JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION FORUMS

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » Recipes/Grilling/ Barbecuing/Smokers » HELP!! IN THE DOG HOUSE - Cast iron skillet question (also in cooking forum) (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: HELP!! IN THE DOG HOUSE - Cast iron skillet question (also in cooking forum)
iron_llama
Member # 34522

Icon 1 posted      Profile for iron_llama   Email iron_llama   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not to resurrect a dead thread, but...

If you run cast iron in your oven's self-cleaning cycle it will burn off absolutely everything on it. I've had to do this once or twice when I screwed up seasoning something, or when somebody trying to be helpful ran it through the dishwasher.

A power drill with sanding pads will smooth out the inside of new cast iron. Go gentle and use the finest grit you can find, like for auto body work. I've done it to a Lodge skillet, but I've got a camp oven and a comal I need to smooth out at some point.

To season I stick the cast iron in the oven at like 300 for an hour or so (usually when I've got some food in the oven) and then rub it down (inside and out, don't forget the handle and lid) with bacon fat. Wipe off the excess.

Posts: 32 | From: MN | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©