwiches that way too.......

--------------------
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Posts: 1431 | From: Zville OH | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Krex1010
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 42398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Krex1010   Email Krex1010   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have several newer lodge cast irons, all started out with that rough texture but they are slick as ice now after a few years. Keep them oiled, keep soap away, if they get crusty just boil some water in them and wipe clean and oil them again. If they are dead dry and greased everytime you're done withr them, they will stay beautiful and outlive you.

--------------------
45@28 bear montana
47@27 mad dog prairie predator
"You can't cheat the mountain pilgrim"

Posts: 278 | From: Pa | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaskabowhunter
Contributor 2014
Member # 7576

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaskabowhunter   Author's Homepage   Email alaskabowhunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I only cook in cast iron, was raised with it. I have a few dutch ovens for hunting camp.....this is some of them....
 -

--------------------
I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.

Posts: 791 | From: minnesota | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaskabowhunter
Contributor 2014
Member # 7576

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaskabowhunter   Author's Homepage   Email alaskabowhunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
 -
 -

--------------------

Posts: 791 | From: minnesota | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaskabowhunter
Contributor 2014
Member # 7576

everthing tastes better in cast iron....  -

--------------------

alaskabowhunter
Contributor 2014
Member # 7576

-

--------------------

alaskabowhunter
Contributor 2014
Member # 7576

I restore cast iron using electrolysis, a tank I made myself.... removes all ancient seasoning, rust and crude. Cast comes out ready to be cleaned and reseasoned. I have a couple hundred pieces that I've restored over the years and try to use them all.... here is a #10 Griswold griddle going into the electrolysis tank and a pic of what it looked like 4 hours later... this thing is huge, you could land an F-16 on it. I made pancakes for a fund raiser with it last October... cooked like a boss..  -

after 4 hours...
 -

--------------------

alaskabowhunter
Contributor 2014
Member # 7576

before e-tank  -

after....  -

--------------------

alaskabowhunter
Contributor 2014
Member # 7576

another griddle that was solid rust when I got it.... 16 inches and cooks awesome....
 -

--------------------

bretto
Contributor 2016
Member # 11278

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bretto   Email bretto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I'm suffering from Pan envy right now!!!

That's a nice collection of cast iron.

bretto

Posts: 2319 | From: Linwood, Ks | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaskabowhunter
Contributor 2014
Member # 7576

-

--------------------

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©