JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION FORUMS

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » Recipes/Grilling/ Barbecuing/Smokers » Chipped Venison from start to finish

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Chipped Venison from start to finish
Traditional-Archer
2017 Contributor
Member # 11251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Traditional-Archer   Email Traditional-Archer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wanted to fire up the smoke house again so I decided to make some chipped venison. Here is my recipe.

25lb of deboned trimmed venison
12.5 quarts of water or 2.5 quart per 5 pounds of meat

20 tablespoons of salt

10 tablespoons of tender quick meat cure

25 tablespoons of brown sugar

I mixed all ingredients into the 12.5 quarts of water and separated one gallon for my meat brine injector.

I added the 25lbs of venison into the brine and then I took the gallon of brine and started injecting the meat, when I would see the meat start to plump up I would move to another spot and then to another piece of meat, I did this until all of the meat was full of brine inside and out.

I didn't have a big enough refrigerator so I used my big meat cooler I use for hunting trips. I just kept making sure the temperature in the cooler did not freeze and never got above 40 D/F. I then would turn the meat every morning and every evening when I would get home from work. After 6 days in the brine I pulled the meat and let it drain.
After I put everything together I stuffed my netting to hang the meat in my smoke house.
I fired the smoke house up to 150 D/F then I maintained the temperature for two days. I left the meat in my smoke house for another 5 days not put to any heat. The following weekend I cut the pieces in half to dry the inside just a little more to my liking.
I sliced the venison with my meat slicer as thin as I could.

This sounds like a lot of work but break it down and it’s not as bad as it sounds and the rewords way out way the time it takes to make the chipped venison.

-

--------------------
We are what we do repeatedly. Execellence is, therefore, not an act but a habit.

Artistole (384-322 B.C.)
Philosopher

Posts: 725 | From: Columbia,PA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traditional-Archer
2017 Contributor
Member # 11251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Traditional-Archer   Email Traditional-Archer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

--------------------
We are what we do repeatedly. Execellence is, therefore, not an act but a habit.

Artistole (384-322 B.C.)
Philosopher

Posts: 725 | From: Columbia,PA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traditional-Archer
2017 Contributor
Member # 11251

-

--------------------

Artistole (384-322 B.C.)
Philosopher

Traditional-Archer
2017 Contributor
Member # 11251

-

--------------------

Artistole (384-322 B.C.)
Philosopher

Traditional-Archer
2017 Contributor
Member # 11251

-

--------------------

Artistole (384-322 B.C.)
Philosopher

Stone Knife
Contributor 2015
Member # 10014

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stone Knife   Email Stone Knife   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man that looks good, I have had chipped venison before but never made any.

--------------------
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Posts: 6941 | From: silversprings ny | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChiefStingingArrow
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 36730

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChiefStingingArrow   Email ChiefStingingArrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I saw the title I said to myself this guys has to be from Pa.
Thanks I am going to have to try this.

Posts: 247 | From: Dornsife Pa | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neuse
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 10875

Icon 1 posted      Profile for neuse   Email neuse   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never heard of this. Looks interesting.
Posts: 203 | From: Texas | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neuse
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 10875

Icon 1 posted      Profile for neuse   Email neuse   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is new to me.
What do you do with the meat after this process?

Posts: 203 | From: Texas | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traditional-Archer
2017 Contributor
Member # 11251

cut the pieces thin or use a chipper. I will post some pictures when I pull some from the freezer.

--------------------

Artistole (384-322 B.C.)
Philosopher

Traditional-Archer
2017 Contributor
Member # 11251

this is one way to prepare your dried venison.  -

--------------------

Artistole (384-322 B.C.)
Philosopher

neuse
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 10875

I wish the pictures were still here.

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©