JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION FORUMS

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » Recipes/Grilling/ Barbecuing/Smokers » Don't waste turkey!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Don't waste turkey!
olddogrib
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1481

Icon 1 posted      Profile for olddogrib   Email olddogrib   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll confess to breasting out turkeys for many years and feeling guilty for believing the old adage that turkeys legs were only good substitutes for Louisville Sluggers. But, in my defense, every way I made them it was true. Found a slow cooker recipe and I will never again waste turkey quarters. Go ahead and skin the quarters out after breasting (I still won't pluck, at my age I don't have enough time left). I put both thigh/leg quarters in a large slow cooker. Mine is large and will hold two. Add enough water to cover, one can Golden Mushroom soup, and two packs of onion soup mix. I put the thing on Auto (heats up on high and switches to low) before I leave for work and it cooks all day. This could be anywhere from 10-12 hrs., but I take the meat out and pull it off the bones, chop it and put a little McCormick's Montreal Chicken seasoning on it and throw it back in the pot. Boil a pack of frozen dumplings for 10 mins. Drain and add them to the pot, too. Add salt pepper to taste, stir well, serve and freeze what you can't eat. You can go the veggie route if you want stew or soup, but turkey and dumplings is mighty good eats!

--------------------
"Wakan Tanka
Wakan Tanka
Pilamaya
Wichoni heh"

Posts: 1638 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jackpine Boyz
Member # 45525

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jackpine Boyz   Email Jackpine Boyz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
olddogrib,
I often advise my friends not to waste this meat. Pheasnat legs get saved due to size and soup made after I get about a dozen birds.
For Turkey though, all the bones go in the pot after breasting and make soup. Wings and legs then get meat removed after boiling then chopped up and back with broth and a few veggies. My Jake this year fed my wife/myself and 3 young kids for 2 full meals. Breast gets saved separately for later.

I tip to make them more manageable is to cut the end of the leg/drumstick off before cooking. the meat then contracts as it cooks up the tendon. You can pull out just about all those annoying tendons with a gentle tug with a pair of pliers. I do this with my thanks giving turkeys as well from the store. (this is why cartoons have little sock on turkey legs, it was done to cover the cut bone when presenting the bird in the "old days")

Posts: 57 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
olddogrib
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1481

Icon 1 posted      Profile for olddogrib   Email olddogrib   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll have to confess, it did not occur to me to try to skin out the wings...although they did get turned into some really nice fletching!

--------------------
"Wakan Tanka
Wakan Tanka
Pilamaya
Wichoni heh"

Posts: 1638 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mint
2017 Contributor
Member # 5900

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mint   Email Mint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I cook my in the slow cooker also, then cut into cubes and make turkey pot pies. First time I made them this way, my wife looked over at me and said I was a genius, they were that good.

--------------------
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1548 | From: Long Island, NY | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
olddogrib
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1481

Good tip, Mint. I make a lot of chicken pies and prefer the boneless/skinless thigh meat. I've tried turkey breasts, but now that I've figured out how to tenderize the quarters, that would be just the ticket.

--------------------
"Wakan Tanka
Wakan Tanka
Pilamaya
Wichoni heh"

Traditional-Archer
2017 Contributor
Member # 11251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Traditional-Archer   Email Traditional-Archer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[clapper] [clapper] [clapper]

--------------------
We are what we do repeatedly. Execellence is, therefore, not an act but a habit.

Artistole (384-322 B.C.)
Philosopher

Posts: 723 | From: Columbia,PA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whiskyweasel
Member # 43698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for whiskyweasel   Email whiskyweasel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It always kills me when guys leave their turkey legs in the woods. I've become a hug fan of Hank Shaw's wild game recipes and his turkey leg carnitas are unreal.

https://honest-food.net/turkey-carnitas/

If you get a chance, peruse the rest of that website. Mr. Shaw has developed a treasure trove of recipes for all sorts of wild game and he is particularly interested in using parts of the animal usually left behind.

Posts: 5 | From: MS | Registered: Jul 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Pain
Contributor 2017
Member # 22258

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doc Pain   Email Doc Pain   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never waste any part of my turkey. I bring it home,skin and debone the meat. Then I portion it out in ziploc bags and freeze it. I then periodically thaw a bag out, cook it and feed it to my dogs. I have yet to find a way to make it edible for myself.

--------------------
If it isn't life or death, it's no big deal.

Posts: 110 | From: Gregory, Michigan | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©