JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION FORUMS

Trad Gang.com   
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Legends and Pioneers » Fred Bear » Hunting with Fred Bear (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Hunting with Fred Bear
leftbow
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2502

Icon 1 posted      Profile for leftbow   Email leftbow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can't beat those mementos. Good for you.
Posts: 235 | From: sayreville,nj | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jake
SPONSOR
Member # 105

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jake   Email Jake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good Stuff CHarlie. You should write a book. It would sell better than most out there today. You have so many stories you never cease to amaze me. Thank you Charlie.

--------------------
www.kmesharp.com

Posts: 2410 | From: IN | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BillW
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 257

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BillW   Email BillW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently read Dick Lattimer's book about Fred. I think the '75 hunt was the promotional hunt where they brought up a couple of dealers. I sure wish I could have met Fred and to have hunted out of the same camp is something I bet most here wish they could have experienced. Wow Charlie, getting to shoot Fred's bow and talk to him at the same time....Did he offer any shooting pointers (not that you would need it)?
Thanks!
Bill

--------------------
Aim Small

Posts: 1232 | From: IL | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tedd@work
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tedd@work   Email Tedd@work       Edit/Delete Post 
So how well do you shoot the bow? Got some pics of that thing for us??

Tedd

--------------------
You never know how much is "enough" until you know how much is "more than enough"

Posts: 711 | From: New Freedom, PA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
N.O.S.guy
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 6445

Icon 1 posted      Profile for N.O.S.guy   Email N.O.S.guy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sir,
My hats off to ya. You have done things in your life that I am still planning to do with mine. I truly wish that I could have meet someone as great as Fred Bear. I would have loved to have meet Howard Hill, Ben Pearson, or Earl Hoyt as well. Thanks for sharing those pictures and the story.

--------------------
"Dangon, man... You gotta arra... stickbow and string... lil'ole broadhead... talkin bout ole TWANG man... backstraps are served... know what I mean, man."
Somewhere between West Georgia and Southern Mississippi.

Posts: 287 | From: Georgia | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Littlefeather
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 982

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Littlefeather   Email Littlefeather   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had the opportunity to hear those stories first hand. I always feel honored to hear them again. Somehow we can't build a future without some building blocks from the past. Very cool Lambo. I can't wait to hear them again sometime next to a campfire. Maybe Oregon, ok? CK
Posts: 5961 | From: So. Texas | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luv2bowhunt
2017 Contributor
Member # 4943

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luv2bowhunt   Author's Homepage   Email luv2bowhunt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What a great story... and I can only imagine what an awesome experience that must have been! Too cool [thumbsup]

How bout some pics of that bow he built for ya Charlie [Big Grin]

Kevin.

--------------------
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God."

Fred Bear

Posts: 1493 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charlie Lamb
Charter Member
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charlie Lamb   Email Charlie Lamb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Guys... nobody knows better than me how lucky I've been to meet Fred and spend time with him in that environment.

My close friend Gary Norris killed a bear the first night of hunting and spent many afternoons with just he and Fred in camp (I always hated him for that! [Wink] )... Fred was more interested in the fishing at that point in his life. Like he said, "I've killed a lot of black bears."

He did hunt a couple of evenings. More for the sake of the outfitter than anything else... so the guy could say that Fred had hunted from his camp, I'm sure.

Fred made what he called a "stalking blind". He built a ground blind of sorts and cleared a path to it from the downwind side.
He'd go off in the timber and dink around, then every once in a while he'd "stalk" the bait to see if anything was there.

I thought that was pretty cool.

--------------------
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Posts: 11262 | From: Missouri | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charlie Lamb
Charter Member
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charlie Lamb   Email Charlie Lamb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BillW... I needed a lot of pointers to shoot his bow left handed. I could just get it to full draw that way. [Big Grin]
He said I was a pretty good hand with it, but I think he was just being nice.

Tedd... I was shooting that bow in this story on the Articles and Stories forum.
The Bear and the Bouncing Bow
Yeah, I think I shot it pretty good! [Wink]

[ April 07, 2007, 06:06 PM: Message edited by: Terry Green ]

--------------------
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Posts: 11262 | From: Missouri | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OH at work
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OH at work   Email OH at work   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Charlie,
Do you remember what the draw weight of that bow was?

Joe

Posts: 1071 | From: Dayton, Oh | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Madpigslayer
Charter Member
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Madpigslayer   Author's Homepage   Email Madpigslayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
2 questions Charlie...

1)so you actually WERE young once!?? [Smile]

2)how does the low cut shelf bow shoot compared to your other bows, worth it in your opinion???

...inquiring minds you know. thanks for sharing the story!

--------------------
...gosh this is hard.

Hailey (5) 3 minutes into a pilates workout

Posts: 6159 | From: Alberta Canada | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
non-typical
Contributor 2017
Member # 160

Icon 1 posted      Profile for non-typical   Email non-typical   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great post Charlie. Delightful reading on my lunch break!

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 1272 | From: New Franklin, Missouri | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charlie Lamb
Charter Member
Member # 8

Tedd... here's another bear taken with that bow.

-

I'll have to dig out that bow... it's in storage right now. When I do I'll post some pics for ya.

--------------------
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Charlie Lamb
Charter Member
Member # 8

N.O.S. guy... Earl Hoyt was one of my mentors when I was growing up. Pretty much had the run of his shop from the time I was about 13.

Somewhere there's a picture of Earl and I with the trophies we were presented for being two of the three guys that killed deer that year (around 1964) in the St.Louis Bowhuntes club.
Great man!!

Oh at work... that bow was 65# and Fred would have been 75 or thereabouts.

Calvin... I think I was. But I could be hallucinatin!! [Confused]

The shelf on that bow wasn't "exactly" like Freds but still pointed very naturally.
Todays bowyers have jumped on the low shelf band wagon... mostly thanks to Fred Asbells articles... and I think that's a good thing.

--------------------
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

OH at work
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OH at work   Email OH at work   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good stuff Charlie,
I only had the chance to meet Fred one time in the early 70's when he came and gave a talk at our small town. He really had some good stories to tell!!!

Joe

Posts: 1071 | From: Dayton, Oh | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©