JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » State Trad Bowhunting Orgs » VIRGINIA - Traditional Bowhunters of Virginia » acorns anyone? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: acorns anyone?
jim ratcliff
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 19523

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jim ratcliff   Email jim ratcliff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone been out and checked on the acorn crop yet? A friend told me they are kinda scarce this year!

--------------------
well....let's go let the air out'a one!

Posts: 135 | From: Dublin,VA. | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eugene Slagle
Contributor 2010
Member # 23658

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eugene Slagle   Email Eugene Slagle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, the club has very little in acorns this season, our food plots just may pay off in droves then.

--------------------
Zona Custom Recurve: 60" 49# @ 27.5".
Sky Sky Hawk Recurve: 60" 47# @ 27.5".
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore, please take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.

Posts: 1242 | From: Locust Grove, Virginia | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peachey
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 6107

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Peachey   Email Peachey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took the binoculars up on the mountain a couple weeks ago and scoped out my favorite oak ridges. We have a lot of both white and red oaks again this year. Gonna make hunting tuff like last year. A lot of hickory nuts too, the squirrels are already cutting them.
Posts: 504 | From: Shawsville, Va. | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cool Springer
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 16772

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cool Springer   Email Cool Springer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lots of red oak acorns in Albemarle County. I have seen very few from the white oaks. Considering the bumper crop from the whites last year, I think they will be pretty scarce this year.
Like Peachy said, too many acorns can make the deer tough to pattern, so fewer may be better.

--------------------
Allegheny Mountain Recurve 62 @ 29
Allegheny Mountain Recurve 53 @ 29
Foley Longbow 53 @ 30
Foley Recurve 56 @ 29

Posts: 292 | From: Charlottesville, VA | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jack Denbow
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 9517

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jack Denbow   Email Jack Denbow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not too many in the northern valley. Like Peachey and Cool Springer said, I like it when there not too many acorns. I got pictures of a couple of nice bucks so I might stand a chance of bringing them back to the house.
Jack

--------------------
PBS Associate member
TGMM Family of the Bow
Life is good in the mountains

Posts: 1623 | From: Nowhere, Virginia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stingray45
Member # 34545

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stingray45   Email Stingray45   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haven't gotten on to check on my club property this year but the huge crop last year made it impossible to pattern the deer last year. I knew where they wanted to go because all of the standing oaks are on one side of the property, but the problem is trying to cover that side of the property with a bow. You couldn't go anywhere without stepping on an acorn so they could basically take any route they wanted to to cross through the property and still pick up some acorns on their way through. In past years you could pretty much know 1 or 2 trails they were going to take. I'll have to take a look this weekend see what it looks like it's gonna be.

--------------------
Dry Ridge Reflex/Deflex Longbow
66" 50#@27"
Zebrawood riser/maple limb cores

Posts: 28 | From: VA | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stickbndr
Member # 13972

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stickbndr   Email Stickbndr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not manywhite oaks in the areas surrounding Hpt Roads showing as of yet. Plenty of Hickory falling. Anyone know of the report in the Bath/Highland (around Warm Springs)areas?
Posts: 10 | From: Hampton, Va. | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
always89
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 3987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for always89   Author's Homepage   Email always89   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pretty speratic in the WMAs around Hampton Roads. The persimmons seemed to have dropped way early as well.
Posts: 588 | From: Chesapeake, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nook
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 1045

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nook   Email Nook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
White and red oaks starting to fall in the Charlottesville area. Looks like a good mast in central va. [archer]

--------------------
"After all, it is not the killing that brings satisfaction; it is the contest of skill and cunning. The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport." Dr. Saxton Pope
PBS Regular

Posts: 1120 | From: Charlottesville, Va | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Bartholomew
Contributor 2014
Member # 4064

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Bartholomew   Author's Homepage   Email David Bartholomew   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jen and I went out scouting, and - although late - cleared a few more "good spots" (we hope). Acorns are starting to fall in our area.

David

--------------------
WTCS(SW/DV) USN Retired

Posts: 1570 | From: Middlesex County, Virginia | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cool Springer
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 16772

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cool Springer   Email Cool Springer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Won't be long now guys. I hope I don't slip and fall on all the acorns in my driveway before the season opens!

I plan to get a jump on you by hunting in PA next Thursday and Friday. Be back just in time to hunt in VA Saturday morning.

Good luck to all of you!

--------------------
Allegheny Mountain Recurve 62 @ 29
Allegheny Mountain Recurve 53 @ 29
Foley Longbow 53 @ 30
Foley Recurve 56 @ 29

Posts: 292 | From: Charlottesville, VA | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stickbndr
Member # 13972

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stickbndr   Email Stickbndr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Forget what was mentioned last month about the lack of nuts around Hpt Roads or Chickahominy WMA. They started falling last week and still raining down heavily today.
Posts: 10 | From: Hampton, Va. | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jack Denbow
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 9517

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jack Denbow   Email Jack Denbow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went out this morning to put the seat pads on my ladder stands and think I will need a hard hat next Sat. LOL
Jack

--------------------
PBS Associate member
TGMM Family of the Bow
Life is good in the mountains

Posts: 1623 | From: Nowhere, Virginia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
roundbal
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 36932

Icon 1 posted      Profile for roundbal   Email roundbal   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went out last Saturday for a last minute look around and acorns were very scarce. It's gonna make it a tough early season.

--------------------
Kota Prairie Fire 55@28 60"
Thunderhorn Coup Stick 56@28 58"
Treadway Black Swamp 52@28 58"

Posts: 180 | From: Shenandoah Valley Virginia | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Bartholomew
Contributor 2014
Member # 4064

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Bartholomew   Author's Homepage   Email David Bartholomew   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here in Middlesex, they are are on the ground everywhere!!! Huge white oaks nuggets.

Jen and I went to AP Hill yesterday and the burl oaks are pretty big there, and dropping...

--------------------
WTCS(SW/DV) USN Retired

Posts: 1570 | From: Middlesex County, Virginia | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©