Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor
Visit the Sponsor Classifieds
Kustom King Traditional Archery

Click for the CLASSIFIEDS RULES

Trad Gang.com   
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Legends and Pioneers » Fred Bear » Hunting with Fred Bear (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Hunting with Fred Bear
Carcajou
Contributor 2017
Member # 1206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carcajou   Email Carcajou   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Charlie~
You Da Man! You never cease to amaze me with your stories and history.....a very lucky man indeed!

What an experience!

--------------------
" Brothers of the Flaming Arrow "
" I came in from the Wilderness, a creature void of form"
" TGMM Family of the Bow"

Posts: 4153 | From: Tug Hill, NY | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Lyon
Charter Member - Contributor 2017
Member # 35

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Lyon   Email Ray Lyon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for sharing Charlie!!! [Not Worthy]

--------------------
Shrewhaven Lodge co-chef

Posts: 4178 | From: Traverse City, MI | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KodiakMagnum
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5635

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KodiakMagnum   Email KodiakMagnum       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for sharing!! you truly are blessed [Not Worthy] [Not Worthy] [Not Worthy]
Posts: 115 | From: Maryland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TexMex
Contributing Member 2006
Member # 3788

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TexMex   Email TexMex   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Charlie, thank you so much. [Not Worthy] [Not Worthy]
Posts: 6227 | From: Cleburne, Texas | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PAPALAPIN
Contributor 2016
Member # 1384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PAPALAPIN   Author's Homepage   Email PAPALAPIN   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DANG CHARLIE

Them must be some old pictures. Yer hair still has color to it, and yer waistline don't look so big.

Great pictures, and I'll bet, great memories.

TO ALL YOU JEALOUS GUYS

Don't dispair about not being able to hunt with Fred Bear, Earl Hoyt, and now Jack Howard is gone. There are still a few TRADITIONAL ICONS around. CHARLIE LAMB for one. Invite him on a hunt, he might just take you up on it.

--------------------
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow. If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead. The rest is just the delivery system.

Posts: 4214 | From: WHITE, GA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mudfeather
Contributing member - Charter Member
Member # 1407

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mudfeather   Email Mudfeather   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so dang mad at myself. We sat around a campfire for a week in CO and the listened to the guys that didn't have nothin to share talk.... [Confused]

Charlie, The next time........and Lord I do hope there is a next time.......we get to hunt together [campfire] ...I want to be priviledged enough to HEAR this straight from you. PLEASE?????????? [Not Worthy]

I'm not above begging!!!!!! [wavey]

--------------------
"Dad, you and me are bow shooting huntin buddies OK?"

My son Kasey- age 5...Jan 8, 2007

Keith Bruner

Posts: 1210 | From: better in Metter, GA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peckerwood
Contributor 2014
Member # 2612

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Peckerwood   Email Peckerwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats what I love about this site! You come home from a looooooong day at work and can read about Charlie hunting with the Bear. Charlie, what other great stories are you keeping from us?
Thanks for sharing and keep'em coming.

Bill

--------------------
NO matter where you go there you are !

Posts: 1102 | From: Shippensburg,Pa. | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Randy Morin
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2199

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Randy Morin   Email Randy Morin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow very cool read Charlie. I could read this kinda stuff all day long. (Hint: "more, more, more") The pics are awesome too. Thanks for takin the time to share this with us. Oh yeah, did you say you were "stoked"? I knew you were young at heart!!! Rock-on Charlie!!!
[thumbsup] [Not Worthy] [Not Worthy]

Posts: 1770 | From: montana | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frank V
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 3547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frank V   Email Frank V   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Charlie, I'm probably not the only one who'd like to hear some things about Fred from someone who's met him. Thanks for sharing with us. God places people in our lives, when he placed Fred Bear in yours,even if for a short time, you were blessed. Frank

--------------------
U.S.A. "Ride For The Brand Or Leave."

Posts: 1960 | From: S.W. Montana | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traxx
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Traxx   Email Traxx   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats,just freakin awesome!!!!!!!!

--------------------
Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye. Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark.

Posts: 1410 | From: Reno Nevada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charlie Lamb
Charter Member
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charlie Lamb   Email Charlie Lamb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We don't bash compounds here and that ain't what this one is about... Fred and company were just introducing the Bear Alaskan Compound bow and they were shooting promotional shots for the catalog and adds.

Of course Fred had his own personal left hand compound. You know what? The shelf was cut down on that bow just like his recurve. Shootin off his finger with a compound bow... kinda funny.

MAN!! I wonder where THAT bow went!

Fred was shooting a few shots with that compound and he'd raise the bow and draw just like with his recurve.
He'd just about jump out of his skin when the thing rolled over. He'd shoot and shake his head.

I asked him what he thought and he said, he had to shoot it for the promotion, but that when the wheels rolled over it really blew his aiming.
"I really don't like this thing", is what he told me.

Go figure! [Wink]

--------------------
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Posts: 11165 | From: Missouri | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Butts2
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5836

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Butts2   Email Butts2   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is great stuff
thanks
more more more
yes I am greedy

--------------------
Schafer Silvertip 58" 61@28
Hunter Safety Certificate
Bowhunter Safety Certificate
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Associatio
Pope & Young Club

Posts: 584 | From: Silt, Colorado | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charlie Lamb
Charter Member
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charlie Lamb   Email Charlie Lamb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I should add that the pics of Fred shooting his compound did come out in magazines and the catalog that year.
I don't have a pic of it myself or I show it.

Anyone got a catalog collection?

--------------------
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Posts: 11165 | From: Missouri | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Lyon
Charter Member - Contributor 2017
Member # 35

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Lyon   Email Ray Lyon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember that Bear Alaskan compound picture well. It was a over the shoulder shot of Fred at full draw in a woods setting. He has his classic red check plaid shirt on. I ALMOST bought one of those that was sitting used on the local shops shelf (I think it was around 1977/78). Instead, I set aside my recurve and bought a Howard Hill Tembo longbow.

The rest is history.

--------------------
Shrewhaven Lodge co-chef

Posts: 4178 | From: Traverse City, MI | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meathook
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 67

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Meathook   Author's Homepage   Email Meathook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bet old Fred got back from that hunt and told the story to all his buddies.

Probably sounded like this:

"You'll never guess who was in camp with us this week, Thats right THE Charlie Lamb. Whoda thunk a little bowyer like me would get a chance to hunt with a guy like him." [tunglaff]

--------------------
"Go ahead and run ya gotta sleep sometime." - Meathook's Mom

Posts: 4111 | From: Western NY | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2016 ~ Trad Gang.com ©