JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » State Trad Bowhunting Orgs » VIRGINIA - Traditional Bowhunters of Virginia » 2017 Virginia Bowhunter Stories (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: 2017 Virginia Bowhunter Stories
Cool Springer
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 16772

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cool Springer   Email Cool Springer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh Allen, you say that every year. One of these years we're going to take your truck keys as soon as you show up. Then you'll see what REALLY goes on at camp.

--------------------
Allegheny Mountain Recurve 62 @ 29
Allegheny Mountain Recurve 53 @ 29
Foley Longbow 53 @ 30
Foley Recurve 56 @ 29

Posts: 290 | From: Charlottesville, VA | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A.S.
SPONSOR
Member # 9316

Icon 1 posted      Profile for A.S.   Email A.S.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[knothead]

--------------------
http://www.tenringstrings.com

custom flemish twist bowstrings

Posts: 4216 | From: Ruckersville, Va | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elkstabber
Member # 12675

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elkstabber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I busted my butt chasing elk in Wyoming and New Mexico this year with nothing to show for it. I could have killed small ones in both states but I was there for a big one. New Mexico was the most frustrating because there were big bulls that I could get 50 yards from but as we know that's not enough. When the cover runs out and there are 10 cows watching you're not going to get any closer to the herd bull.

Luckily, hunting in VA is lot easier. Last Saturday evening I took my youngest daughter and we hunted out of the same tree. Actually, she didn't hunt but wanted to come along. So when small doe approached to 20' it was time to get busy. The doe sniffed our footprints and got nervous. About when she turned away I finally got the angle that I needed. The shot was perfect and as the blood was spilling out of the bottom of her chest my daughter squealed with excitement! She was more excited than I was.

The blood trail was short but unfortunately, I didn't take a photo until my daughter reminded me to. So, if anyone wants to see a marginal photo let me know and I'll figure out how to post.

Then this evening I hunted a new area and a crazy 3 point small buck trotted up near my stand and then circled. Which was nuts because I wasn't near a food source nor did I call at all. There were a few scrapes nearby (which was why I was there) but he didn't even check them. I took his photo from about 8 yards.

I'll be hunting more intensely soon to kill a nice buck or the next doe. I can see the bottom of my freezer and need to fix that.

Posts: 22 | From: Zuni, VA | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nook
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 1045

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nook   Email Nook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Curt enjoyed you Facebook posts of your elk hunting. Congrats on the doe with your daughter. I'm sure she will remember those moments long into her adulthood. Good hunting. Jeff [archer]

--------------------
"After all, it is not the killing that brings satisfaction; it is the contest of skill and cunning. The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport." Dr. Saxton Pope
PBS Regular

Posts: 1115 | From: Charlottesville, Va | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nook
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 1045

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nook   Email Nook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Had a visitor come by last Sat.(10-28-17) around 10am. Second one of the morning. the first one caught me on my first sit break at 8:40 with the phone in my hand. I swore I would only check the phone from a standng position from now on. Glad I did. An hour later I decided to check my phone for texts and this guy wandered in. Stowed the phone and went into predator mode. 28 yard shot. A little long, but hey this ain't no spectator sport.... 20 yard recovery.

-

He's in the background.

-

--------------------
"After all, it is not the killing that brings satisfaction; it is the contest of skill and cunning. The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport." Dr. Saxton Pope
PBS Regular

Posts: 1115 | From: Charlottesville, Va | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tom
2017 Contributor
Member # 2405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom   Email Tom   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good going Jeff, even if the photos disappeared on ya. Drawn a blamk so far but not many sits yet-am going to chase them hard next week.

--------------------
If you think you can or think you can't-you're right.

Posts: 3085 | From: Grottoes,Virginia, Shenandoah Valley | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jack Denbow
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 9517

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jack Denbow   Email Jack Denbow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jeff you are on a roll. You are doing good, I wish I could say the same about me.
Jack

--------------------
PBS Associate member
TGMM Family of the Bow
Life is good in the mountains

Posts: 1622 | From: Nowhere, Virginia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©