JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION FORUMS

Trad Gang.com   
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Legends and Pioneers » Paul Schafer » Memories of Paul Schafer - Gene Wensel (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Memories of Paul Schafer - Gene Wensel
bayoulongbowman
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 78

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bayoulongbowman   Email bayoulongbowman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gene, I know that took a little out of you to tell, thanks for sharing ....mark#78 [thumbsup]

--------------------
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had better be right!"

Posts: 12170 | From: Baton Rouge , La. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Old Gobbler
Member # 5619

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Old Gobbler   Email Old Gobbler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wonderful Post Gene... Thanks for sharing the memories of a very special person!
Posts: 1 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kyle
Contributing member - Charter Member
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kyle   Email kyle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for sharing that with us Gene.

Kyle

--------------------
WWJD

Posts: 2541 | From: Center, TX | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Buckeye
Charter Member
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Buckeye   Email Buckeye   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That was well worth taking a break from the paper work to pop in here and read!

B

--------------------
...all to often technology is substituted for skill and knowledge, guess that is why I married a teacher and shoot stickbows!

Posts: 193 | From: Ohio | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SuperKodiak38
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 3621

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SuperKodiak38   Email SuperKodiak38   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[thumbsup]

--------------------
"Go afield with a good attitude, respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience.It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person."

Fred Bear

Posts: 1641 | From: Calvert County Maryland | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raven
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1891

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raven   Email Raven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[thumbsup] Thanks! [wavey]
Posts: 1497 | From: Mt. Gilead, Ohio | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Nail
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 220

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Nail   Email John Nail   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well said. Reads like a best friend's Eulogy

--------------------
Is it too late to be what I could have been?

Posts: 2709 | From: S. Indiana | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peter c iacavazzi
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for peter c iacavazzi   Author's Homepage   Email peter c iacavazzi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gene,

I luv ya!

Peter Iacavazzi

--------------------
Hidden-E-Outdoors

Posts: 598 | From: Bozeman, Montana | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
donb
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1335

Icon 1 posted      Profile for donb   Author's Homepage   Email donb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. Great read. Thanks for sharing that Gene. I'm going to copy and save it in my library. Paul wrote me a personal letter in the late 80's when I was just getting into Traditional archery. I was starving for good information, and I had learned that Paul would be a great source for this type of information, so I called everyday for about 2 weeks until I reached him on a Sunday afternoon on his off-day. He was having a bad day and didn't particularly feel like answering basic archery questions so he was short with me. (Only later did I realize what a jerk I was for being inconsiderate of his personal time) I shot off a letter to him basically wondering why he was short with me and so he responded with a letter of his own. Here are a few quotes..."Thanks for taking the time to write and thank me for my time. I realize I was short with you. But my phone rings from 6:00 a m till 10 at night,7 days.And people are very inconsiderate of my time. I am one person trying to the job of about 3 people. And I like anyone else likes to have a day off. I live bowhunting 365 days a year talk to about 30 people a day about the same thing,I even get call on Christmas day. And I like anyone else has bad days. And I'm afraid you caught me on one of mine. I love helping people with bowhunting and your questions are very common, not simple questions at all. And if I can ever help you in any way in the future please don't hesitate to call, but please call on a weekday at a reasonable hour and please not on a Sunday. Personally, I feel the Wensel brother's, Asbel, Shulz and a hand full of others well known bowhunters, are truly interested in our sport." "Good luck and thanks again, Paul Schafer P.S. Sorry for the sloppy letter, but I wanted to at least write". Believe me, this letter is precious to me. His spirit lives on through the voices of all who knew him.

--------------------
"Lead on!"

Posts: 127 | From: sharpsburg,ga | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bigsow
Member # 5606

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bigsow   Email bigsow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great post Gene. Never met Shaf but talked to him several times doing some horse trading many years ago. And yes, over a period of a few mos. he did get the best of me. An old skier, I have spent a few weeks in Whitefish and love it. Met the director of operations over a couple drinks and he showed me were Shaf went down. Skied down and left my hat in his honor. Hit the fly fishing shops in town and ask about Paul.Paul WH00000HH. Say what! This was a modest man and it would do him justice for you, and his many hunting buddies, to wright more of his exploits.
Posts: 16 | From: wisconsin | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hutch
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1092

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hutch   Email Hutch       Edit/Delete Post 
When I was about 5 or 6 years old I recieved a red fiberglass longbow for christmas. Beings it was made by Fred Bear company, my first real hero was Fred Bear. I lost that bow for being unresponsible shortly theirafter(sp).I'm now 31 years old. Spring of 2003 I came back to archery allbeit compound. But, I picked up the Feb/March issue of TBM. Shortly after that sold my compound bought a recurve,whatelse Fred Bear Grizzly. Long story short,I've never met any of the big names of traditional archery,but,the more I read the more I realize that I'm surrounded by hero's.
People that I can look to for encouragement, knowledge, or just a conversation.

Thank you very much for being the people that you are.

Gene thank you for the story about Paul.

Moderators and founders thank you for a place I can go any time day or night and share a campfire with some great people.

Hutch [thumbsup]

--------------------
"Who STOLE the Little Delta Bows life??? terry green."

Posts: 448 | From: S.E.Okla. | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lee Viv
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lee Viv   Email Lee Viv       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Gene! Can't wait to meet you at the United Bowhunters of PA Rendevous later this month!

Lee Vivian
United Bowhunters of Pa
Lancaster County Rep.

Posts: 1424 | From: Lankster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim Stewart
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 341

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jim Stewart   Email Jim Stewart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That was fine, Gene. Thanks for sharing...

--------------------
Jim

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away."

Posts: 901 | From: Columbia, SC | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chuck Nesset
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 691

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chuck Nesset   Email Chuck Nesset   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gene, nicely done and thanks for taking the time to share those memories. It's appreciated more than you know by those of us never knew Paul.
Posts: 105 | From: Harrison, Michigan | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WoodChips
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WoodChips   Email WoodChips       Edit/Delete Post 
Gene,
Thanks so much. Really enjoyed reading it.

--------------------
Brandon Byers

Posts: 541 | From: Springdale, Arkansas | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©