JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION FORUMS

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » Recipes/Grilling/ Barbecuing/Smokers » Squirrel Recipes Wanted (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Squirrel Recipes Wanted
Longbow1953
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 12111

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Longbow1953   Email Longbow1953   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've lived in the Midwest for less than two years and recently took up squirrel hunting. My wife has tried a couple different recipes that haven't turned out so good. Anyone have any good squirrel recipes you care to share with us? We'd sure appreciate it as I'm really enjoying the hunting part of it! Thanks!

--------------------
I've heard it said that Christianity is a crutch. To me, it's a walking stick to use on the path of life.

Posts: 645 | From: Livonia, MI | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
magnus
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 17483

Icon 1 posted      Profile for magnus   Email magnus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Check out the Grilling/BBQ Section. Lots of good info there.

--------------------
Keeping the Faith!
Matt
TGMM Family of the bow
Turkey Flite Traditional
mwg.trad@yahoo.com

Posts: 4219 | From: N.E. Ohio | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
soap creek
Associate Sponsor - Contributor 2016
Member # 20203

Icon 1 posted      Profile for soap creek   Email soap creek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Take squirrel cut into pcs season (Emeral Essense or what ever you like) brown in skillet.Put in crock pot cover w/chicken broth or even water, cook untill meat falls off the bone. Usually 6-8 hrs. takr out squirrels, save liquid remove meat from bones set aside. Put a package of mixed vegi's in crock pot with meat. Now you can either make your own gravy or use boughten, adding the saved liquid to thin to suit you. Put this in pot with meat and vegi's. Cook 2hrs or untill vegi's are done. Serve over hot bisuits. I'm getting hungry I got to go.

--------------------
(Rom. 10:13)

Posts: 638 | From: S.E. Iowa | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keefer
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 8804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keefer   Author's Homepage   Email Keefer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dead Squirrel and Pan then fry [dunno] that's all I know to do...
Posts: 4067 | From: Hurlock Maryland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Perry
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 213

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Perry   Email Rick Perry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
flour and season with your favorite fried chicken seasoning .Brown quickly in shortening.
Place in dutch oven on a rack to keep them off the bottom of the pan . Put a small amout of water in bottom of pan ( approx 1/4 inch). Put in oven @ 225-250 for 2 hours .

even an old tough skwerl will be falling off the bone tender and finger likin good !

(also be sure to soak cut up skwerls in salt water overnight and peal off as much membrane and fat as you can before cooking.)

--------------------
"Pick a spot"

RLP

Posts: 499 | From: Illinois | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve in Canton
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2626

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve in Canton   Email Steve in Canton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saute the brains with eggs
Posts: 313 | From: Canton Ohio | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
macbow
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for macbow   Email macbow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I sort the squirrels into fryers and skewers.
The young ones fry like chicken.
Older ones cut into quarters . Put in crock pot with cream of mushroom soup and water. Cook till falling off bone, remove bones.
Add dumplings.

--------------------
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Posts: 3285 | From: Warsaw, Missouri | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kudu Kid
Member # 9593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kudu Kid   Email Kudu Kid   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Young Squirrels, fry like chicken. Tougher/older squirrels, soak in buttermilk overnight then fry like chicken. The buttermilk will help tenderize the meat.
Posts: 68 | From: MN | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jedimaster
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 12895

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jedimaster   Email Jedimaster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like has been said, fry the little ones.

Quarter squirrels and brown in a cast iron pot over high heat with just a little oil. Add just a little water (not enough to cover), place the lid on top, reduce heat and cook for 3 hours. At 3 hours add chopped onioins, potatoes, salt and pepper and simmer one more hour. Serve over rice.

--------------------
Do or do not ... there is no "try"

Cum catapulatae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Posts: 1387 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bowwild
Contributor 2017
Member # 2347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bowwild   Author's Homepage   Email Bowwild   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've done this with bigger fox squirrels:

Cut up 1-2 squirrels and put in crock pot with a can of Cream of Mushroom Soup and enough water to cover the pieces. Takes half a day or when meat falls off the bones.

--------------------
If the mind wanders, so too will the arrow.

Member of various archery organizations.

Posts: 5863 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
frassettor
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 13503

Icon 1 posted      Profile for frassettor   Author's Homepage   Email frassettor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is one I posted a while ago on the Recipe/ Grilling Forum

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=000381

--------------------
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Posts: 4572 | From: WI | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluegrassbowhunter
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5241

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bluegrassbowhunter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quartered up & put in a slow cooker with a bottle of Franks Red Hot sauce & a jar of Hooter Hot Wing Sauce..You'll know when their ready... my 2 kids will eat a limit of 6 squirrels in one sitting easily.....

--------------------
"Life,Liberty & the pursue of deer & turkeys."

Posts: 1454 | From: Harrodsburg, Kentucky | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
heydeerman
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 120

Icon 1 posted      Profile for heydeerman         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cook in a crockpot overnight with a little water and whatever spices you want. I usually throw in a little onion, garlic, and salt and pepper. Let it cook all night. In the morning pull the meat off the bones and brown in skillet with a little grease. Fry up some eggs and eat.
Posts: 3461 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keefer
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 8804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keefer   Author's Homepage   Email Keefer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
t.t.t. for Lee
Posts: 4067 | From: Hurlock Maryland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sticshooter
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2000

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sticshooter   Email sticshooter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Guess who is going looking for bushy tails tomorrow? [bigsmyl] Maybe I;ll pick up some extra bird feed for the feeders hahahahaha no I am not kidding!<><

--------------------
The Church of God is an anvil that has worn out many hammers.

"Walk softly..and carry a sharp Stic."
TGMM

Posts: 9651 | From: Foot of the Cross! < WI | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©