JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION FORUMS

Trad Gang.com   
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Legends and Pioneers » Jack Howard » PASSING OF JACK HOWARD (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: PASSING OF JACK HOWARD
Phil Magistro
Contributor 2016
Member # 439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phil Magistro   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Magistro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One thing that Jack Howard mentioned to me that illustrates his ability and dedication was that he never lost an animal that he hit with an arrow. Considering the number of animals he killed over his long career, that's quite an accomplishment.

Phil

--------------------
"I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best." - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 705 | From: Reading, PA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JC
Contributor 2014
Member # 148

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JC   Email JC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent post Charlie, a fitting remembrance.

--------------------
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Posts: 9619 | From: Ranger, GA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PAPALAPIN
Contributor 2016
Member # 1384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PAPALAPIN   Author's Homepage   Email PAPALAPIN   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CHARLIE

What a great testimonial to Jack. If we all could have gotten together for a memorial service, I could not think of a better Eulogy.

You have a way with words that challenges MR. SACKETT.

Like you, as a teenager, I grew up drooling over Jack's stories and ads that appeared in Archery Magazines. I always admired him and wished that I could afford to get one of his bows in the early '60's. I now have 8 of them, and more importantly became good friends with him via e-mail and telephone over the last 6 years. It was great to make his acquaintence. It was an honer to call him "FRIEND".

Ms. Dorothy may take you up on the offer for refinishing. I have traded e-mail with Bowdoc. He is agreeing to finish all that need it, of course at a charge. Also, Bowdoc always has a backlog of work. Your offer may be her best bet, but I would think it only fair that you get something for your efforts. I recommended to her that she sell theses bows at a reduced rate and let the buyers make arrangements to have them finished by Bowdoc, Droptine59, or anyone they want. However, any of these bows will have to be sold with no warranty or guarantee as Ms. Dorothy has do way of replacing a defective bow. Now, that is an oxymoron. A defective Jack Howard bow. I don't think there ever was such a thing. Jack once told me that he had never had to honor his warranty, or his guaranty that his bows were faster than anything you were currently shooting, or your money back.

--------------------
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow. If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead. The rest is just the delivery system.

Posts: 4219 | From: WHITE, GA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roughcountry
Contributing Member 2006
Member # 2496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roughcountry   Email Roughcountry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After reading what everyone posted here it strikes me that Mr Howard was one that gave much to this great lifestyle.
Not only did he raise the bar high for the rest of us, he provided the tools and insite on how to get there.

I have a few emails that I traded and will now cherish even more.

Thoughts and prayers go out to his wife and those close. RS

Posts: 2203 | From: Eastern Oregon | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George D. Stout
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 69

Icon 1 posted      Profile for George D. Stout   Email George D. Stout       Edit/Delete Post 
When I first got into archery, I wanted to know all of the whos, whys, whats and wheres; in particular, the whos of the sport.

I always looked for the escapades of Jack Howard in Bow and Arrow magazine; he most often hunted alone but many times his friend Doug Kittredge tagged along. Do yourself a favor and get ahold of some of the old Bow and Arrow magazines from the 60's and early 70's and look for his articles.

It's sad to have lost him, but it is even sadder to know that many will just follow-up with a "Jack who (?)" when his name is mentioned. I'm sure his old buddy, Doug Kittredge is heart-sick. Prayers from Pennsylavnia.

Posts: 5075 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PAPALAPIN
Contributor 2016
Member # 1384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PAPALAPIN   Author's Homepage   Email PAPALAPIN   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to everyone for your comments. I spoke to Mrs. Howard today and told her of all the comments that have been made. She was touched. She is not a computer person so she cannot log on to TRADGANG to read them, so I printed out all the comments made to this point and mailed them to her. I know she will appreciate them.

I hope that when my time comes and someone posts my passing here, that I can get 1/10 of the positive comments tht you have given Jack.

NAW, most of you will probably say
"Good ridance".

--------------------
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow. If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead. The rest is just the delivery system.

Posts: 4219 | From: WHITE, GA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
String Cutter
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2145

Icon 1 posted      Profile for String Cutter   Author's Homepage   Email String Cutter       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry for your loss. Anyone got pics of his art work? Or pics of him to post?

--------------------
Fatherhood is the greatest adventure a man can ever take.

Posts: 2578 | From: Richmond Va. | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charlie Lamb
Charter Member
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charlie Lamb   Email Charlie Lamb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's one from around 40 years ago...

-

--------------------
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Posts: 11275 | From: Missouri | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charlie Lamb
Charter Member
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charlie Lamb   Email Charlie Lamb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is the Howard Gamemaster. The bow of my dreams from childhood.

-

I own two of them now.

--------------------
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Posts: 11275 | From: Missouri | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phil Magistro
Contributor 2016
Member # 439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phil Magistro   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Magistro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's the Jet brochure cover. This bow has the best grip of any bow I've ever owned or shot.

-

--------------------
"I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best." - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 705 | From: Reading, PA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charlie Lamb
Charter Member
Member # 8

Almost forgot the Articles and Stories section... thanks Johnny! [thumbsup]

--------------------
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Kelly
Contributor 2016
Member # 1777

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly   Email Kelly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My condolences and prayers to Dorothy!

Very sorry to here of this. Was plannning on visiting with Jack sometime this Winter.

Papalapin;

Please email me at arrowskp@filertel.net

--------------------
>>>>============>

Enjoy the flight of an arrow amongst Mother Nature's Glory!

Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible!

>>>>============>

Yours for better bowhunting, Kelly

Posts: 1481 | From: N. Wisconsin | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HACKSAW
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 3211

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HACKSAW   Email HACKSAW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember Jacks stories of a grizzly around his tent and him sitting up all night. I was honored to have owned one of his bows in my early years of bowhunting. It is sad when legends pass,however he leaves us with tales of adventure and great bows. His family with great memories of a life lived the way he wanted to live it. Our family's prayers to his wife
Hacksaw

--------------------
" IN THE SPRING I STRUT "
" IN THE FALL I RUT "

Posts: 262 | From: Mexico, Maine | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terry Green
ADMIN
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Terry Green   Author's Homepage   Email Terry Green       Edit/Delete Post 
Charlie,

Would you mind copying and pasting your 1st post to the Articles/Stories forum?

And, if anyone has any good pics of Jack I wish you would send them to me via email.... we'll add them to Charlie's comments on that forum as well as put up a tribute banner.

--------------------
"An anchor point is not a destination, it's an evolution to execution" - Me

"It's important, when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Black Powder Gang ......... & Loop Addictions (COMING TODAY !!!!!!!)

Posts: 30569 | From: GAWGIA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charlie Lamb
Charter Member
Member # 8

Will do chief!! [thumbsup]

--------------------
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©