JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » Recipes/Grilling/ Barbecuing/Smokers » Got a deer backstrap curing!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Got a deer backstrap curing!
koger
Contributor 2014
Member # 15434

Icon 1 posted      Profile for koger   Author's Homepage   Email koger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I grew up sugar/salt curing hams and bacon. I decided to do a quick cure on a deer loin, see how it turned out. I am thinking/hoping it will be close to Canadian bacon. I used 1 large heaping tablespoon per pound, of Morton's Tender Quick, then added 1/2 that much brown sugar, and some black pepper. I put this in a heavy duty freezer bag, and am flipping it over every day, 2 weeks till done, halfway there! There will be a lot of watery brine in the bottom of the bag, but you just leave that, it aids in the curing process. You can use this same recipe to make buckboard bacon from pork shoulder, just rinse off with water, slice the bacon thick and freeze in portions when done. I also have 2 8# pork shoulders cut up and curing also, got them on sale for $1per#, versus $6 for good sugar cured bacon, and this is much leaner, less nitrates also.

--------------------
samuel koger

Posts: 1889 | From: monticello, KY | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Campbell
Assoc Sponsor - Charter Member
Member # 269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Campbell   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Campbell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sugar cured and smoked my share of hams and sides too Samuel but never tried deer. Looking forward to hearing how the backstrap turns out...

--------------------
Life is wonderful in Montana!!
"BEING CHALLENGED IN LIFE IS INEVITABLE. BEING DEFEATED IS OPTIONAL."
ABS Journeyman Knifesmith
Doug's Photo Album,

Posts: 8940 | From: SW Montana | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chall
2017 Contributor
Member # 39295

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chall   Email chall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds good ,I never used a sugar cure on deer meat either .

--------------------
Eric Hall, Chris Hall , Cyndy Hall

Posts: 455 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
koger
Contributor 2014
Member # 15434

Icon 1 posted      Profile for koger   Author's Homepage   Email koger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Guys the loin had a small flap on the scrappy end, pulled that off, sliced thin, fried it up, looked an tasted like country ham!! Can't wait for the rest to finish curing!

--------------------
samuel koger

Posts: 1889 | From: monticello, KY | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
koger
Contributor 2014
Member # 15434

Friday evening fixed scratch biscuits, and the deer loin I had cured, placed in a skillet, just about covered with water, cooked on med hi till water nearly gone, sprinkled some brown sugar on the deer loin, ended up with a lightly sweet brown glaze and just the right amount of salt. I added this to the bisucuits, home made blackberry jelly for the extra biscuits, and fresh fried eggs from our chickens here on the farm, breakfast for supper! Guys you gotta try this!~

--------------------
samuel koger

olddogrib
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1481

Icon 1 posted      Profile for olddogrib   Email olddogrib   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Koger,
Sounds delish. Let's see now, I need to buy a farm, raise some chickens, grow a briar patch, kill a deer. And right off hand I have... the deer. Nah, why don't you just invite us over, lol!

--------------------
"Wakan Tanka
Wakan Tanka
Pilamaya
Wichoni heh"

Posts: 1657 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chall
2017 Contributor
Member # 39295

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chall   Email chall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds good !

--------------------
Eric Hall, Chris Hall , Cyndy Hall

Posts: 455 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traditional-Archer
2017 Contributor
Member # 11251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Traditional-Archer   Email Traditional-Archer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Koger,
Sounds delish. Let's see now, I need to buy a farm, raise some chickens, grow a briar patch, kill a deer. And right off hand I have... the deer. Nah, why don't you just invite us over, lol!

I Second that

--------------------
We are what we do repeatedly. Execellence is, therefore, not an act but a habit.

Artistole (384-322 B.C.)
Philosopher

Posts: 726 | From: Columbia,PA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Krex1010
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 42398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Krex1010   Email Krex1010   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I set aside a couple of hindquarter roasts to make either corned venison or venison pastrami, anyone ever try that?

--------------------
45@28 bear montana
47@27 mad dog prairie predator
"You can't cheat the mountain pilgrim"

Posts: 278 | From: Pa | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
koger
Contributor 2014
Member # 15434

It will work fine, treat just like beef!

--------------------
samuel koger

RAU
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 8043

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RAU   Author's Homepage   Email RAU   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've made a lot of venison pastrami from hindquarter roasts. I dredge the roasts in tender quick and cure for several days then rinse and soak for an hour or so in cool clean water then drain pat dry and coat with coarse ground pepper and ground coriander and smoke til I think 155 internal forget gotta check my records. Absolutely delicious sandwhich meat. I've made pastrami Reubens with it shaved thin with a sharp knife. Really, it's fantastic!! I'm going to try steaming 1 of the pastramis for a while real slow like they do in those famous Jewish delis (Katz's and Carnegie) for pastrami on rye this year and see how it works out.
Posts: 686 | From: NE Pa | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©