JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION FORUMS

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » State Trad Bowhunting Orgs » FLORIDA - Traditional Bowhunters of Florida » How to make the most of our state.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How to make the most of our state.
freedomhunter
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 40479

Icon 1 posted      Profile for freedomhunter   Email freedomhunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay so besides the fact we have some of the worlds best fishing, what do you guys do to make the most of bow hunting and outdoors?

Lets face it, bow season starts in September and is a scorcher with blood sucking pest that are so thick the sound of them flying drives you mad. By the time it cools off general gun season kicks off and if you hunt only public land it can be tricky with making it out of the woods in one piece. I see guys with their pictures up north and just to be outside in their weather would be paradise.

So what do you guys do in Florida during our 8-9 months of living under a magnifying glass? How do you practice in the off season? When hunting season is over, how do you have fun with your bow?

--------------------
How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?
Romans 10:14 KJV

Posts: 185 | From: Florida | Registered: Dec 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Ole' Bowhunter
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 40895

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Ole' Bowhunter   Email The Ole' Bowhunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Robert, you can take my two cents worth with a grain of salt because I live in Saratoga County in Upstate New York and live in Apollo Beach only during late December to late April. Because I live in a gated community (I'm a retired welding teacher)and cannot shoot within the park, I have to shoot indoors in my home which I do from shooting from my dining room, down the hallway into my writing room...of course my wife is usually outside when I shoot. I also do some bowfishing for stingray and mullet or whatever ever legal species that happens to cruise by my canoe. I also like to stump shoot and gray squirrel hunt however, I usually have to drive up to Green Swamp to do that which is an hour drive for me from Apollo Beach...but I don't mind the drive. As far as mosquitoes go, I also hunt spring black bear up in Quebec Canada and believe me, compared to Canada in the spring time...Florida's biting insects are quite bearable however, I recommend using a head-net whenever the insects become bothersome during any of my hunts. When at home in Upstate New York, I hunt cottontail rabbits and grouse during the winter when not in Florida. For one thing, if I was a Florida resident, I would certainly be looking for a place to hunt feral hogs, alligator and turkey. There you have it...my two cents worth.
Posts: 261 | From: Saratoga, New York | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
freedomhunter
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 40479

Icon 1 posted      Profile for freedomhunter   Email freedomhunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It looks like the grass is always greener. Dad is from Pennsy and tells me all the time snow is worth vacationing in but not living in. I am thinking of getting a bug tamer suit for next season as well. My only concern is shooting with a face net. I am over here on the east coast 5 minutes from mosquito lagoon. Just a heads up when your coming down, Flounder season is starting up soon. I have yet to bow fish them but it is definitely something I am looking into. You also can take Sheepshead and black drum. It is really east to get setup for it and you do it at night. It's a good way to spend the time with family and friends and have a ton of fun.

--------------------
How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?
Romans 10:14 KJV

Posts: 185 | From: Florida | Registered: Dec 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Ole' Bowhunter
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 40895

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Ole' Bowhunter   Email The Ole' Bowhunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I shoot my recurve with a head neat on quite often, especially when bowhunting in Canada but also when hunting around home because I where glasses...the headnet seems to keep the glare from my lenses from spooking game. Can't wait to bowfish Florida's salt water again.
Posts: 261 | From: Saratoga, New York | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
caligator
Contributor 2015
Member # 38427

Icon 1 posted      Profile for caligator   Email caligator   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Buddies and I shoot a lot of 3D tournaments. Build blinds and keep shooting lanes clear on the management areas where we are allowed to access.Hunt hogs whenever we get the chance. Turkey season is a month in the spring and there are a lot of them around. And of course the fishing...... I'm in Jacksonville and the fishing is always good for something up/ down here.

If you haven't bought a ThermoCell for the skeeters, get one! The best $20 you'll spend for keeping most of them at bay.

--------------------
The welfare of the state depends upon the morals of its citizens.

Posts: 168 | From: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©