JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION FORUMS

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » Recipes/Grilling/ Barbecuing/Smokers » Deer backstrap recipes? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Deer backstrap recipes?
pukwana
Contributor 2014
Member # 37573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pukwana   Email pukwana   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We love to make fajita meat with the straps. Cut them in half lengthwise and marinate overnight in a mixture of orange juice(1 cup), tequila(1/2 cup), lime juice(1/2 cup), pepper, and diced onions and jalapenos. Once done marinating, dry with a paper towel and rub generously with kosher salt, it will give it a good crust when cooked over the charcoal. The whole family loves it, thats usually hard to accomplish in my house!
Posts: 122 | From: Jamestown North Dakota | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Hammond
SPONSOR
Member # 607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Hammond   Author's Homepage   Email Ray Hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Always cook your backstrap in sections- like a 12 inch long section for three to four people.

Since venison is so lean, you need to sear it to avoid losing the natural juices.

Get your grill going- I like home made wood chunk coals or oak coals off a fire put into a grill- while that's being readied, lightly cover the outside with your favorite dry rub- I like McCormick steak seasoning- let it set for fifteen twenty minutes in the fridge. Heat a cast iron skillet fairly hot and add olive oil- put the loin in and sear it all the way around the outside and on the ends just enough to seal it and get a slight crust.

Transfer the loin to the grill and finish cooking to your taste- I like mine really pink inside so it doesn't take too long.

Once you try it like this, without all the "cover" additives- you'll never eat it done any other way. One warning- I treat venison like a farmer treats beef- once it's been killed, it isn't long before its getting chilled down in a big way. Every minute it sits around unprocessed, the interior temperature of that animal is rising for some time- that causes the gamey taste. Once its processed, I store it in a dry, cold place like a refrigerator or walk in cooler for five days, maybe six, before packaging. The difference is amazing. Don't sit it in watery ice and drain all the flavor out of your precious venison...you'll enjoy it more.

--------------------
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Posts: 8808 | From: Buford GA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bisch
Contributor 2017
Member # 17432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bisch   Email Bisch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is another one that is AWESOME!

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=000645

Bisch

--------------------
Traditional Bowhunters of Texas Life Member
Lone Star Bowhunters Assn Life Member
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 11670 | From: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danny Rowan
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 1321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Danny Rowan   Email Danny Rowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cut the strap cross wise in 1 1/2" slices, butterfly, pound with meat hammer. put flour,black pepper and salt in a bowl and mix, in another bowl put milk and one egg and mix. roll the buttefly in flour mix, dip in milk and egg solution, roll in flour mix again then put in pan with hot olive oil and fry. Yummy and tender, do not over cook, just golden brown on both sides and the steak should be medium.

--------------------
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993

Posts: 7870 | From: Guam | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Krex1010
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 42398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Krex1010   Email Krex1010   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I freeze my blackstrap in whole portions, usually three strips per strap. I like cooking the sections uncut because I like my venison pretty rare. My fave blackstrap prep is to start with a buttered skillet and sweat some shallots for a minute or two then fill the skillet with mushrooms and cook slowly until the mushrooms lose their moisture, then add about 4 cups of at least decent red wine and let it simmer until it's reduced by about 75%, then add a half stick of butter and that there is some addictive mushrooms that can top or be a side to your blackstrap. The backstrap section get salt and a really nice coating of very coarse black pepper. Grill it or sear in cast iron and finish in the oven, cook until it's 120 degrees then let it rest 5-10 minutes, slice her up and eat with the mushrooms.

--------------------
45@28 bear montana
47@27 mad dog prairie predator
"You can't cheat the mountain pilgrim"

Posts: 278 | From: Pa | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©