JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION FORUMS

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » Recipes/Grilling/ Barbecuing/Smokers » Squirrel Recipes Wanted (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Squirrel Recipes Wanted
Duncan
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 29444

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan   Email Duncan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Skwerl haid stew. You'd have to be from SC to like it. [Smile]

--------------------
Member NCBA

Posts: 564 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jakeemt
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 35665

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jakeemt   Email Jakeemt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am from the midwest aswell and a fanatic about squirrel hunting. Here is my favorite recipe for white squirrel chili.

Get together several squirrels skinned and left whole. Soak in a salt brine over night. Then simmer them whith a couple of bullion cubes until the meat comes easily off the bones. Shred by hand and set aside.

other ingredients
4 cloves garlic (or 4 table spoons minced garlic)
2 medium yellow onions
2 bell peppers one red one green
2 serano peppers
2 cans great northern beans
1 can pinto beans
1 table spoon cayane
1/2 table spoon texas chilli powder
1/2 table spoon salt
1/2 quart chicken broth

saute peppers, onion,squirrel in a little oil until veggies are soft. then combine all other ingedients and simmer cover for 1-2 hours then simmer uncovere as desired to thicken.

Posts: 810 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hogless
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1035

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hogless   Email hogless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
2 young squirrels clean and quarter soak in salt water at lest 30 min dip in egg milk mixture and dredge in flour salt and pepper fry on low heat covered until brown on both sides about 45 mins remove squirrels in bowl add 2 cups milk and 2 table spoons flour mix stir in hot pan of dripings and salt and pepper to taste stir until thick
Posts: 181 | From: Canton Ga. | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Knawbone
Contributor 2015
Member # 29397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Knawbone   Email Knawbone   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was going to tell you about my recipe, but Soap Creek beat me to it. Squirrel is tough unless cooked a long time or in a pressure cooker. Just follow what Soap said. You can of course adjust ingredients as you like. I like to keep the broth or gravey thin and like corn in mine. I made this for a few friends one time, and the one friend at first refused to eat it. We finally got him to try it and he ended up eating three bowls full. He said he didn't know tree rats could taste so good. Very healthy, nutritious meat. At least twice as nutritious as any meat from a store. [thumbsup] Enjoy

--------------------
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Posts: 2373 | From: Painted Post , NY | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucas K
Contributor 2012
Member # 13615

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lucas K   Email Lucas K   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't have one on hand, but look up a recipe for Brunswick Stew.

--------------------
Lucas Kent

Posts: 632 | From: Kansas City, MO | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JEFF B
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 7842

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JEFF B   Email JEFF B   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ok this is it take one tree rat one stone salt pepper pot water boil the tree rat with the stone for 3 hours when it is ready throw the tree rat away and eat the stone [biglaugh]

--------------------
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Posts: 9460 | From: Baylys Beach New Zealand | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ed cowden
Contributor 2016
Member # 1312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ed cowden   Email ed cowden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Big fox squirrels have always been good just fried. The greys seem to be tougher and I brown real good then pressure cook for about 20 min. This is the best meat in the woods. Grouse are number 2
Posts: 433 | From: virgina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Hammond
SPONSOR
Member # 607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Hammond   Author's Homepage   Email Ray Hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our fox squirrels taste and smell like turpentine because they seem to live exclusively on pine cones

The little grays I just pop dey heads off and eat em raw! Skwerl sushi! Yum!!!

--------------------
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Posts: 8808 | From: Buford GA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kill shot
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 16036

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kill shot   Author's Homepage   Email kill shot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pressure cook until tender. Usually about 15 minutes. Let the pressure go down on its own, just turn off the burner or if its an electric stove just remove the pressure cooker from the coil. pan fry with bacon grease. Regular flour works good but I like drakes or pancake flour. Fry until brown. Another good recipe is to just cook in a slow cooker with lipton cup of soup.(onion) Cook until tender. You can usre the pressure cooker to hurry the process.
Posts: 1051 | From: kent city,mi | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fattony77
2017 Contributor
Member # 37643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fattony77   Email Fattony77   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ted Nugent's book "Kill it and Grill it" has a great recipe for squirrel casserole. If you'd like, PM me & I'll send ya the recipe. Only thing I do different with it is, I add a layer of cheddar cheese to the top.
Posts: 1279 | From: Muskogee, OK | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alteredbeast
Member # 38720

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alteredbeast   Email alteredbeast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quarter the squirrels bring to a slow boil in salted water for 25-30 min. Dip them in milk then roll in seasoned flour or fish fry. Pan fry in veg oil or deep fry about 12 min.
Posts: 92 | From: Illinois | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WhiteBeard121
Contributor 2013
Member # 37389

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WhiteBeard121   Email WhiteBeard121   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by alteredbeast:
quarter the squirrels bring to a slow boil in salted water for 25-30 min. Dip them in milk then roll in seasoned flour or fish fry. Pan fry in veg oil or deep fry about 12 min.

X2 on this but parboil in milk instead of water. Makes em more tenderer. Ya'll made me hongry!
Posts: 132 | From: va | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Krex1010
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 42398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Krex1010   Email Krex1010   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Love squirrel hunting and I've tried a bunch of ways to cook them. I like to clean them and chunk them up, 5 pieces; hind legs, front legs and backstrap. I think they benefit from a brine soak with a little vinegar in it. If you don't have time to brine them you can skip that step. Then I simmer them covered in beer for about an hour or until they are tender but not falling apart. Pull them out, let them cool a bit then throw them on a hot grill or over a campfire for a few minutes, brush your fav BBQ sauce on them, pull them off the fire and enjoy. As an alternative after you pull them out of the beer simmer you can let them cool a bit, dredge in flour and fry them, then toss in buffalo wing sauce if you want. Either way they are a tasty item, serve with an icy cold beer and you'll be lovin life.

--------------------
45@28 bear montana
47@27 mad dog prairie predator
"You can't cheat the mountain pilgrim"

Posts: 278 | From: Pa | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©